VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I got this 25FPS PAL DVD that obviously has ghosting and is interlaced, so usually I just throw in srestore(frate=23.976) which makes the trick, but with this source it gives me heavy frame skipping, same with frate=24.000. So if I just apply tdeint, it still leaves dupe frames and ghosting. Also if I apply yadif instead of tdeint, for some reason it gives 50FPS result.

There's vob sample.

Any help would be great, cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes, there's a blend/no-blend/blend pattern, but every now and then you get two moving non-blends in a row, and further, every now and then you get three static non-blends in a row.

Hmmmm.

I'm thinking 23.976->Telecine->29.970->Blend->25.000 but I can't be bothered counting so I'll let someone more experienced chime in.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Woah woah so how do I do this in that order '23.976->Telecine->29.970->Blend->25.000'? Can you paste me some example scripts in that order? I've never done from lower fps to higher and then back to 25 before, don't really know how this works.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just saying it's gone through some weird frame rate conversion, do you know the country of origin? Is it an actual movie or a TV Show? SHOULD it be 23.976?

I've just run it through Srestore, it's jumping on the three static/nonblended fields. It's keeping two of them and that is what is causing all the problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's a movie (straight to DVD), R2 region PAL 25FPS. And yeah first time having such strange source, can't believe they're selling it like that. The DVD is UK import, the movie is obviously USA. So usually USA NTSC region is 23.976 no? But UK imports are PAL transfers.

So what does this mean? No way to fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I've tried 23.976, 25.000 and 29.97. Even after I've run it through SRestore to 23.976 I'm getting repeated frames which as far as I'm aware shouldn't be happening if the cause is too low a frame-rate. Srestore isn't discarding the right frames. It could still be caused by the wrong frame-rate throwing srestore off, there is a lower framerate that people use with Srestore... At a guess I'd say it's gone through multiple frame-rate conversions so SRestore can't pick up a pattern, and wouldn't know what to do even if it did. If they blend frame-rate converted a telecined source that might explain it. We'll see what others have to say.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I haven't looked too closely but I think the problem is that some of the original film frames exist only as blended frames. So if you remove blended frames you are missing some of the original film frames. Then when you decimate to 23.976 fps some other frames have to be left as duplicates to make up for the missing frames. I think you should just leave the video as it is. Anything you do is likely to just make things worse.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Lol, I want my money back!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Knowing how SRestore() works makes this clear: first it replaces blended frames with nearby unblended frames. Then it decimates to the desired frame rate. Here's an example crop of four consecutive frames from a panning shot:

Name:  four.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  4.8 KB

The white bar is moving across the frame from left to right. This represents three film frames with the bar in three separate locations. You can see that the two middle frames have blending artifacts from the frames above and below. If SRestore() detected those as blended frames and removed them, that original film frame would be gone.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've never worked with PAL but if you're getting 50fps result using Yadif you should be able to use "SelectEven()" or "SelectOdd()" to get the frame rate down to 25fps.

Edit:

You could also try something like this, it works well with NTSC sources with similar problems, I don't know how it would work with a PAL source:

interp = nnedi3()
    deint = TDeint(edeint=interp, emask=TMM())
    TFM(pp=6, micmatching=2, slow=2, clip2=deint)
    TDecimate(mode=1)
    Quote Quote  
  11. This gives 20FPS.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ok - try changing the last line to:

tdecimate(cycle=25)

I don't think this will get rid of "all" the blends, (I think probably what you are calling ghosts), but it may interpolate them in such a way that they're not too noticeable when played. I don't know how you could get around removing them completely without winding up with that jerky playback. How did it look at 20fps?
    Last edited by mugz8391; 21st May 2014 at 15:25.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Don't you think it should be tdecimate(mode=0, cycle=25)? The scan order is bottom first.

Anyway cycle=25 gives 24fps. I don't get it how this works. And too many skipping frames with 20fps.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by rhaz View Post
    Anyway cycle=25 gives 24fps. I don't get it how this works.
    It's the same as:

TDecimate(Mode=0,Cycle=25,CycleR=1)

It removes one frame deemed to be the most like a duplicate out of every 25 frames. It does nothing about the blending but there's a chance it'll result in a more smoothly playing video. But, since it was never telecined in the first place, I probably wouldn't use TIVTC on it at all, myself.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I was just messing around with your vob file, because I never tried encoding from PAL before and came up with these two test clips and would like your impressions:

Code:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!ZAdHmQgB!J_aimnBx_a531pX3DMZuVXmCoe8bhX9wXjWidh-Exl4
    Quote Quote  
  16. I let it go already, you can't do much about it, it's skipping throughout anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  17. When I work with PAL I usually use this

QTGMC(preset="fast")
    srestore()

maybe assumefps() might help out.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 15th Jun 2014 at 07:21.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was telecined from 24p to 60i then field blended down to 50i. Nothing in existence at the moment is going to fix that or even make it particularly watchable at anything other than it's current frame-rate.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!