VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all i shure hope someone here can help me here i have a silicon image 3114 i am running windows 7 pro sp1 and and may upgrade to server 2k8 anyway i have a sil image 3114 that wont detect drives over 500gb i have tried updateing the bios but i only get

c:\Users\user\Downloads\1>siflashtool /file:r5403.bin
    Silicon Image Flash BIOS programming tool version 1.0
    Selected Sil 3114 on PCI bus: 0x03 device: 0x00

c:\Users\user\Downloads\1>

when trying to update the bios

here is a snap shot of my controller and the options as you can see their is no option for updating from device manager

i dont have a floppy drive handy so the dos option isn't really a option
    and please if giving a link for the currect bios please upload the file to rapid share etc as silicon links just take you to the home page and not directly to the download

im just @ a loss @ this point and time

ps admins please remove my other post i forgot to add my screen shot and for some reason it wouldnt let me add it after
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	server silicon image 3114 controller option.JPG
Views:	5186
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	25415  

Quote Quote  
  2. Did a quick search and got these:

- According to the programming instructions the update is done through the control panel SIL controller app not the device manager (step #3), check that you have the correct driver version first.

- This guy says the Windows updater doesn't work (I think you have to open a Command Prompt and run as administrator for it to work), but you don't need a floppy drive to use the DOS update tool you can use a CD.

Is this an add-on card? Would be nice to have more details about the hardware, brand, model number...
    Last edited by nic2k4; 27th May 2014 at 22:25.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll assume you have been here: http://www.siliconimage.com/support/

And have seen this PDF: http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SII-TT-0003.pdf

And in the future, chrismitt2002, please do not double post. I've deleted the other posts. If you can't repair a post, PM a Mod.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes this is a pci addon card its a silicon 3114 i have looked in the control panel and found nothing for the sata card software were do i get this so called software what i have tried most if not all the tools from silicon image so if you know were to get it please provide a on click host link such as rapid share as links to silicon image just take u directly to the support page to select the device you are looking for
    also i got the 3114 used a few years back and would just like to update the bios so im not stuck on 500gb max drives as i have a 1.5 and a 1tb drive i would love to add possibly adding 2x2tb or 2x4tb wd red/greens but am unable to due to the bios that's on the card also how to i make a bootable dos disk
    Last edited by chrismitt2002; 28th May 2014 at 13:27.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Details on the hardware would help a lot, brand, model number... When you boot the PC do you get a message to hit F4, CTRL-F... to get into the card's setup utility? You should be able to get more details from the utility.

There are 3 types of SIL3114 cards, 2 RAID and 1 non-RAID, you might be able to change the card's firmware for any type, but it's probably safer to stick to the same type. You can get all of the drivers and firmwares and installation instructions from this site.

I don't know about the driver you're using, but all the drivers from that site will add an icon to the control panel. Have you tried switching the control panel view to large icons?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    all i know is it is a silicon image 3114 and it seems none of the drivers from that ftp are working
    here are 2 pics from the cards post

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140528_191327.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	25440

Name:	20140528_191243.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	25441
    Last edited by chrismitt2002; 29th May 2014 at 12:56.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay, I took the time to check the files and I can tell you that you won't find a Win 7 compatible driver on the net. I was surprised to find the 64 bit drivers were meant for XP/server 2003. Anyway that leaves 2 methods to upgrade the BIOS, do it in DOS or stick the card in an XP machine. The easiest would be the DOS way.

Follow these instructions to make a bootable USB drive, Download UPDFlash.exe and r5403.bin, then copy them to the USB drive. Check if you have a boot menu option when you boot your PC; there should be a message about hitting F8, F9, F12... If your PC doesn't have a boot menu you'll have to change the boot sequence in the BIOS. Either way do it with the USB drive plugged in, that will make it easier to identify the boot drive.

Boot to the USB drive and at the command prompt type
    Code:
    UPDFLASH R5403.BIN
    Whatever you do don't turn the power off or hit reset.

If for some reason the update files are not compatible with Win 7's DOS, get the FreeDOS boot disc, you'll have to set Explorer to show all files and simply copy the Freedos files over the existing ones.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I remember going through a head-^&%^$# with these cards years ago, but it's been so long I can't remember any of the details. I'm thinking though.... the ability to update the BIOS might be dependant on whether the card manufacturer has enabled the option, even though different cards use the same chipset. I have two XP PCs here, each with the card in question (different manufacturer, I think). One has the ability to update the BIOS via Device Manager, but the other has no BIOS tab.

