VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My PC has XP and Vista dual boot(one hard drive only). Working just fine before. Then I used a partition manager to shrink XP partition with
    the intent of enlarging the Vista partition by merging it with the unallocated space being created by the shrinking. I used Windows XP CD setup to create the partition for the unallocated space so it can be formatted. That's when the NTLDR was damaged, I think. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    { deleted }
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 24th May 2014 at 18:53.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How to Fix NTLDR Errors: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/ntldrmissingxp.htm

I'd try the most obvious first, check your BIOS. Make sure your boot drive is listed first as boot.

If that fails, then you would likely have to repair or re-install the NTLDR. (NT Loader)
    Since you have dual boot, you may have also damaged your boot .ini.
    There are links on that page for repairing that also.

Or worst case, a complete re-install of both OSs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Issue like these have appeared in many forums ... the fault is using xp's tools to create and format the vista partition, a compatibility issue.

used a partition manager
    Which ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Issue like these have appeared in many forums ... the fault is using xp's tools to create and format the vista partition, a compatibility issue.
    IIRC, Vista (and Seven too, probably) DOES "upgrade" the NTFS version when reading an XP volume, and I suppose that the obvious design flaw was intentional.

If the OP uses XP "occasionally", he can copy a *floppy-boot image* on a CD-R.
    Only three files are required: NTLDR, ntdetect.com, boot.ini.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!