VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I am wondering what I would need to allow my PC to connect wirelessly to my television, and hope that someone can help.
    My PC is a few years old, with 2.5gig pentium dual-core processor and 2G ram. I do not know details of sound and video capabilities of the PC.
    My TV has HDMI ports.
    I'd like to be able to view such things as PC accessed TV, Netflix, etc. on my TV.
    Is what I'd like to do possible, and if so, what sorts of things would be necessary to accomplish this?
    Note that I've heard of "needing something like "Wii" or bluetooth" to enable such a connection: would the Google Chrome device also be suitable as part of such a setup on the TV end?
    Thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A Chromecast device or a Roku 3 can access your home's wireless Internet connection and run apps that let you watch various online services like Netflix or Hulu Plus, and there is now a Plex App that allows these devices to access video on a Windows PC running Plex Media Server.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200006953-Plex-Apps

I don't use Plex or have have a Chromecast or a Roku 3 but others here likely do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Plex is no longer free, which has seriously pissed off a lot of people because it used to be free. It's not exactly perfect. IF it can stream your file, it works fine, but there are some files it refuses to stream and nobody knows why. Not much you can do about that, which is why it sucks to pay for Flex. Well, it seems that parts of it are free, but the current version won't let you stream to Roku without paying money.

Western Digital sells streaming devices that are a lot less fussy than Plex. Roku is beter than Western Digital if you have a lot of internet video stuff you want to watch. Western Digital is better if you mostly want to watch videos you already have on a PC and occasionally stream from Netflix, Amazon, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you have or can get a ps3 it will do what you want,i use my pc to stream to my 46" sony hdtv through my ps3.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One thing about media players in general, if you are an Amazon Instant Video user, you need to confirm support. From what I understand, the Roku 3 and PS3/PS4 have good support for Amazon Instant Video, but Western Digital has no support and Chromecast has limited support, via a browser plugin on a PC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ps3 means playstation 3 ?? That sounds like something good, but does it need a "Sony" TV, or will any TV (with an HDMI port) work with it?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Any tv with hdmi will work with it.Programs to use for streaming i find best are ums or ps3 media server,both free.
    Quote Quote  
  8. lots of used units available online. Does the storage capacity matter? I'll only be using it to stream------no games!
    And would you know if the "programs" you mentioned are compatible with WinXP?
    Last edited by atlantis43; 23rd May 2014 at 23:17. Reason: addition
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    A Chromecast device or a Roku 3 can access your home's wireless Internet connection and run apps that let you watch various online services like Netflix or Hulu Plus, and there is now a Plex App that allows these devices to access video on a Windows PC running Plex Media Server.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200006953-Plex-Apps

I don't use Plex or have have a Chromecast or a Roku 3 but others here likely do.
    I googled chromecast, and found that it won't work decently with WinXP, so I'll have to go with one of the other suggestions in this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you're not going to play games a PS3 is a poor media player. Get a Western Digital WDTV Live. They play a much wider array of containers and codecs. You can just set up a network share on XP and access all your files via that. No additional software needed. Of you have all your files on an external USB drive you can plug it directly into the WDTV -- NTFS and FAT file systems are supported.

It does lack Amazon Prime though. You would have to use a DLNA server like PlayOn to get that.
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd May 2014 at 23:36.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you're not going to play games a PS3 is a poor media player. Get a Western Digital WDTV Live. They play a much wider array of containers and codecs. You can just set up a network share on XP and access all your files via that. No additional software needed. Of you have all your files on an external USB drive you can plug it directly into the WDTV -- NTFS and FAT file systems are supported.

It does lack Amazon Prime though. You would have to use a DLNA server like PlayOn to get that.
    I'm mainly interested in live streaming, not playing stored files. (I'm ignorant of what's on Amazon Prime, so you might have already answered this)
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ps3 maybe a poor media player but it's great for streaming.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i was watching this thread in hopes to learn something new since i want to do the same thing, but with my capture card, so that i could stream what is currently showing on my desktop tv in a window to my ipod or netbook in the other room. but to my understanding, this was not quite answered. the last time i played with this was through vlc. but it required patience and skill and only worked half of the times. it was more frustrating to setup and get working, so i gave up on it. i was hoping something new came out that makes this possible and easier. all i want to do basically, is plug the directv-output of the video card to my pc to some device that will stream it to some webpage that i can open on my netbook or some app on my ipod. but all this still sounds too savy for me. but i will keep watching. thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by atlantis43 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you're not going to play games a PS3 is a poor media player. Get a Western Digital WDTV Live. They play a much wider array of containers and codecs. You can just set up a network share on XP and access all your files via that. No additional software needed. Of you have all your files on an external USB drive you can plug it directly into the WDTV -- NTFS and FAT file systems are supported.

