VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi!

I have two USB video grabbers with capturing resolution 720×576 in PAL systems.

I'm searching web for USB or PCI video grabber with resolution minimally 800×600, better up to 1280×1024 with Composite and S-Video inputs.
    I found many grabbers but only in few cases was written resolution and generally described was only one but price was higher than 1000 EUR

I'm searching price up to 200 EUR, no more.

Nice feature can be capturing VGA

Many thanks for everything!

Miro
    Last edited by MIRKOSOFT; 28th May 2014 at 14:38.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Capture via composite and S-Video normally doesn't support using resolutions greater than 720x576. Composite and S-Video are standard definition video connections.

StarTech PEXHDCAP is a PCI-e x1 card with the other connections you want but not composite or S-video. The device outputs uncompressed video which is compressed using software. The price charged by online retailers in the USA is usually lower than the manufacturer's listed price, however the price charged in the EU is likely going to be higher than what is customary in the USA.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th May 2014 at 15:27.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi!

Thank you... really looks great - better than I wanted!
    My Q is now final:
    Exist this capture device to standard PCI? Or exist PCIe to PCI bus adaptor?

Thank you veeeery much!

Miro
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope,you need a pci-e bus for it to work,best to upgrade your computer if you are going to capture hd.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    OK, I have only one PCIe 1 and three PCIe 16 - and the one PCIe 1 occupies my WiFi card....
    But I can use RJ45, no problem... it was only Q

Thank you very much! Guys, you're fantastic and this forum at all - here I found many answers!

Miro
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use a pci-ex16 if it isn't occupied,it will work for a pci-e capture card.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MIRKOSOFT View Post
    Hi!

Thank you... really looks great - better than I wanted!
    My Q is now final:
    Exist this capture device to standard PCI? Or exist PCIe to PCI bus adaptor?

Thank you veeeery much!

Miro
    I edited my post after you wrote this. Just to be sure you know, let me restate that the StarTech PEXHDCAP does not support composite and S-Video. I thought it might, but apparently not.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    No, it's ok - it support also Composite video - that's ok, I have SVHS2CV cable...

PCIe 16 are three - one is occupied by videocard, two are free, but - is connector compatible with PCIe 1? I'm confused...

BTW. I found lower price - lower than 100 EUR with free shipping.

Miro
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    They are compatible,i used my spare pci-e 16 for testing my pci-e sound card and it works.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    OK, thank you for all - I'll buy one and enjoy...

Miro
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MIRKOSOFT View Post
    No, it's ok - it support also Composite video - that's ok, I have SVHS2CV cable...
    But S-VHS/S-Video is, at most, 720x576. There is no point capturing at a "higher" resolution. It's impossible. If it looks like you can, then the device is really capturing at 720x576 (because that is the digital equivalent of the resolution of the analogue signal on the cable), and then upscaling.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, I know - it was described in this thread - no more than 720×576...
    But I have solution: converter S-Video or composite (by switch) to VGA - converts video to UXGA - there will be possible to use my source (8-bit computer Commodore 128) - and no problem - also other solution CGA2VGA - it allows to convert output in Commodore 128 CGA resolutions to VGA.
    This was reason why can be VGA capture nice feature...
    And this model accepts also HDMI - so I can record my HDTV... I never saw so cheap solution... and so perfect!

Miro
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The StarTech PEXHDCAP, like nearly all HDMI capture devices, will not capture HDCP-protected HDMI signals. This means that recording HDTV using HDMI is not likely to work because HDTV set top boxes almost always apply HDCP to their HDMI output. Since the StarTech PEXHDCAP lacks an HDMI out for watching TV as you record, you will also need to buy an HDMI splitter. If you are lucky enough to find one, some HDMI splitters remove HDCP as a side effect.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    I own one HDMI splitter and one DVI-D splitter with reduction HDMI2DVI-D.

Miro
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!