VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi

since I have installed windows 8 64bit I see the playback window of my NLE flipped: my cat is upsidedown!

Maybe the NLE uses directshow, and the problem happens only when the project setting is set to 24bit.

Such a thing does not happen in windows XP: only in win7/win8 32/64bit this happen, I have do many proof in the same pc and I'm shure the problem is only changing from xp to win7/win8

During installation of the nle on win8, windows asked me to install directplay but I don't know if it is involved (in programs-->windows functionality-->legacy-->directplay)

seems I have installed directx11 in win8, I have try to install direct9 but the problem remains

What can I do? thanks

ps: IS* flipped (error in title)

ps: seems strange but If if set the "compatibility mode windowsXP sp2/sp3" the nle don't work well and it crash. The program blade.exe work well i normal mode in win8 64 bit
    Only the installer of the nle have to be set in compatibily mode, but the .exe (blade.exe or speedrazor.exe) does not need compatibility. Hoewver not seems a problem of compatibility. Is a setting of directshow/directplay?
    Last edited by marcorocchini; 28th May 2014 at 04:13.
    Quote Quote  
  2. this is winXP

Click image for larger version

Name:	CATWXP.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	25418

and this is windows 8.1 64bit

Name:	catwin8.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	25419
    Quote Quote  
  3. - improper DS video input driver or wrong pin connection.
    Installing proper and exact video card driver may resolve.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 8.x is VERY-Very-very different from Windows 2000 or XP.
    So it's not a big surprise that your ancient NLE works weirdly under Windows 8.

In fact, the big surprise is that your NLE somehow still works with the ***est operating system ever.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That looks to be an error in your NLE, not Windows OS or an architectural bug. Probably because that NLE app wasn't written to be compliant with Win 7/8, or with 64bit.

Does it happen in other apps while running Win7/8, for example WMP, Vlc, or QuickTime players? If not, for sure it is just your app. <edit>If it is in every video, then it probably is a video driver or renderer like the others have said.</edit>

Which is part of the reasons we keep telling you to ditch it and get a real NLE!

BTW, maybe your cat likes being upside down.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 28th May 2014 at 10:48.
    Quote Quote  
  6. This could be the one of the reason that Windows 8 OS stat graph is also UpSide-Down.

You can fix this issue in 2 ways:
    1) By installing exact & proper video input device driver. Mostly it is YUV renderer.
    2) Mount your computer chair UpSide-Down from the ceiling.
    In later option do not forget safety belt and helmet.
    In case of any disaster, just sue MS with a proof of this pic.

================================================== ===================
    Now you guys can imagine level of knowledge of MS engineering team, and their software testing patterns.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I would rather suggest you to contact MS support for that. (Do not bother yourself for the legal keys).
    In a day or two they will revert back to you. Try using IIRC channel first.
    If required, they will publish an update as well.
    Quote Quote  
  8. This is a very common problem. It can be fixed by a graphics card driver update or a different video decoder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just out of curiousity, if you flipped it back upright and rendered it out. Is it still upsidedown?
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Just out of curiousity, if you flipped it back upright and rendered it out. Is it still upsidedown?
    rendering and axport is all ok. When image appear flipped, but export is ok. Seems it's only a problem of view playback window, and only in 24 bit-view mode.

I think the video board is not the problem: I have do many proof in 5 different pc

The problem persist only when I have windows 7 or windows 8. In xp is all ok.

maybe is a queston of directdraw
    Quote Quote  
  11. just a quick q?
    We know you flipped a cat, How about cutie?
    Do you, too? or you are flipped, may be!
    Quote Quote  
  12. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    rendering and axport is all ok. When image appear flipped, but export is ok. Seems it's only a problem of view playback window, and only in 24 bit-view mode.

I think the video board is not the problem: I have do many proof in 5 different pc

The problem persist only when I have windows 7 or windows 8. In xp is all ok.

maybe is a queston of directdraw
    Equally possible, there is a bug or a design flaw in your beloved NLE, and it only becomes evident with the recent versions of Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Equally possible, there is a bug or a design flaw in your beloved NLE, and it only becomes evident with the recent versions of Windows.
    Possible.
    If there is a bug in NLE, all windows XP, 7 and 8 should have consistent flip.
    Seems like a change in default system renderer for Win7 & Win8.
    ATM I do not have any xp, 7 or 8 machine to spot the differences.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can test your DirectShow theory by creating an Avisynth script with DirectShowSource and open it in Virtualdub to see if the image is flipped...

DirectShowSource("catvideo.mxf")

But I think your beloved SpeedRazor NLE has gone to the dogs.........
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Buddy.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	25427  

Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  15. If the program has the option to use Windows GDI instead of DirectShow for the preview output -- use it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If the program has the option to use Windows GDI instead of DirectShow for the preview output -- use it.
    yes it have! ^^ and the cat is not upsidedown but quality of playback is lower...
    do you know if I can download gdi for win8 that improve quality?

