VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need some help figuring out how can I capture both the left and right feeds separately of a 3D video. The output will be from a Intuitive daVinci robotic surgery vision tower. Both the feeds are output separately. Is there any portable video capture device that can be use to record it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A LOT depends upon the kind of outputs being provided by those robot cams, but a good example of a compatible recorder might be http://www.convergent-design.com/products/nano3d.aspx.

Medical equipment manufacturers often are very close-lipped about their specs and I was not able to get access to any operational/hardware.documents.

Would be happy to assist.
    Please tell us more detailed information.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 26th May 2014 at 18:34.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the information. The output provided by the video tower of the robotic console are SDI and DVI for each left and right feed separately. I'm not sure about the resolution offered by it. Are there any other devices or capture cards that can be used to feed into a computer and then record?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, there's a number of options you could try, depending upon your budget, later usage needs, workflow, current equipment capabilities, etc.

There's:
    Sony HVO-3000MT Medical grade 3D HD video recorder (which was built with devices like yours in mind)
    Sony HDCam-SR VTRS (which can be modded/outfitted to record 2 HD streams)
    Convergent Designs (makers of the former nano3D) also make a Gemini 4:4:4 HD recorder with a 3D upgrade path, plus you might be able to gang 2 Odyssey 7s or 7Qs together for an equivalent experience
    BlackMagic Designs allows you to gang together 2 HyperDeck Studio Pro rackmount units to record (in genlock sync) 2 separate HD streams
    You might be able to do something similar with Atomos recorder products as well (though I haven't heard of a successfull demo of this yet)

or you could always use a Doremi or Teranex or similar converter box and then record a single stream in the usual manner.

You'd have to check with a "licensed daVinci equipment tech support rep" to get the lowdown on what those resolution specs are (both frame size and frame rate) as well as whether they are genlockable. This could determine which of those options above are best suited to you.

Of course, there is nothing stopping you from recording via SDI or DVI->HDMI to 2 separate (and UN-ganged) hyperdeck, intensity, ninja/samurai, or similar recorders and then marrying & syncing the separate clips into a 3D clip (e.g. Cineform 3D) after the fact. In fact, if those outputs are NOT necessarily well-synced to begin with, you might have LESS trouble going that route.

What does the "daVinci Sales rep" say about 3D recording options? Do they understand the current 3D market changes and options and are staying on top of them? If not, give me their number and I'll offer my services (for a price ).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!