VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello friends,

My job requires me to create 15- 20 minutes long videos made of separate scenes from a specific movie. Think of them as very long trailers. The process is pretty simple: I download a movie (Big Fish, for instance), I import the video file to Premiere, I grab the pieces I need from the source file and I put them in the sequence timeline. Just imagine me dragging five separated scenes from the movie and creating a 20 minutes film. No problem with this.

The problem appears the moment I want to start adding subtitles to these "long trailers". Adding subtitles to a full movie you want to watch is piece of cake: you download a ".srt" file and you drag it to the VLC window where you're playing the movie. If the dude who created the subtitles did his job right, you'll be able to watch the film with perfect-synced subtitles.

But I want to sync these downloaded subtitles to my home-made trailers, creating a new ".srt" file with subtitles adapted to this video. I'm able to open the ".srt" file and tamper with the timecode of each subtitle line, but that takes me a TREMENDOUS ammount of time, as 20 minutes of a movie contains 200-300 subtitle lines and I have to re-write the frame in which the subtitle line starts and the frame in which the subtitle line ends manually.

My question: is there a program that allow me to do this quicker? Someone related me to this program called Subtitle Edit, but I don't know how nor if the program is able to do this task for me.

Thanks in advance amigos.
    Quote Quote  
  2. this program called Subtitle Edit, but I don't know how nor if the program is able to do this task for me.
    lol,, yeah,, Subtitle Edit is up to the task,,
    it's not gonna magically appear,, you're gonna hafta interact with it

-- it's gonna take some input on your behalf

first,, depending on your source file,, you might have the subtitle all ready included when and after you edit

a fast way to check this is to use MediaInfo

second,, if nothing else,, you could, with the use of Subtitle Edit,, create from scratch,, that's how good it is
    Quote Quote  
  3. I use Subtitle Edit a lot and it certainly can do it.

Another option: If you have your movie and a .srt subtitle (which may be synchronized in Subtitle Edit) you could start by muxing them into a MKV container by using MKVMergeGUI and then use AVI-Mux GUI to cut out your scenes. It'll cut Audio/Video/Subs in sync. Actually you could then just append the scenes in MKVMergeGUI if you can use a MKV as your final output.
    Last edited by videobruger; 24th May 2014 at 10:10. Reason: Link missing
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    By downloading a movie I hope you mean buying it...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Oh but of course. I also mean, in some cases, downloading a movie that I already own, which is also perfectly legal.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Doctor Doodles View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Oh but of course. I also mean, in some cases, downloading a movie that I already own, which is also perfectly legal.
    Since you already own original, purchased copies of the movies, then you would just need to use DVDShrink in the Reauthor mode to isolate the clips. As I recall, the subtitles stay in time with the clips, and you won't need to jump through so many hoops.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post

Since you already own original, purchased copies of the movies, then you would just need to use DVDShrink in the Reauthor mode to isolate the clips. As I recall, the subtitles stay in time with the clips, and you won't need to jump through so many hoops.
    Yep, but in the output file I'd like to offer the subtitles apart and make them optional.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough in the first place (english is not my mother language and I pretty much suck at it sometimes), but what I need to do is to get a video file with its subtitle file, edit BOTH to make a 20 minutes short video and produce another video file and the subtitle file. The subtitles need to be optional.

I know it's a very weird task this one, but I'm working on a doctorate project that requires me to present 70 "long trailers" to a jury composed of people from different nationalities, so they should be able to switch the subtitles on and of during the final exposition.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Atticus Draco View Post
    this program called Subtitle Edit, but I don't know how nor if the program is able to do this task for me.
    lol,, yeah,, Subtitle Edit is up to the task,,
    it's not gonna magically appear,, you're gonna hafta interact with it

-- it's gonna take some input on your behalf

first,, depending on your source file,, you might have the subtitle all ready included when and after you edit

a fast way to check this is to use MediaInfo

second,, if nothing else,, you could, with the use of Subtitle Edit,, create from scratch,, that's how good it is
    Thanks for the info. What worries me is the amount of input is going to take for myself. I'll investigate this method of yours.

Kudos.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    I use Subtitle Edit a lot and it certainly can do it.

Another option: If you have your movie and a .srt subtitle (which may be synchronized in Subtitle Edit) you could start by muxing them into a MKV container by using MKVMergeGUI and then use AVI-Mux_GUI to cut out your scenes. It'll cut Audio/Video/Subs in sync. Actually you could then just append the scenes in MKVMergeGUI if you can use a MKV as your final output.
    As I explain above, I need the subs to be optional in the final output video file, so a MKV subtitled video file is useless to me.

Maybe I can create two separate files with your method, a video file and a subtitle file?

Kudos.
    Quote Quote  
  10. As I explain above, I need the subs to be optional in the final output video file
    They would be softcoded in a MKV, ie optional.

Maybe I can create two separate files with your method, a video file and a subtitle file
    You can extract .SRT subtitles from a MKV using MKVExtractGUI2 / MKVCleaver. An I just pointed to another option. You could create a SRT subtitle that fits your video with clips in Subtitle Edit just fine.

If the dude who created the subtitles did his job right, you'll be able to watch the film with perfect-synced subtitles.
    No. You can easily have two SRT subtitles one from a DVD source and another from a BD source that is neither identical nor in sync with each other.

requires me to present 70 "long trailers" to a jury
    How? Software/Hardware.
    Last edited by videobruger; 24th May 2014 at 10:05. Reason: Addendum
    Quote Quote  
  11. How to do it with Subtitle Edit:

1) Create your video in Premiere.

2) Drag-drop your SRT onto SE.

3) Video -> Open Video File

4) Mark and delete subtitles leading up to your first clip. Tools -> Renumber.

5) Mark subtitles corresponding to the first clip. Rigth click -> Visual sync selected lines. And so on.

6) End by Tools -> Renumber. Select Encoding and save.
    Last edited by videobruger; 24th May 2014 at 12:26.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post

Yep, but in the output file I'd like to offer the subtitles apart and make them optional.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough in the first place (english is not my mother language and I pretty much suck at it sometimes), but what I need to do is to get a video file with its subtitle file, edit BOTH to make a 20 minutes short video and produce another video file and the subtitle file. The subtitles need to be optional.

I know it's a very weird task this one, but I'm working on a doctorate project that requires me to present 70 "long trailers" to a jury composed of people from different nationalities, so they should be able to switch the subtitles on and of during the final exposition.
    The DVDShrink reauthor method keeps subtitles as soft subs, which can be switched on or off using your media player remote. The subs are not burned into the movie.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!