VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I'm a newbie to video editing. I got the recommendation for AviDemux from VideoHelp.
    Downloaded and installed. One reason for this program is I need to rotate a video from portrait to landscape.
    I also have Adobe Premiere CS4 which I tried, but was never able to get it to work either.
    And I'm having audio problems--as I posted elsewhere--so have to do the editing on another computer at work (the one with CS4).

I want to post the video on Vimeo and want to follow their compression etc. guidelines, but many of them don't seem to be available options on AviDemux.

There is a short help file for using AviDemux but it is incomplete even for newbies like me. Can't even find it again now, I think it was on the AviDemux forum site, somewhere.

For example, I could not find a way to start the editing program, if there is a way. I mean, after adding my video, and entering all the required info like filters, (after figuring out that filters can be added only after changing Video Output > Copy to one of the other options like FLV1 that also have sound), configuring, etc. then what? Is that it? Click Save and you're done?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, Choose file->save to start the conversion/encoding. CHoose a filename and be sure to add the video extension like avi,mp4 etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK thanks. But what about the settings for Vimeo upload. Here's what they say:

Vimeo accepts most major video codecs, but for best results we recommend using H.264. If you’re uploading High Definition (HD) video, choose the High Profile H.264 setting instead of Main Profile.
    [My camera uses h264, my phone I don't know]
    Advanced H.264 settings: To make your uploads extra smooth, choose the following advanced settings whenever possible.
    Closed GOP
    CABAC (to reduce your file size)

Vimeo recommends uploading with frame rates of 24 (or 23.976), 25, and 30 (or 29.97). If you know the frame rate of your footage, it's best to encode your final video at the same frame rate. However, if your footage exceeds 30 FPS (frames per second), you should encode your video at half that frame rate. For example, if you shot at 60 FPS, you should encode your final video at 30 FPS. If you're uncertain what frame rate you shot at, set your frame rate to either "Current" or 30 FPS. If there is an option for keyframes, choose the same value you used for frame rate. Important: Always choose "constant" frame rate instead of "variable" frame rate.

When you have the option, choose a “variable” bit rate and set the target to at least 2,000 kbit/s for standard definition (SD) video or 5,000 kbit/s for HD. Plus and PRO members have the option of uploading 1080p HD footage, which we recommend encoding at a bit rate of at least 10,000 kbit/s. (I'm not a plus or pro member.)

Common resolutions for SD video include 640 x 480 px (4:3 aspect ratio) and 640 x 360 px (16:9 aspect ratio). The most common setting for HD video is 1280 x 720 px (16:9 aspect ratio). Plus and PRO members have the option to present their videos at 1080p. 1920 x 1080 px is the most common resolution for 1080p video.
    Format Resolution Bit rate
    Standard Definition (SD)
    4:3 aspect ratio 640 x 480 px 2,000 – 5,000 kbit/s
    Standard Definition (SD)
    16:9 aspect ratio 640 x 360 px 2,000 – 5,000 kbit/s
    720p HD Video
    16:9 aspect ratio 1280 x 720 px 5,000 – 10,000 kbit/s

Audio
    Codec: For best results, we recommend using AAC-LC (low complexity) for the audio codec.
    Data rate: 320 kbit/s

For best results, encode your audio at constant rate of 320 kbit/s.
    For best results, set your audio sample rate to 48 kHz. If your working setting is already less than or equal to 48 kHz, leave it as is.
    How much of this can I do in Avidemux?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How to use "Fade to black" filter.
    Is the name of this filter correct? Does it only "fade to black"? Or is the name just a name? I ask because "fade to black" would not work on fade: in.
    And how to use the timers: does x: mean the previous box or the next box in the line of boxes? Is the list of boxes from left to right: hour - minute - seconds - milliseconds? Or something else?

I appreciate the help for newbies post elsewhere here, but it is for an earlier version of the program than the latest version i have.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!