VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have run into an audio snag that both my son and I are stumped by...Seems the VCR audio is more powerful than a pc. We finally got the "EZ Grabber 2.0" vhs transfer device to work on a pc with a far more powerful 3.0 ghz processor. Did some video and audio testing, watching 24 yr old home videos...Used 2-3 different transfer video capture programs and even manipulated the audio inputs...But apparently there is a mysterious static sound RANDOMLY incoming and over-coming the video capture program. The static is so loud is overcomes the present video's audio. Love for pc experts to see this problem. A VCR that over comes a computer.

We dont have a second or other vcr to evade this problem either. The vcr is only 10 yrs old, probably one the last ones made since dvd's took over.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would try another capture device. That one might have audio drivers issues.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another transfer device is not an option...And it shouldnt be the problem either. I need someone to look at this in person and see for themselves.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by convoy71 View Post
    Another transfer device is not an option...And it shouldnt be the problem either. I need someone to look at this in person and see for themselves.
    He means the EZ Grabber 2.0 hardware or its drivers may be the cause of your problem, and it could be, unless you also tried capturing using the the PC's audio line-in instead, and experienced the same problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What about if you connect a DVD player to the EZ Grabber 2?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you already stated that you need a quite powerful PC to remotely get this to work. And that itself should get the alarm bells ringing.

BTW a little more info may not go amiss. I guess you are not using the PC in your profile so what is it. Also what OS. And this 'EZ-grabber' make-model, purchase link.

And for the audio, some of these require you connect audio to a mic socket and not audio-in.

We are not mind-readers so these little scraps can assist.
    Quote Quote  
  7. A shot in the dark is possibly bad cables from the VCR to the EZ Grabber. Also, I'm wondering if somehow there is feedback going on from the audio input of the PC.

Definitely knowing your full set up and hook up would help.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Is it just me or does every one of these capture devices where you cannot connect the audio DIRECTLY to the capture device itself SUCK?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another transfer device is not an option...And it shouldnt be the problem either.
    Well, another transfer device should be an option, and could very well be the problem.

Unless you bought it from ezcap.tv, and the purchase links provided on that site - which you didn't - then it's a fake and will offer a boatload of problems. We get posts like yours here in abundance from people buying these bad products. I'm not surprised you took so long to get it working. And "working" is questionable.

At any rate, a good start is to try different audio sources, like what vaporeon800 suggested, and see if the VCR is the problem. Also, play with the VCR's tracking in case it's causing that static. Play with your audio settings (if they exist) and lower the volume in case it's clipping. Also try capturing through your sound card and see if that helps.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Upload a short sample with the problem. Are you using the audio inputs of the capture device or your motherboard/add-in sound card? If the latter you might just need to change inputs or change from mic to line level. Or you may have tracking problems with the tape.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    Another transfer device is not an option...And it shouldnt be the problem either.
    Well, another transfer device should be an option, and could very well be the problem.

Unless you bought it from ezcap.tv, and the purchase links provided on that site - which you didn't - then it's a fake and will offer a boatload of problems. We get posts like yours here in abundance from people buying these bad products. I'm not surprised you took so long to get it working. And "working" is questionable.

At any rate, a good start is to try different audio sources, like what vaporeon800 suggested, and see if the VCR is the problem. Also, play with the VCR's tracking in case it's causing that static. Play with your audio settings (if they exist) and lower the volume in case it's clipping. Also try capturing through your sound card and see if that helps.
    The OP has an EZ Grabber, not an EasyCap. Probably this: http://www.mygica.com/old/pa/ezgrabber.asp
    or this http://www.mygica.com/old/pa/ezgrabber2.asp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    The OP has an EZ Grabber, not an EasyCap. Probably this: http://www.mygica.com/old/pa/ezgrabber.asp
    Still fraud and fraud.

Ok, maybe a better clone.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still fraud and fraud.

I don't know why you'd say these devices are frauds/counterfeits. The maker has a functional website with rudimentary support (pages for driver and software downloads) which you don't ordinarily see for counterfeit Easy Cap devices. Whether the devices themselves are any good and the bundled software is properly licensed is another question entirely.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, for what I read on the linked page, this device, authentic or not, works for XP (as most analogue capture devices do) but coughs on any later OS.

Which is one reason why I suggested another device.

But Jeez, what does it take for an OP to come back to a topic and actually contribute something.

He seems to want a member to come to his place and solve this for him. I'm coming. I'm coming. Just pay my expenses
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well, for what I read on the linked page, this device, authentic or not, works for XP (as most analogue capture devices do) but coughs on any later OS.

Which is one reason why I suggested another device.

But Jeez, what does it take for an OP to come back to a topic and actually contribute something.

