VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I've a question for those of you who do video editing as a business: what is your most popular delivery format? Is it Blu-ray, DVD, uploads to a video site such as YouTube or Vimeo, or some other delivery format?

I have never been requested to deliver anything other than a DVD. I know that eventually clients will be asking for other formats, but at this particular point in time they have not. I will, in the near future, start offering Blu-ray and mp4 as options. As far as blu-ray goes, the increased cost may put off some clients.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most every one of my buyers still request delivery on DVD.

Perhaps this topic should be a poll.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most want DVD. Occasionally blu-ray. I've uploaded a lot to YouTube, but those are free.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In decending order of frequency:

DVD
    Youtube
    Blu-ray
    everything else combined

But my titles usually have extra stuff (menus, chapters, multiple streams & angles, subs) that simply aren't easily available with plain one-title downloads.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cornucopia, how long, on the average, does it take you to get from raw footage to finished product? Do you have a demo reel posted online? I would love to see some of your work.

And thanks everyone for the responses.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I hadn't ever previously posted my DR online, but was updating it to get it ready to post when I got this last gig (2 weeks ago). Includes 64+ hours of footage, which I'm having to cut down to 2x ~4hour titles stored on DL discs (both BD & DVD), so the DR is on the back-burner again. Once I've finished with this project (hopefully in ~3 weeks), I can get back to the DR and then incorporate some of this new footage, which I'm very excited about. I'll post it and let you know. Sorry, can't give a time-frame for that.

Average time? Completely depends on the length of the title, but I'd say, for commercials, trailers, other really short stuff: a day or couple of days; for shorts & music videos, a week; for corp/educational/instructional stuff, 2 weeks; for episodic stuff, a month, for features, ~2-3 months? But I'm a little rusty & slower than I ought to be, so YMMV.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I look forward to the demo reel when you do get a chance to finish and upload it.
    Sounds like you are one busy man. 64 hours of footage! I don't even think I've shot 64 hours of footage for clients since I've been editing video, LOL!
    What cameras are you shooting with?

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Currently shooting (with my own gear)? - Nikon DSLR, GoPros, Panny Prosumer cam, Fuji W3 (for Stereo3D, accompanied by S3D from the GoPros), plus I usually do separate audio with a Shure FP-32a mixer and a ZoomH4n. When hired out, I use whatever I've got available to me (with my own as fallbacks).

Not sure I'd say BUSY. It's always "hurry up & wait". Right now (literally), I'm waiting while my other workstation is upconverting the h.264 stuff to ProRes (haven't upgraded the workstation and it chokes on multiple layers of HD h.264, but the ProRes is OK since I've got a RAID system - that's next on my upgrade list!). I still have ~2 days before it'll all be finished and ready to sync on the timeline(s). THEN comes the fun, creative (and intensive) editorial work.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I give my clients blu-ray and DVD as standard because my NLE flow is HD throughout. For some of them it will be the first time to behold something personal in HD and makes them want to go out & buy a blu-ray player to view it with.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info Cornucopia and turk690.
    Turk690, great idea. I wonder if clients are using PS3 to view blu-ray?

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My 'client' is my employer.

So its DVD's

I'd love to deliver Blu-Rays but I guess there is little demand for Calculus tutorials and other instructional
    videos in HD.

Math is still math in SD!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
    I wonder if clients are using PS3 to view blu-ray?
    I'm aware a number of those who view the blu-rays I authored with Encore do so on a PS3. I test what I create on 4 blu-ray players: Sony S370 & SX910, Seiki 660, & Panasonic BD65 (h/w) and PowerDVDv9 on Win7/64/LG BH14NS40 (s/w). It has to play and navigate successfully on all of them. One trick is to use simple menus such as having motion only on main menu page and no pop-up shit to ensure the dumbest players will navigate accurately.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!