VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I wanted to get a few screenshot from an avi, but can't seem to get the video to stop exactly where I need it to. Is there a program that lets me move frame by frame, or do I have to keep trying to pause and try again? Thanks for your help!

Eks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you use Vdub, you can select "GoTo" and type the frame number in, it also lets you move forward and backwards in frames. You can then copy the frame to the clipboard Video > Copy source frame to clipboard.

For small AVI's you can load them into "Animation Shop 3" it comes with Paint Shop Pro. There are other programs but they are expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. To prevent confusion, by VDub he meant VirtualDub. It can be found at http://www.virtualdub.org I think. Check the tools section to be safe.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    5January2014
    I want/need some app/util to view/compare (SIDE-BY-SIDE!) frames of input/output video files ...
    I find that I can not use ViDub for this 'cuz the ViDub display pane goes grainy/blurry (to varying degress)
    when not the O/S current "ACTIVE" window ... i.e., having multiple instances of ViDub open
    means that the display pane of "INACTIVE" ViDub windows goes grainy/blurry ...
    so comparisons can not really be made ...

As always ... Any helpful replies/insights appreciated ...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In virtualdub, ypu could try options/preferences/display
    Unselect "use directx overlay"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    In virtualdub, ypu could try options/preferences/display
    I think you also have save the setting, close VirtualDub, and restart it for the change to take effect.

By the way, VirtualDub doesn't have a simple "save this frame as in image" function. You have to Copy the frame to the Windows Clipboard (Video -> Copy Source Frame to Clipboard), then start an image editor and Paste as a new image. Then save from the image editor.

But VirtualDubMod can save images directly. Use Video -> Snapshot Source Frame, and you can select from TGA, BMP, or PNG.
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Jan 2014 at 20:40.
    Quote Quote  
  7. MPC-HC will do it for existing video (I assume you're not trying to compare the original video with a filtered version before it's actually re-encoded?). There's a button on the navigation bar to step forward frame by frame, or the Ctrl key in combination with the back/forward arrows on your keyboard will step in either direction. The "Navigate/Go To" menu (Ctrl+G) lets you navigate to a specific frame number/time. I don't think MPC-HC can display the current frame number or the exact timecode in the navigation bar as VirtualDub does, but it probably doesn't matter for what you're wanting to do.
    If it does, you could use ffdshow for decoding and enable it's on screen display. That'd give you a screenshot which includes the frame number etc. Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mpchc.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	22556

By default, MPC-HC will only open one video at a time (double clicking on a file in Windows Explorer). If you use View/Options, under the Player menu there's an option to "open a new player for each media file". Restart MPC-HC for it to take effect.

The "File/Save Image" menu does the screenshot saving. BMP, JPG or PNG.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 5th Jan 2014 at 00:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    5January2014
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    In ViDub, ypu could try options/preferences/display
    Under Options\Preferences\Display I deselected "Disable accelerated display when inactive" ....
    SEEMS to have done the trick!

I am comparing input files (could be avi, mp4, mkv ...) with various output files ... and
    comparing various output files with each other ...
    I prefer to be able to jump around to various frames ...
    rather than repeatedly save/compare individual frames ...
    ... which I was (already) aware could be done .... e.g.,
    with MPC-HC's save frame functionality ... & etc ...

auf jeden Fall ... vielen Dank!
    Quote Quote  
  9. An even better method is to use AviSynth and interleave or stack (side by side) the two videos. Then use VirtualDub to view the AVS script.

Code:
    v1 = AviSource("file1.avi")
    v2 = AviSource("file2.avi")
    Interleave(v1, v2)
    Code:
    StackHorizontal(v1, v2)
    You can also subtract one image from the other and show the differences:

Code:
    Subtract(v1, v2)
    Tweak(cont=8.0) # enhance the difference 8x
    Interleaving lets you switch back and forth between the same frame in each video using the left and right arrow keys in VirtualDub. This is the easiest way to see small differences between two videos.
    Quote Quote