VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an hp g6. It gets as far as the hp screen and reboots right away. I've resetted the bios and that didn't help. I am going to try to flash the bios. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried doing a windows repair?Hard to say what's wrong until you give more info such as can you see the hdd in the bios and did this happen after shutting down windows improperly and have you got the power plugged into the wall?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some models need this trick from hp.

Reset a notebook with a removable battery

To perform a hard reset on a computer with a removable battery, use the following steps:

Turn off the computer.

Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.

Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.

Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Remove the battery from the battery compartment.

Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.

Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.

Press the Power button to turn on the computer.

If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally , and then press the Enter key.

After reconnecting each of the peripheral devices, run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update all device drivers.

----

Try this before anything else
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WinSpecToR View Post
    I have an hp g6. It gets as far as the hp screen and reboots right away. I've resetted the bios and that didn't help. I am going to try to flash the bios. Any ideas?
    I think it's highly unlikely that a bios flash will fix this issue. You can try it, just don't be surprised if it makes no difference. There is a small chance it might fix your problem, but most likely it won't.

I'd try the trick Bjs suggested. If you still have the problem, try to boot from a Windows DVD and do a Windows repair as johns0 suggested. This is HP so you may not have a Windows DVD. Not really sure what you can do in that case other than pay a repair shop. If you get this working again, note that Windows 7 and above (not sure about earlier versions, but I know 7 and above have this) has an option to create a recovery CD or DVD. You should do that and store it somewhere in case you get into problems like this again. The problem you have could be caused by a major problem with Windows itself that needs a repair.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You're able to get into the BIOS, then the system is working. Either some Windows files got corrupted or there's a problem with the memory or hard drive. Check the drive shows in the BIOS. Download the Memtest USB installer and create a bootable USB drive to test the memory.

If it passes, then you can try to repair Windows if you made the recovery media when you first bought the laptop or if you have the installation DVD for it. You could download an ISO from Digital River or borrow a DVD, but it has to be the same version as reported in DOS or it won't work. Or you can launch the system recovery; backup your data before you start, you can use a Linux live disc...

The live disc will let you know if the problem is the drive. If the memory failed, you can try taking it out (disconnect the battery and power cord) and cleaning the gold contact with a white pencil eraser.

I have seen laptops behave that way due to a bad graphics controller; the screen would always go staticky first when displaying the Windows logo or desktop. When that happens the controller chip has to be re-soldered i.e. you need a new motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I took the hard drive out last night and the laptop was able to detect it was missing after the hp screen. For some reason, there is no hdd field in the bios at all. I don't meal that the hdd isn't seen in the bios but there is no actual hdd field.

I had a cd to launch into win RE on win 7 and attempted a few restore points which didn't complete.

I will give the recovery a go and the trick mentioned above.

PS - WinRE sees the OS on the drive so the hdd should be ok.
    Quote Quote  
  7. So the trick worked.. but what did draining the power do to fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by WinSpecToR View Post
    So the trick worked.. but what did draining the power do to fix it?
    According to HP website:

"A hard or forced reset erases all information in the computer's memory which may restore functionality. Resetting your computer forces the system to clear and reestablish the software connections between the BIOS and the hardware."

Source: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&docname=c01684768
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Interesting......
    Quote Quote  
  10. Essentially, it wasn't turning off correctly. Removing battery and power forces a true shutdown.

Would need to see the timing on the original reboot. IF simply detecting a bootable drive causes reboot, likely bad drive or need format. If boot process commenced and then reboot happens, corrupted Windows files.

Go back into BIOS and remove the logo display, then relate EXACTLY what you see on the screen, time after appearance, and last msg before reboot and timing.

"Seeing" the Os on the drive don't mean much, other than it is not totally electrically dead.
    If it reboots on "detecting drives", then you likely need a new drive.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!