VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm planning to convert videos in various formats to AVCHD, so I'm curious about the different formats for doing so. Here they are:-

1) To get the best quality at the smallest file size is it worth converting to X264 first?

2) Does X265 work better (I know it's supposedly better, but am wondering if there's limited playback difficulties)?

3) I've read that NeroVision is easier to use than Handbrake, but I'm wondering if there's anything Handbrake does when converting that NeroVision doesn't?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    Which encoder uses Nero
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you should explain your reason for wanting to do this. Converting low resolution formats like VCD/SVCD makes no sense. I'd argue that converting DVDs probably makes no sense either.

AVCHD does not allow any other video codec except H.264 (X.264 is a free implementation of it). AVCHD does not currently allow the use of X.265.

Somebody who actually uses NeroVision or Handbrake will need to answer your last question.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=magnu;23231791) To get the best quality at the smallest file size is it worth converting to X264 first?[/QUOTE]

According to this ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

... h.264 is the native format of AVCHD. Even if it wasn't, encoding to h.264 and then re encoding to something else is the last thing you'd want to do.

2) Does X265 work better (I know it's supposedly better, but am wondering if there's limited playback difficulties)?
    There certainly isn't the support in devices etc. It has more features and settings than h.264 which makes encoding even harder. It's only better if you know how to use it.

3) I've read that NeroVision is easier to use than Handbrake, but I'm wondering if there's anything Handbrake does when converting that NeroVision doesn't?
    Everything nero makes sucks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have a large collection of TV shows which I want to transfer to discs. Some episodes are already MKVs & others are on DVD. I wish to put these episodes on to Blu-Rays in AVCHD format, with hopefully a season or two per disc. I don't want to leave them on HDD, nor do I wish to keep the ones I have on DVD, as they take up a lot of space, & I don't want to keep swapping discs every time I want to view another episode.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use handbrake to encode dvds to mkv and author with multiavchd,you save even more disc space without authoring and burning the mkvs,most blu-ray players made to day will plays mkv burned on discs.For my backups i get about 22 episodes per disc on blu-ray.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are interested NeroVision in terms of opportunities to create a menu for the episodes on the BD disc - Going to the extent necessary to replenish the video library on the BD?
    Of course, will still have to select the optimum bitrate for encoding a heap of different files.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!