VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I live in the UK and use one of these (PAL version). I bought another which was going cheap on ebay as a spare. I was disappointed to see the box marked up as "NTSC". I tested the card nonetheless. It seems to happily accept a PAL VCR signal and show the movie on my PC screen. Am I missing something? I was expecting an NTSC card not to work (for TV in) except with an NTSC signal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    These cards have an analogue tv tuner. So a NTSC card would not have worked to record UK tv when it was analogue.

But the card will still work for capture over composite or s-video(if it has such a connector) as that does not use the tuner.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suppose I have forgotten, if I ever knew, what the nature of the UK TV broadcast signal was and how this differes from the outputs of a UK VCR. The 9800 accepts the analogue signal (either SVHS or Combi) from my VCR. The VCR used to connect to the TV (and still can if I wish to use it) through SCART, SVHS or a coax aerial connector. Many of us would have assumed that it's the same thing going down the cable, which ever cable it is. Of course, it's not! Silly me. I should have thought it through. Thanks for the clue.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!