VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I have a PC set up with a TV dongle and it works fine with the proprietary software. The computer is headless and I can VNC into it to set it to record and then I play my files back through the connected TV via Serviio media server which is also on the PC.

This all works OK but it's a bit clumsy and clunky. when I VNC into the PC the TV screen is playing and so slows the connection and then navigating around teh program is a bit awkward.

Does anyone know of any PVR software for the PC which can be managed by an iPad app?

Thanks,
    Don
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe plex. If you get your tv dongle to work with it. Search the https://forums.plex.tv/ for pvr, tvtuner etc
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by donster22 View Post
    Does anyone know of any PVR software for the PC which can be managed by an iPad app?

Thanks,
    Don
    The best answer to this question, BY FAR, is Tivo.

The Tivo app integrates beautifully with Apple products.

With the Premiere model Tivo, you can use iPad or iPhone to do practically anything and everything with one simple app. You can play, pause, fast forward, rewind, etc. You can even schedule recordings at home or away.

The newest Tivo's, the Roamio Model, are even better. They do all the same things that the premier does, but it also gives you the ability to watch live or recorded shows on your apple device when you are away from home.

If you do go this route, you will need a TV to be connected in order to perform the initial setup. However, once you get rolling, you can go to headless, like you are now.

TC
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
    Originally Posted by donster22 View Post

Thanks,
    Don
    The best answer to this question, BY FAR, is Tivo.

The Tivo app integrates beautifully with Apple products.

With the Premiere model Tivo, you can use iPad or iPhone to do practically anything and everything with one simple app. You can play, pause, fast forward, rewind, etc. You can even schedule recordings at home or away.

The newest Tivo's, the Roamio Model, are even better. They do all the same things that the premier does, but it also gives you the ability to watch live or recorded shows on your apple device when you are away from home.

If you do go this route, you will need a TV to be connected in order to perform the initial setup. However, once you get rolling, you can go to headless, like you are now.

TC
    All well and good, but...

1. The OP is looking for a software PVR.
    2. In the UK (where the OP lives), TiVos are apparently only available to Virgin Media subscribers at present
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    Thanks for your replies. I have found something called ArgusTV which is is now working like a dream.
    Runs on my PC and has a great app for my iPad to browse EPG and set recordings: http://www.argus-tv.com/
    Also on the PC I have Serviio as my media center picking up the recordings and serving them wherever I need them.
    Cheers
    Don
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DIdn't know ArgusTV had an app.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    app works great but it's not in the appstore. i didnt realise you could install apps separately until i clicked the weblink on the argus site and it asked me if i wanted to install it.
    cheers, don
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!