He seems to want a member to come to his place and solve this for him. I'm coming. I'm coming. Just pay my expenses
    I did another search found Geniatech has a support page with drivers for Windows 7. If the OP wants to try other drivers they are here http://www.geniatech.com/download.asp?id=1 Looking at the Amazon Listing for the EZ Grabber2 it appears Mygica is just a brand name under which they sell products in the US. http://www.amazon.com/Mygica-EZgrabber2-Capture-Adapter-Device/dp/B0036UUST4
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Win7 it seems (assuming that we have the right device) but what OS is the OP using ?

Of course, Amazon are not directly selling this.

Call me biggotted but 21 bucks ( I did a quick conversion) is simply too cheap for a quality product.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Ok. Win7 it seems (assuming that we have the right device) but what OS is the OP using ?

Of course, Amazon are not directly selling this.

Call me biggotted but 21 bucks ( I did a quick conversion) is simply too cheap for a quality product.
    Yes, the OP needs to get back to us on the details of his capture setup. Perhaps he will reply tomorrow. Today is a holiday in the US, so he may be celebrating it.

I never claimed the EZ Grabber was any good, just that it isn't technically a counterfeit of the ezcap.tv device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Still fraud and fraud.

I don't know why you'd say these devices are frauds/counterfeits. The maker has a functional website with rudimentary support (pages for driver and software downloads) which you don't ordinarily see for counterfeit Easy Cap devices. Whether the devices themselves are any good and the bundled software is properly licensed is another question entirely.
    I never claimed the EZ Grabber was any good, just that it isn't technically a counterfeit of the ezcap.tv device.
    Well the fact that it has the letters "EZ" in its name, which belong to the REAL one, has all the glorious stink of a counterfeit to me.

Or maybe some astronomically improbable coincidence...

And there's another reason. Hint. Hint. But I may have problems with the Mods if I mention it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Still fraud and fraud.

Well the fact that it has the letters "EZ" in its name, which belong to the REAL one, has all the glorious stink of a counterfeit to me.

Or maybe some astronomically improbable coincidence...

And there's another reason. Hint. Hint. But I may have problems with the Mods if I mention it.
    I guess Diamond is trading on the ezcap.tv name too. Care to guess the name of the bundled capture software Diamond used for their VC500 capture device? See http://www.diamondmm.com/vc500-quick-installation-guide.html ...or maybe using "EZ" in a product name is not all that unusual.

The EZ Grabber hardware from Geniatech appears to be more similar to the Diamond VC500CXT than anything sold by ezcap.tv. However, since Diamond usually re-sells hardware made by some other company under the Diamond name, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Diamond buys their hardware from Geniatech to be able to offer an inexpensive USB capture device to their customers, or both Diamond and Geniatech buy their hardware from the same source.

[Edit]I found some indication at a Linux hardware website that the Diamond VC500CXT and the EZGrabber2 are the same hardware.
    http://www.linux-hardware-guide.com/2014-02-08-diamond-vc500-one-touch-video-usb-2-0-video-grabber
    http://www.linux-hardware-guide.com/2013-10-03-august-vgb100-usb-2-0-audio-and-video-grabber
    http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/OTG102
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th May 2014 at 02:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I'm familiar with Diamond, and am familiar with them putting their name on ATI-ware, including USB devices, like the 600, 650 and 750.

But, AFAIK, the VC500 was never made by ATI, so it makes me suspicious about the complicated, and likely very-hard-to-find, history of its origins...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I'm familiar with Diamond, and am familiar with them putting their name on ATI-ware, including USB devices, like the 600, 650 and 750.

But, AFAIK, the VC500 was never made by ATI, so it makes me suspicious about the complicated, and likely very-hard-to-find, history of its origins...
    Other than graphics cards and the two TV Wonder HD 750 devices, nothing Diamond sells these days has any connection to AMD and it has been that way for a few years. Diamond buys hardware from various Chinese sources, bundles it with their choice of software, creates a name for the bundles and sells them as Diamond products. Startech.com (among others) does the same thing with its capture products.

Bundling products made by someone else and re-branding is a long-established practice in the electronics industry, so I don't know what you find particularly suspicious about this.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th May 2014 at 10:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've bought 20+ capture devices over the years, and there's some that I just won't buy. The VC500 fits in that category.

Other than graphics cards and the two TV Wonder HD 750 devices, nothing Diamond sells these days has any connection to AMD and it has been that way for a few years.
    Diamond sold 3 ATI/AMD USB capture devices with their name: the 600, 650 and the 750. At least in these cases, whether the product was any good or not, you knew what you were getting, and knew the source of origin didn't leave one wondering about any lack of disclosure.

The VC500 is not the case.

