VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Windows® Phone 8.1 : Nokia Lumina 630

Introducing the best Windows® Phone experience ever. See all of your chats, social updates and settings in the all-new Action Center. Make your start screen your own by adding a background photo to see your real-time Live Tiles come to life never before.

Windows® Phone 8.1 : Nokia Lumina 630 is hitting the retailers any time soon for cheap.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DO you work for nokia?

Quote Quote  
  3. I wish, if I can.
    I will just be a buyer out of curiosity as it's under $100 or cheaper.
    MS main target is executives and managers, as they do not need to carry laptops.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    enim - You are the strangest guy here. I don't really understand the point of a lot of posts. You posted a really lengthy (probably too long in my opinion) post on a recent Linux release and now you are promoting Windows/Nokia's losing phone strategy. Nokia is the king of the garbage phone market. They rule in economically depressed third world markets like most of Africa where their low tech cheap phones are still popular. But in the western world and China they are done. Nobody really wants a Windows 8.1 phone. The marketplace has spoken before about Windows phones and made that clear, just like they will with this one.
    Quote Quote  
  5. enim - You are the strangest guy here. I don't really understand the point of a lot of posts. You posted a really lengthy (probably too long in my opinion) post on a recent Linux release and now you are promoting Windows/Nokia's losing phone strategy.
    First I want to make it clear that I am not promoting anything here, which you could have understand from my previous reply to Baldrick as well as I am not commercially compensated as well.

Regarding the strange thing is that I am not biased to any brand. I always keep trying (new things) and only the things that matter in trying is how much I trust in this real complex commercial capitalist world.

Nobody really wants a Windows 8.1 phone.
    Bill is still manufacturing in billions, may be is he not aware of the market research facts before launching and dumping products into the market.
    Last edited by enim; 21st May 2014 at 12:09.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well he might be unaware like he dumped Win8 onto us.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like others I'm not sure why this was posted but I'll answer some of the other posts. I've been using a Nokia Windows phone for just over a year (Lumia 925) and it is very good. It isn't perfect but compared for usability it beats Android hands down, it is designed and made by Nokia who have been making phones for decades so it works well as a phone. Unlike the iPhone which is a mini iPad that will work as a phone if it really must or any of the Samsung range that have such diabolical audio quality you can recognise if you are talking to someone using one immediately. Remember, Nokia also make most of the phone infrastructure too, so they know what they are doing. Microsoft want to get into the market currently dominated by Apple and Android, who better to join forces with but the market leader in phone manufacture? Blackberry is almost dead and buried and Windows offers a similar, if not better, level of security which was Blackberry's only real selling point to corporate users, so is quickly replacing Blackberry as the corporate choice. To say that nobody wants a Windows phone is utter rubbish, try one for a couple of weeks and see if you still feel the same.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it's debatable about whether they "know what they are doing" or not. In the developed world, Windows phones are already DOA. I don't think it's likely that anything is going to change that. Microsoft tried a major advertising push a few years ago and it failed. The apps that people really want don't exist for Windows phones. And even worse was the debacle where Microsoft released a new version of the phone OS and REFUSED to make it available on older phones. Suckers who bought those older Windows phones remember that. The only place where Nokia is taken seriously is in the 3rd world garbage phone market where their low price, low feature phones still rule because all the major Western manufacturers don't care at all about competing in those markets. iPhone call quality is quite good in my opinion. "work as a phone if it really must" is a great description of Blackberry in my limited experience.

Some things on an iPhone are not that well designed, at least not to me, but you can look online to figure out what you need to do and eventually you get the hang of how the phone works. I've used Android a little bit and to me it seems fairly well designed and a lot more intuitive than you think so we just have to agree to disagree here. Yes, Microsoft does want to be a big player in the phone market because they have to. Windows is losing market share every year. Phones and tablets are where the future big money is going.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A Nokia 520 for $60 or even less has been a great "bang for the buck" and more phone than my wife needs, and the 8.1 upgrade should make it even better. An i-anything is way overpriced unless you are carrying a phone as a status symbol.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Similar to the post above I will be considering this for my wife, as well as the Moto E or new version of G that was just announced.

From reviews I have seen and read Windows phone 8.1 is a very good easy to use phone, particularily if you are already within the Microsoft world using Windows at home, outlook for e-mail etc. The main draw back is lack of apps but that does not mater to many people. My wife uses her phone to text, some e-mail, and take a picture a couple of times a year. She is never going to download an app and use it, and there are many people like her that I know, who are not in developing countries.

I have no bias towards Microsoft. I use a Blackberry (required by my firm for security reasons), and my kids use an I Phone, a Nexus 5, a Samsung Galaxy, and a blackberry, so may as well add one more different phone to our plan
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by enim View Post
    Bill is still manufacturing in billions, may be is he not aware of the market research facts before launching and dumping products into the market.
    You realise Bill Gates hasn't had his hands on the levers at Microsoft in a loooooooong time, right?

Quote Quote  
  12. You realise Bill Gates hasn't had his hands on the levers at Microsoft in a loooooooong time, right?
    just replacing hasn't with didn't and dropping a ?-mark.
    Bill Gates didn't had his hands on the levers at Microsoft in a loooooooong time.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Checked out with three LOCAL BiG retailers. Sales rep @ two does not know anything about Nokia Lumina 630, I was the one to give'em details.
    According to third it may be available next week which was as good as he also knows nothing.
    I will check US retailers in my next visit to US.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    Checked out with three LOCAL BiG retailers. Sales rep @ two does not know anything about Nokia Lumina 630, I was the one to give'em details.
    According to third it may be available next week which was as good as he also knows nothing.
    I will check US retailers in my next visit to US.
    This because, as I said in post #4

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Nobody really wants a Windows 8.1 phone.
    The fact that two guys posted that their technology challenged wives want the phones does not mean that masses of humanity are interested. The sales reps don't know because almost nobody is going to buy them and Microsoft is doing little to promote them after their big promotional campaign (at least in the USA) of a few years ago failed miserably.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!