I'm mainly interested in live streaming, not playing stored files. (I'm ignorant of what's on Amazon Prime, so you might have already answered this)
    As you may know, Amazon Instant Video has a large selection of movies and TV shows available via streaming. Amazon Prime is the $99/year subscription that gives you unlimited video streaming (Prime Instant Video), free shipping on your Amazon purchases with no minimum order required, and a few other perks.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    i was watching this thread in hopes to learn something new since i want to do the same thing, but with my capture card, so that i could stream what is currently showing on my desktop tv in a window to my ipod or netbook in the other room. but to my understanding, this was not quite answered. the last time i played with this was through vlc. but it required patience and skill and only worked half of the times. it was more frustrating to setup and get working, so i gave up on it. i was hoping something new came out that makes this possible and easier. all i want to do basically, is plug the directv-output of the video card to my pc to some device that will stream it to some webpage that i can open on my netbook or some app on my ipod. but all this still sounds too savy for me. but i will keep watching. thanks.
    This is a different problem than the one the OP is trying to solve. Just start your own thread if you want help. After 13 years here you should know that hijacking an existing thread is not the best way to get a question answered.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

As you may know, Amazon Instant Video has a large selection of movies and TV shows available via streaming. Amazon Prime is the $99/year subscription that gives you unlimited video streaming (Prime Instant Video), free shipping on your Amazon purchases with no minimum order required, and a few other perks.
    Yes, I'm aware of such things. I have no trouble viewing them on my pc monitor, but I'm trying to "stream" them to be viewed on HDTV. Looks as if my PC is too outdated to do that properly!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    plug the directv-output of the video card to my pc to some device that will stream it to some webpage that i can open on my netbook or some app on my ipod. but all this still sounds too savy for me. but i will keep watching. thanks.
    What do you mean by "directv-output"? You mean you just want to take the VGA/DVI/HDMI output of your computer and send it to another device? Something like Remote Desktop or GoToMyPC?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by atlantis43 View Post
    I have no trouble viewing them on my pc monitor, but I'm trying to "stream" them to be viewed on HDTV. Looks as if my PC is too outdated to do that properly!
    What do you mean by stream? You can just hook your computer directly to a TV via DVI/HDMI/VGA. Your TV just acts as a big monitor when you do that. If you don't have matching connections on both devices you can get a converter. Like a DVI to HDMI cable. Or a VGA to HDMI converter.
    Quote Quote  
  19. The Plex *channel* on Roku is now subscription, true. However, the Plex Media Server (which you install on your PC) is free.

When the Plex channel became subscription, I uninstalled it, and installed RARflix, which is a modified *free* Plex channel, and nearly identical.

http://www.rarflix.com/

So all you'd have to pay for would be a Roku, and refurbished Roku2 XS units go for around $50 bucks. We have three and use them often for streaming.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    The Plex *channel* on Roku is now subscription, true. However, the Plex Media Server (which you install on your PC) is free.

When the Plex channel became subscription, I uninstalled it, and installed RARflix, which is a modified *free* Plex channel, and nearly identical.

So all you'd have to pay for would be a Roku, and refurbished Roku2 XS units go for around $50 bucks. We have three and use them often for streaming.
    I'm confused. My local store tells me that the only way I can use Roku with my WinXP OS is if I put content on a flash drive, and then plug the flash into Roku. I don't have HDMI output on my PC.
    Is this incorrect?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    The Plex *channel* on Roku is now subscription, true. However, the Plex Media Server (which you install on your PC) is free.