Diamond buys hardware from various Chinese sources, bundles it with their choice of software, creates a name for the bundles and sells them as Diamond products...Bundling products made by someone else and re-branding is a long-established practice in the electronics industry, so I don't know what you find particularly suspicious about this.
    In capture devices, that also describes pretty much all the ezcap.tv fakes, and other bad, untested, products flooding the market bundled with components that are cheap, or are packaged efforts to pass off as something else, etc. I don't see the VC500 as anything different.

Yes, re-branding is not new in the industry. I do prefer to deal with a company manufacturing its own wares, but wouldn't mind something re-branded if there's some certification of quality provided and/or more info of source.

The VC500 provides neither, and its distribution/marketing channels seem very dubious to me.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've bought 20+ capture devices over the years, and there's some that I just won't buy. The VC500 fits in that category.

Other than graphics cards and the two TV Wonder HD 750 devices, nothing Diamond sells these days has any connection to AMD and it has been that way for a few years.
    Diamond sold 3 ATI/AMD USB capture devices with their name: the 600, 650 and the 750. At least in these cases, whether the product was any good or not, you knew what you were getting, and knew the source of origin didn't leave one wondering about any lack of disclosure.

The VC500 is not the case.

Diamond buys hardware from various Chinese sources, bundles it with their choice of software, creates a name for the bundles and sells them as Diamond products...Bundling products made by someone else and re-branding is a long-established practice in the electronics industry, so I don't know what you find particularly suspicious about this.
    In capture devices, that also describes pretty much all the ezcap.tv fakes, and other bad, untested, products flooding the market bundled with components that are cheap, or are packaged efforts to pass off as something else, etc. I don't see the VC500 as anything different.

Yes, re-branding is not new in the industry. I do prefer to deal with a company manufacturing its own wares, but wouldn't mind something re-branded if there's some certification of quality provided and/or more info of source.

The VC500 provides neither, and its distribution/marketing channels seem very dubious to me.
    That's hilarious. What makes you think that ezcap.tv makes their own hardware? I have seen too many other products that use the same enclosure to think that is likely.

The practice isn't restricted to cheap devices. The rather costly Micomsoft SC-500N1 card is the same hardware as the StarTech PEXHDCAP. Micomsoft and Startech bundle their own choice of software, but the hardware is actually made by a Chinese company. Neither company discloses the source of their cards, but I read about it here http://www.videogameperfection.com/av-gear/startech-pexhdcap-hdmirgbvgacomponent-captu...e-card-review/ There used to be a link to the real maker there at one point, but it has been removed. However I did visit the actual maker's site at one point and saw the same card there.

The real difference between legitimate companies (like Startech, Diamond, ezcapt.tv, and Geniatech/Mygica) and the scam artists who sell the various EasyCap fakes is that the legitimate companies attempt to provide at least marginal support for their products, possibly a warranty, and the hardware used is consistent. Sometimes the software is custom-written, or a licensed commercial product, although with some of the cheaper products, I'm guessing that sometimes it is not either of those things.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th May 2014 at 13:01. Reason: left out a word
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, when a company provides support, it's a testament to the backing of their products, so it's hard to argue with that.

I'm still thrown off by the fact that both Geniatech/Mygica and Diamond use the term "EZ" in their wares - the question is: do they - both - have license to do so? EZCap went to great lengths in their efforts to differentiate themselves from the frauds, and the "EZ" was one of them.

At any rate, I still wouldn't purchase a VC500 (or variant). It's not known to be a good product, and I believe it's a declining step for Diamond since they got their big break from selling AMD/ATI-ware.

Having said that, I do get a good sense of the StarTech models, which in many ways remind me of EZCap (as well as Hauppauge). Just purchased one now in fact from this discussion (and others) - awaiting its delivery and will be doing some tests and reporting back to this, or a nearby, thread, soon on my results.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, when a company provides support, it's a testament to the backing of their products, so it's hard to argue with that.

I'm still thrown off by the fact that both Geniatech/Mygica and Diamond use the term "EZ" in their wares - the question is: do they - both - have license to do so? EZCap went to great lengths in their efforts to differentiate themselves from the frauds, and the "EZ" was one of them.

At any rate, I still wouldn't purchase a VC500 (or variant). It's not known to be a good product, and I believe it's a declining step for Diamond since they got their big break from selling AMD/ATI-ware.

Having said that, I do get a good sense of the StarTech models, which in many ways remind me of EZCap (as well as Hauppauge). Just purchased one now in fact from this discussion (and others) - awaiting its delivery and will be doing some tests and reporting back to this, or a nearby, thread, soon on my results.
    "Mygica/Geniatech EZ Grabber2" doesn't seem all that similar to "EZCap" to me. I wouldn't read too much into something using "EZ" in the name, if the rest is different. "EZ" is just too common in product names as a substitute for "Easy".
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!