VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been trying to use this to record live performances from my cable box, but the recordings continuously short out and it doesn't even save what was recorded beforehand. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

It will record for maybe a few minutes, then the red light will blink and not recognize my drive. I've used both a flash drive and an external HDD with a power supply. The rocket is plugged into the cable box, which has 1 usb port.

Is there something wrong with my drive? Does the cable box not have enough power to support a recording?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Usb?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Usb?
    Yes

USB is plugged into the cable box. 16 GB usb flash drive plugged in. Recording via component cables.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What kind of harddrive is it as in make and model?.
    What video input are your using with the Rocket?.
    Have you up grade the firmware on device to 33?.
    Are you using the Red USB to the cable box?.
    You try USB Power Adapter which need be 5V, 1A or more like most cellphone, iPad, iPhone, charger

I should point out that it doesn't record one long file you have wait in tell next firmware update that fix's that other then that just use your PC or Laptop.
    Last edited by SHS; 21st May 2014 at 01:21.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    What kind of harddrive is it as in make and model?.
    What video input are your using with the Rocket?.
    Have you up grade the firmware on device to 33?.
    Are you using the Red USB to the cable box?.
    You try USB Power Adapter which need be 5V, 1A or more like most cellphone, iPad, iPhone, charger
    The flash drive is a SanDisk Ultra 16GB. The hard drive is a SimpleTech SimpleDrive 1TB that I bought in 2009.

The video input is 720p/1080i from the cable box via component A/V in.

The firmware has been upgraded.

I've used the black and the red USB in the cable box.

I tried using my cellphone charger to plug it into the wall but I still had issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't understand. You are trying to record FROM the cable box TO the Hauppauge via the cable box USB?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I don't understand. You are trying to record FROM the cable box TO the Hauppauge via the cable box USB?
    No, I use the cable box as a power source and record to the flash drive/external HDD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In case you didn't see this
    Blinking Blue - No Video
    Blinking Red - No Thumb Drive
    Blinking Green - HDCP
    Solid Green - Ready to Record
    Red Record Ring - Recording!

Have you try reformatting the flash drive on a PC and choose format (NTSF)?.
    Have you ever use the SanDisk Ultra 16GB as a boot stick? I have that very same stick here.
    Test it with a PC or Laptop if it still you problem then you should call Hauppauge it possible you got a dumb device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    It a Stand Alone Device hech54 just so you know
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hdpvr_rocket.html
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    In case you didn't see this
    Blinking Blue - No Video
    Blinking Red - No Thumb Drive
    Blinking Green - HDCP
    Solid Green - Ready to Record
    Red Record Ring - Recording!

Have you try reformatting the flash drive on a PC and choose format (NTSF)?.
    Have you ever use the SanDisk Ultra 16GB as a boot stick? I have that very same stick here.
    Test it with a PC or Laptop if it still you problem then you should call Hauppauge it possible you got a dumb device.
    I just reformatted my flash to NTSF. I'm testing it now. I plugged the red USB into the cable box.

PC works fine, btw.

EDIT: *Sigh* Cut off after 7 minutes.
    Last edited by Yarotska; 21st May 2014 at 02:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Yarotska View Post
    No, I use the cable box as a power source and record to the flash drive/external HDD.
    Yes but the USB connection on a cable box is for an external HDD or stick for TV shows you want to record. There is no streaming video coming out of that USB connection. It's for storage....and the (usually) TS files the box places there are either proprietary or encrypted.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Yes but the USB connection on a cable box is for an external HDD or stick for TV shows you want to record. There is no streaming video coming out of that USB connection. It's for storage....and the (usually) TS files the box places there are either proprietary or encrypted.
    Like I said, I'm using it as a power source, not a feed. I'm using the component to A/V in, but it keeps shorting out after a few minutes, so I'm thinking perhaps there's not enough power in the box to support my recording.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Looks like my theory was about the cable box being weak was confirmed. Came upstairs and recorded half an hour straight from my digital converter box just by plugging the red chord into my Xbox that wasn't even turned on (but plugged in).

Thanks to everyone for helping out!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Like I said, I'm using it as a power source, not a feed. I'm using the component to A/V in, but it keeps shorting out after a few minutes, so I'm thinking perhaps there's not enough power in the box to support my recording.
    OK.....but I never got any hint of that from what you've posted so far though.
    I imagined you were going from the cable box USB, to the Hauppauge which had another USB storage device attached to it(the Hauppauge).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like my theory was about the cable box being weak was confirmed. Came upstairs and recorded half an hour straight from my digital converter box just by plugging the red chord into my Xbox that wasn't even turned on (but plugged in).

It sound like the Cable Box is only output 500mA (0.5A) which mean it can't be use as a charging or power ports to provide you up to 1500mA (1.5A) base on standard USB spec in order to run the HD-PVR Rocket.
    No problem you could always pick up a USB Power Adapter that has 2.0A+ (2000mA+) at 5V read spec on it, it should be print on case you need a magnifying glass to read it
    Pick a Apple iPad 12W USB Power Adapter
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Looks like my theory was about the cable box being weak was confirmed. Came upstairs and recorded half an hour straight from my digital converter box just by plugging the red chord into my Xbox that wasn't even turned on (but plugged in).

It sound like the Cable Box is only output 500mA (0.5A) which mean it can't be use as a charging or power ports to provide you up to 1500mA (1.5A) base on standard USB spec in order to run the HD-PVR Rocket.
    No problem you could always pick up a USB Power Adapter that has 2.0A+ (2000mA+) at 5V read spec on it, it should be print on case you need a magnifying glass to read it
    Pick a Apple iPad 12W USB Power Adapter
    I used the outlet to USB adapter that came with my cell phone and it works great!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just be sure that the USB power adapter is only luke warm after 10/15 min of full run time as in recording mode then your ok
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!