Name:	GDI.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	25434

when I set

Use directdraw= cat upsidedown (wrong) but quality is ok

use directdraw overlay= cat ok but quality wrong (too aliasing in details)

use GDI = cat ok but quality lower
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Windows 8.x is VERY-Very-very different
    Gaga YOU'VE BEEN A VERY VERY BAD GIRL
    Quote Quote  
  18. Once again: update to the latest WHQL certified drivers your graphics card. They may have fixed the bug.
    Quote Quote  
  19. with a guess your problem is solved by now.
    originally posted by marcorocchini
    Gaga YOU'VE BEEN A VERY VERY BAD GIRL
    Would you mind laying out specifications - characteristics of a BaD GiRL? in other words...
    What exactly do a BaD GiRLs?
    I am all confuse b'coz one besides me here always kick my SSA.
    Quote Quote  
  20. mm my problem is not solved: I cannot understand why in win7/8 my cat is upsidedown. Unfortunately is not a problem of video driver: I have jet download and installed the latest and in everycase is not a problem of graphics drivers. Maybe it is a problem of version directx?

Windows xd have directx 9, while Windows 7/8 use directx11 and another different version of directdraw but.. little problem in win7/8 there is not (or I think is not) possible to unistal/eradicate directx

I think my cat is straight if I install directx 9 in place of directx11, but it is not easy to uninstall DirectX11, I do not know if this is possible through official or cross

(the bad girl is not my idea, my cat saw that when have seen his post
    of course I reffered to Lady Gaga video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVBsypHzF3U&list=RDEVBsypHzF3U
    I hope El Heggunte not be offended)

mmm maybe are you jealous os of my incredible NLE speed razor :=) that I have adapt for HD ^^
    Last edited by marcorocchini; 29th May 2014 at 12:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you post a copy of this modified speed razor, I'd like to take for a spin. I could use a good laugh.....
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check the Direct Draw documentation for anything that could flip an image in the current version, then compare it with the documentation for the old version. It's possible your program is simply out of date or had a bug that didn't do anything while it was in development and is telling direct draw to do something it shouldn't.

VLC has the most plentiful selection of output module selections I'm aware of, see if you can get it to display an upside down picture. Has anyone noticed the Colour ASCII art module? I wish I could get that to play full screen.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    Check the Direct Draw documentation for anything that could flip an image in the current version, then compare it with the documentation for the old version. It's possible your program is simply out of date or had a bug that didn't do anything while it was in development and is telling direct draw to do something it shouldn't.

VLC has the most plentiful selection of output module selections I'm aware of, see if you can get it to display an upside down picture. Has anyone noticed the Colour ASCII art module? I wish I could get that to play full screen.

yes, it is highly probable that the problem is related to the use of directx and directdraw in particularry.

Maybe with directx 11 there are problem but win7/8 don't allow-me to downgrade directx11 to 9.0c

I'm looking to set the registry to assign the use of directx 9.0c by speedrazor.exe but at the moment I don't know how to do it
    Quote Quote  
  24. Some containers and windows graphics calls allow you specify a negative height to indicate the image should be displayed upside down. This is because the screen is upside down from a programmer's perspective.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Maybe with directx 11 there are problem but win7/8 don't allow-me to downgrade directx11 to 9.0c
    Maybe Adams & Eve Video editor does not keep the pace up with DX11 technologies. Downgrading directx11 to 9.0c would not be wise. Legacy OS would be better for Legacy softwares.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by enim View Post
    Maybe with directx 11 there are problem but win7/8 don't allow-me to downgrade directx11 to 9.0c
    Maybe Adams & Eve Video editor does not keep the pace up with DX11 technologies. Downgrading directx11 to 9.0c would not be wise. Legacy OS would be better for Legacy softwares.

should be all easy if I can set that speedrazor.exe have to use dirext 9.0c instead of 11

My nle does not merit to be cornered so easily
    Quote Quote  
  27. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Maybe I'm wrong, but it's probable that your NLE was designed to simply use "the latest" DirectX engine available on the operating system, regardless of the version number. So, when running under Windows Vista/Seven/H8, it will receive DirectX 10 or 11, because that's what the SlowRazor asked for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only a true masochist would go to such pains to make an old dinosaur fetch sticks. I'm impressed......
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    DirectDraw is a deprecated API that used to be a part of Microsoft's DirectX API.
    From what I've read, DirectDraw doesn't actually exist in Windows 8.1. If I try DirectDraw mode in VLC all I get is a pink screen, you should be glad your program works at all.
    Quote Quote  
  30. My nle does not merit to be cornered so easily
    Rather than downgrading DX, Have you considered/tried an option to downgrade OS XP/Win7/W8 to Windows98SE?
    May be you NLE can work like a charm.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!