VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, first of all, I'm new in this forum, so I hope I can help others.

Okay, here is my question: What is the best HDD recorder out there? I'm thinking about switching from DVD Recording to this new methood of recording.
    Also, I would like to know if with the recorder is possible to put the recordings I do in a USB Drive.

Thank you and have a nice day.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Best HDD recorder for what kind of TV broadcast source? Is this for over-the-air digital (ATSC) TV or do you intend to record something else?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I could use it for the local channels, but I would like one that supports my digital cable tv box. The box has the RCA plugs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe someone from Mexico knows of a recording device that does all of the things that you want but I do not. In the USA, I have seen a few different recording devices with an ATSC tuner (digital over-the-air TV tuner) that can schedule recordings and store them on a USB hard drive, but none can also record the output from a cable box.

However, it is possible to customize a PC to allow it to control a cable box and record its output as well as record local over-the-air broadcast stations. I have done that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VideogameDC View Post
    I could use it for the local channels, but I would like one that supports my digital cable tv box. The box has the RCA plugs.
    if you try to record from your digital cable tv box. you may run into some kind of copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet: Almost nobody knows about these things over here, so this is why I'm asking over here.

october262: I haven't ran into a Copy Protection, because I've been recording many stuff from it with my DVD recorder since 2012.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Magnavox manufactures HDD/DVD recorders, so you might want to check their web site to see if the units they have available meet your needs. Walmart carries them on their web site as well. I had an early model that worked well enough, but limited to Standard Definition recording. This early unit had input via the built-in digital Tuner or S-video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I actually own a Magnavox DVD Recorder, it's a very simple model that it only records to DVD, doesn't have the HDD feature.
    Like mentioned earlier, I live in Mexico, mexican Walmart doesn't sell anything like that unfortunately.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Magnavox HDD DVD recorder as well but did not suggest one because you said you did not want a DVD recorder. They do work well, but as mentioned previously only record in standard definition. I looked on MercadoLibre, and saw a few listed but the asking price seemed outrageous.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I said I own a Magnavox DVD Recorder, I bought it on MercadoLibre when it was reasonably cheap (Thank god I did that). Last time I checked the device with the same seller I bught it, it cost more expensive than it did 2 years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think most DVD Recorders on MercadoLibre are way more expensive than buying them on the product's official page tho.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are a few other things about the Magnavox DVD recorders with a hard drive that I forgot to mention. The hard drive (pre-installed by the maker) is internal. There is no way to connect a USB drive. Recordings on the hard drive are encrypted, so you won't be able to save recordings without dubbing them to a DVD. Also, if your cable box applies analog copy-once protection to the composite video signal for some program that you record, then you will not be able to dub that recording to a DVD.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th May 2014 at 11:15.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the cable box doesn't do the ''analog copy-once protection'' because I was able to record many stuff from my TV and then save in many DVD's those stuff
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!