VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all, First post,

Most of the time my PC does not recognize my camcorder. In Movie Studio Platinum 13.0 I select "Capture Video" "HDV" and it says device not available and I don't see it under Preferences. It did work one time.
    If I select "Capture Video" "DV" it works but I get a lot of dropped frames.
    I tried HDVspit and the first time I opened it it recognize my camcorder, but know it says camcorder not recognized or connected. I have tried two different Firewire cables with the same results.
    On my camcorder as soon as I plug it in my PC beeps at me and on the camcorder under "PLAY/OUT SETUP2" the "DV OUTPUT" blanks out.
    I'm sure I forgot some info.

Canon VIXIA HV30
    Dell Precision M6500, Window 7 Pro, SP1

Your help is greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi ,

@bmklawt : It is not easy to answer at the first level .

_ Uninstall completly your camcorder .
    _ run your computer in safe mode
    _ look if exist a '?' in properties in side "system"
    !!! maybe a PB with your 1394 card !!!

_ shut down your computer
    _ plug your camcorder ( running )
    _ run the PC

Normally , you'll be asked to install the new peripheral detected .

??? Is your software compatible for "Window 7 Pro" ???
    ( ex: 32bits vs 64 bits )

Try to use the camcorder with an other computer .

Regards .
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm moving you to our camcorder section.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's been a few years since I've used my hv20, but I remember you need to have the camera set to HDV mode for hdsplit to recognize it. The camera needs to be set for DV mode for windv to recognize it. Then plug in your camera.....
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it is like Racer-x says. You need to go into your camcorder's menu settings to properly switch output between DV and HDV modes. The camcorder will not do it automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Can anyone tell me how to set my camera to HDV, I've looked in the setup menu and the manual and don't see how to change it.
    Manual: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/4/0300000884/01/hv30nim-en.pdf

I appreciate the help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Page 77. Also page 40.

Also, make sure an HDV tape is actually playing when you connect it to the PC. Not necessary normally, but helps debugging this issue IME. BUT be careful hotplugging Firewire/IEEE1394 - getting the 6 pin connector the wrong way around will kill your device. Hotplug the 4 pin connector, or don't hotplug at all. Don't say I didn't warn you. I know I just told you to hit play and then hotplug, and I've also told you not to hotplug. That's because hotplugging always worked for me, but other people have reported it killing their camera's firewire port. It's up to you, and not my fault if it goes wrong.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the 4 pin end of the firewire cable has no power pins. it's data only and can't by any stretch of the imagination "kill" a cam's firewire port.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Last night I changed the settings on my camera to DV locked " DV only" and tried to capture with Movie Studio and get a ton of dropped framesso I changed it back to HDV/DV.
    I can not find a setting on my camera for HDV only, my selection seems to be DV or HDV/DV and as soon as I plug my firewire cable in that selection gets blanked out.
    Last night I did have the camera playing a tape and unplugged and plugged back in the firewire cable many times and to my surprise one time the camera was recognized and I successfully transferred a tape with Movie Studio, with HDVsplit I received a bunch of errors, don't remember exactly what the error said. When I tried to capture another tape it said it could not recognize the camera again.
    Yesterday when I was plugging the firewire cable in I got no beep from PC but can capture in DV in Movie Studio although with dropped frames, the one time I did this with the camera playing and it worked I got a beep from PC and Movie Studio did recognize camera.
    If the PC beeps or doesn't beep when I plug the firewire cable in I can always capture in DV in Movie Studio, if the PC beeps when I plug in the cable I can sometimes capture in HDV.
    How can I get this to capture in DV without dropped frames?
    Was that all clear as mud?

Thanks much
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by bmklawt View Post
    Was that all clear as mud?
    Pretty much. We still don't know whether you have DV or HDV on the tape -- or some of each. There's also the possibility of tape damage, or using extended recording speeds which is always dicey. And there's the sometimes flakey nature of firewire. You're going to have to eliminate some of these factors to find out what's wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you unplug the camera, does it still show up in the add-remove hardware list? If it does, delete the entry and plug the camera back in to see if it gets detected properly.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  12. If the tape has DV and/or HDV on shouldn't I be able to capture in DV?
    How do you determine if it's DV or HDV, the tapes I'm trying to capture were recorder on same camera.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hdv is 16x9 and looks HD. dv is usually 4:3 720x480 and looks low def. re-read your manual and set the cam to export HDV and try hdvsplit. if it doesn't work then set the cam to DV out and use windv to capture.

if they are your tapes you really should know if you shot HD or SD.

the cam can be set to force export dv even if it was shot in hdv. but it's a waste of HD video.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bmklawt View Post
    That's because your dell is a laughtop. I fully expect laughtops with their one hard drive to drop most, if not all frames they are made to capture. No matter what you do with your current h/w and s/w, you will drop frames galore. If you still insist on using that laughtop to capture HDV, you should
    • absolutely remove all bloatware from it (this includes the trashy programs that TSR and were installed the first time ever you powered on that laughtop)
    • close all programs that have nothing to do with capturing, while attempting to capture
    • disconnect from LAN and wi-fi completely; needless to say don't browse the web
    • get another eSATA-connected hard drive (not USB) and setup capture program to direct captured files to it
    The last item is the most important and tough if you are not willing to get with it. Nearly all laughtops, off the shelf, are toylike devices ultimately designed only for composing the odd document, browsing the web, puking it out on fezbuk, and playing candy crush. Asking them to capture HDV without major revisions is a very tall order, and nearly always unsuccessful otherwise.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    Originally Posted by bmklawt View Post
    That's because your dell is a laughtop. I fully expect laughtops with their one hard drive to drop most, if not all frames they are made to capture.
    1. It was possible to capture DV on much slower machines 15 years ago without dropping a single frame.
    2. Given the range of specs available under that model number, unless you have some further knowledge of the OP's machine that's not in this thread, you don't really know how good or bad it is.

The advice you gave is good though.

Given the OP has an HDV camcorder but doesn't know whether it's DV or HDV on tape, I think we're going to struggle with this one.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  16. It is HDV on tape, I was just trying to ask shouldn't I be able to capture in DV without dropped frames regardless of whether or not tape is recorder in DV or HDV.

I did get it to work in Movie Studio, still can't get it to work with HDVsplit.
    I have to unplug Firewire cable, start Movie Studio and select capture video "HDV". Captue window has to be opened and it says "Device not available" hit play on camcorder and then plug in firewire cable and then Device will show up in capture window. I can start, stop, rewind and even change tapes and all is good. I Hit "start capture" and it captures video, when I hit stop capture, file is saved and it again says "Device not found" and I have to repeat this process for next tape.
    Quote Quote  
  17. What happens if you try a different DV tape?
    Are you certain your project is set to the correct frame rate?
    Are you recording to your system drive?
    Do you have any other processes running -- internet, anti-virus?
    What is the speed of your processor?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Put the camcorder in DV locked mode.
    Try WinDV.

But really, you should capture HDV as HDV!

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!