Name:	1.gif
Views:	3711
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	25479

I do remember having some sort of problem with one of the cards..... I think after updating, it's BIOS no longer ran at bootup.... although the card continued to work..... I wish I could be more helpful other than to say.... be careful.... I kind of remember using the BIOS flash tool on a card which didn't support updating the BIOS via Device Manager causing that problem.

I don't think I've ever run the card as a RAID controller, or if I did I stopped because it wasn't very good (ie slow), so I can't help there either..... but the cards have run CD/DVD drives for years without an issue.

Now I wonder why the card in this PC isn't running the latest BIOS..... maybe trying to update the BIOS of a previous card made me too scared.....
    Last edited by hello_hello; 1st Jun 2014 at 12:21.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    as you stated i could update the bios in win xp and i do hav a older p4 with 1gb ram 40gb hd and win xp pro sp3 could u expain how to do it in xp as well
    Quote Quote  
  10. Just follow the instructions from the previous posts. According to the instructions the update option is supposed to be in the control panel sil3114 utility, but hello_hello's PC shows it in device manager! All the drivers on the FTP sites support XP and server 2003 at most (not even Vista!).

The card uses the OS supplied driver for all the newer versions of Windows and they don't have the firmware update feature. You don't even get the RAID management utility, maybe you can use the Java GUI... utility from the FTP site.

Anyway, from what I can see there are no official Win 7 drivers, even the silicon image support site makes no mention of it (they confuse things by talking about a WHQL 64 bit driver). This makes all the other sites that offer a Win 7 driver look suspicious.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when i type in updflash i get this what do i pick or does it really matter Click image for larger version

Name:	20140601_102524.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	25481
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I do remember having some sort of problem with one of the cards..... I think after updating, it's BIOS no longer ran at bootup.... although the card continued to work.....
    If you use firmware B5403.BIN it will change a RAID card into a base SATA card (non-RAID) which has no need for the drive setup utility (no more F4/CTRL-S).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Right now enter 15. Did you type UPDFLASH R5403.BIN at the command line or just UPDFLASH? The utility should have ID'ed the flash chip automatically!? You will have to remove the card, get a magnifying glass and see if you can find a chip on the card that matches one of those numbers.

P.S. Don't forget to unplug the power cord.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when i hit the pause button relly fast i also see this Click image for larger version

Name:	20140601_104515.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	25483
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140601_102524.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	25482  

Quote Quote  
  15. The first picture says it all, the flash chip on board is not part of the supported chip list i.e. you are SOL. Still, physically verify the chip number you will probably find one with a number close to one on the list, then get the datasheet for it and the closest matching one and verify whether it can be erased and if the flash protocols are the same. If they match you can force it to use that chip number. If not, well, you are getting into hacking territory. This will require some research, you might be able to reflash the chip with Uniflash or if it's socketed, with a chip burner.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i pulled my 3114 and took 3 pics of the 2 chips i could findClick image for larger version

Name:	20140601_205515.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	25488Click image for larger version

Name:	20140601_210939.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	25489Click image for larger version

Name:	20140601_210854.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	25490
    Quote Quote  
  17. The Holtek 27C010 is the chip that holds the firmware, the "27C" means it's a PROM. If it had a window it would be an EPROM and could be erased with a UV lamp, but it would still have to be reprogrammed with a chip burner.

The update program is looking for a chip with a "29F" (for EEPROM).

You have no choice, you have to remove the chip and replace it with one that has the new firmware 5403.bin burned to it. On the bright side that chip is easy to remove and resolder. You might have a hard time finding a blank or erasable 27C010 in PLCC format, but you could use a 29F010-70 from AMD (maybe others, I only checked the pinout for that one).
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so their really nothing can do with out replacing the chip is their?
    i thank you four all your input but since i don't own a soldering iron nor do i know how to solder i think im gona replace the card with this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131202932730?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l4455&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI131...S1.M734.R1.TR6
    as it seems it will support 2+tb drives and is hardware based raid
    Last edited by chrismitt2002; 2nd Jun 2014 at 12:16.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!