I'm confused. My local store tells me that the only way I can use Roku with my WinXP OS is if I put content on a flash drive, and then plug the flash into Roku. I don't have HDMI output on my PC.
    Is this incorrect?
    You have another thread with questions about your PC, in which you indicate that you nave no home network set up. The lack of a home network is much more of a problem than is Windows XP.

jagabo told you what to do to connect the PC directly to your TV. Assuming the PC has only a VGA connection, you need a VGA to HDMI converter. This is one example: http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-Scaler-Converter-Adapter-Laptop/dp/B008COJXHC/ Note that this will not allow you to play videos that require HDCP copy protection since VGA does not support HDCP.

If your PC has a DVI port you may get away with using a DVI to HDMI cable. http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B001TH7T2U/ref=sr_1_1?...qid=1400949890, assuming you can send sound out that way. Otherwise you need an DVI + headphone audio to HDMI converter. http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108124-Stereo-Audio-Converter/dp/B009GUNEAI, a headphone to stereo adapter http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Feet-3-5mm-Stereo-Cable/dp/B000V0G2C4 and an HDMI cable.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th May 2014 at 13:22.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

Is this incorrect?
    You have another thread with questions about your PC, in which you indicate that you nave no home network set up. The lack of a home network is much more of a problem than is Windows XP.

jagabo told you what to do to connect the PC directly to your TV. Assuming the PC has only a VGA connection, you need a VGA to HDMI converter. This is one example: http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-Scaler-Converter-Adapter-Laptop/dp/B008COJXHC/ Note that this will not allow you to play videos that require HDCP copy protection since VGA does not support HDCP.

If your PC has a DVI port you may get away with using a DVI to HDMI cable. http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B001TH7T2U/ref=sr_1_1?...qid=1400949890, assuming you can send sound out that way. Otherwise you need an DVI + headphone audio to HDMI converter. http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108124-Stereo-Audio-Converter/dp/B009GUNEAI, a headphone to stereo adapter http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Feet-3-5mm-Stereo-Cable/dp/B000V0G2C4 and an HDMI cable.
    (Somehow, it started as one thread, but got split up). As I just mentioned in your other reply, I have neither DVI or HDMI ports on my pc, so video quality would probably be terrible. But anyway, I couldn't stand ~50 ft of cable from pc to tv! Must go wireless!
    Thanks for all the help
    Quote Quote  
  23. You might try a USB wireless PC to TV device like:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GTN0T4/
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might try a USB wireless PC to TV device like:
    Reading the description and user reviews, I would not recommend it. According to the product description, those things will only work if the PC and the TV are within 30 feet of each other and have an unobstructed line of sight. If you can beleive the user reviews, even then they may stop working if someone walks between the TV and the transmitter.
    Quote Quote  
  25. yep----would be just what I need if only for the "line of sight" problem. Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You might try a USB wireless PC to TV device like:
    Reading the description and user reviews, I would not recommend it. According to the product description, those things will only work if the PC and the TV are within 30 feet of each other and have an unobstructed line of sight.
    yep----would be just what I need if only for the "line of sight" problem. Thanks again
    Yes but there are others that don't require line of site and have longer ranges. Don't you guys have any imagination?

Another issue might be frame rate. You can probably work around that by using a smaller frame size. For example, 1280x720 rather than 1920x1080. Online streams usually aren't that sharp anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Thanks for the info about frame rate.
    Regarding "others out there that don't require line-of-sight", I think of my supposedly high quality, long-range Sennheiser wireless headphones, which are thoroughly unreliable through plaster walls between rooms @ 50 ft.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by atlantis43 View Post
    Regarding "others out there that don't require line-of-sight", I think of my supposedly high quality, long-range Sennheiser wireless headphones, which are thoroughly unreliable through plaster walls between rooms @ 50 ft.
    Then other wireless solutions are likely to have problems too. You may have to resort to wired solutions. Or partially wired solutions. Moving a small dongle a few feet away from the computer or TV using a 6 foot cable may be enough.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    If you have or can get a ps3 it will do what you want,i use my pc to stream to my 46" sony hdtv through my ps3.
    John:
    Would you happen to know what the minimum specs that I should look for in any PC or laptop-type device to enable good streaming using a PS3. I'm looking for something that will only be used for streaming things off the internet: no other demanding computer capabilities. Maybe one of those ChromeBooks?
    (Finally got Chromecast to work, but the viewing choices are far too limited)
    Richard
    Quote Quote  
  30. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Basically any dual core will be good enough with a fast ethernet router for the ps3.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!