VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

im having an hdmi problems and hope someone can help

I have two pcs and im trying to connect both to a tv, through the hdmi slots but im not getting anything, just keeps saying no signal, so ill start with the first one.

Im using an nvidia 8600gts graphics card, up until Tuesday this one was working fine, but I did something really stupid and fried my psu, so I changed it over, one thing lead to another and I decided that the motherboard was fried also so I took some of the parts out to put them in another pc, to see what was working, but after a lot of trying things and mucking about, the mboard still actually worked, so I put all parts back in but the hdmi wasn’t working so I formatted the hard drive to get a clean install, but still nothing on the hdmi, and now ive bought another couple of wires and im still getting nothing.

When I have the vga and the hdmi connected together to try and get multiple screens going, I just get a blue screen and cant do anything on it, so im lost for what to do now.

The second one has a nvidia 9600gt, and that has been connected through the vga, but wanted it connected to hdmi, but im also having a problem getting a signal on that one, I set up multiple display on that one, but when I picked the tv, the vga went off and the hdmi didn’t work, so I had to reset th pc with the vga in to get anything on screen, I also restarted with hdmi in on its own, but now when I have both in I just get a blank screen again im lost what to do on this one aswell

I cant remember doing anything at the start to get the hdmi slots working, they just seemed to work, but I know it’s a volatile connection and either sometimes works or not

Both hdmi slots are enabled on the tv as I have had the first pc in both slots, both drivers are also up to date
    Quote Quote  
  2. Describe the "really stupid thing" that fried the PSU.

Verify that BOTH pc work with VGA on standard monitor. Verify resolution settings and TV capabilities.

Knowing what windows version you have would be helpful. TV make and model would be useful as well.

Wait until the drugs wear off before working on the PC again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try another hdmi output device on tv to rule out defective hdmi in connections before figuring out the fault with pc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You have to go into the nvidia control panel and select how you are going to output your video such as clone or copy or extend or use one device.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Both pc's work fine on vga, both hdmi slots were working on tv until I removed the graphics card last week thinking pc was fried, because I had pc 1 in both slots at different times, both pc's are detecting hdmi lead on pc, but i just get no signal on the tv end, and when i set up multiple displays i still get no signal on the tv side, i have another tv that i will try on both pc's tomorrow to see if it works on that, i have nothing else that has hdmi on it.

I have windows 7 and the most the tv resolution can take is 1920*1080, im using 1024*768 on a monitor at moment and the tv supports that tv is a bush 32947hd
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok so I tried my other tv with the hdmi slot on both pc’s and my other pc monitor and everything worked fine, graphics and wires all ok, I put on duplicate display and it came up on both screens immediately so I tried it again with the tv I am trying to use and done the same thing but again I am getting no signal, so it must be the hdmi slots on the tv that are not working or there is def something wrong with them, but I have no idea what it could be
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried plugging a blu-ray or cable to the hdmi that have issues?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't have any other device with an hdmi slot unfortunately
    Quote Quote  
  9. Repeat - Describe the process that fried your PSU, and most especially, WAS THE PC CONNECTED TO THE TV BY HDMI WHEN THIS HAPPENED?

High odds it was, diags so far say both TV slots are fried, knowing how this happened might be useful to others in the future.

There is a damn good reason that was the very first question I asked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I completely agree, Nelson37.

Also, though I could be wrong about this, but I would think that using a dual desktop setup with VGA+HDMI would likely NOT work, for 2 reasons: scaling negotiation issues with dissimilar protocols, and an incomplete HDCP handshake (because the VGA side doesn't support it).

If you are going to troubleshoot, you have to start simple with known-goods and test/change only one parameter at a time and go through each variable in the chain!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. I was cleaning some dust from the grill but forgot the power was connected and touched something I shouldn't have, cant remember if pc was on, but it was connected to tv, I would have thought there would be a lot more to get fried inside the pc including the hdmi slot on graphics card rather than hdmi slots on the tv which only one was connected, vga and hdmi both worked together up until last week, cause I had both pc's already set up
    Quote Quote  
  12. Knowing that the VGA and HDMI both worked LAST WEEK, would be far more useful if the EXACT TIME the PSU fried was stated.

Did the HDMI, on THIS TV, work AFTER the PSU was fried? Here is the critical piece of information. Whether or not you think they Should be related could not possibly be more irrelevant. The delay in putting forth this information has wasted a lot of time, both yours and that of several others.

Use only NON-CONDUCTIVE items inside the case unless the power cord is pulled, or you know what the hell you are doing. A carpet spark can fry most electronics.

EDIT: After a serious power surge, wait at least an hour or more before deciding whether or not any other parts are fried.

For Cornucopia, VGA + HDMI does work just fine, though there ARE scaling and resolution issues, the res has to be set to an available option for both devices. Playing an actual Blu-Ray disk might be an issue, but I've never done that. Hd movies and video games work just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  13. it hasn't worked after the psu died but I moved some of the parts to another pc thinking that was wasn't working and then when I put them back in reformatted the hard drive and i wasn't sure if the wire still worked so got more wires and I know they are not easy connections to work properly, so didn't think they would be fried if that is what has happened, but if they are fried surely the pc's wouldn't be detecting that both are connected to the tv
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Remove from your thoughts ANYTHING that starts with the word "surely". Then, describe what you think constitutes a WORKING vs. a NON-WORKING connection (not what you've seen, but what you would EXPECT to see).

I hate to say it, but I think your assumptions are what's holding you back from getting this solved more quickly.
    Of course, the solution might be "everything's fried".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. I am curious. Everything works on a different TV, interestingly enough the TV that WAS NOT connected to the PC when you fried the PSU, and on the TV that WAS connected when you fried the PSU, it does not work. Do you notice the ONLY DIFFERENCE between what WORKS, and what DOES NOT WORK?

Recognizing what a particular circuit IS, and then actually making it function, are two completely different things.

You have wasted a tremendous amount of your own time for no reason. You have obtained additional cables for no reason. There is absolutely nothing difficult, volatile, or unusual about HDMI connections. If you have intermittent connection problems you are doing something wrong.

In my professional opinion, there is an exceptionally high probability that the last clause in the previous sentence is generally applicable.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!