VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last week I ordered a brand new computer its beening built by ibuypower. I ordered a Liquid CPU Cooling System by amd with it. How long should it last? Will it ever need to be replaced? Ill be doing lots of video encoding, editing videos,capture videos and playing games on it. Will me doing all those stuff decrease the liquid cooling system? The reason why i got the cooling system is cause my old deskop gets so much warm air blowing from it. Its using a basic intel heatsink. Cpu is amd fx 8350. I never had a cpu cooling system so its all new to me.
    Last edited by Wizard23; 17th May 2014 at 03:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's a closed system and ideally the liquid won't get out. It really shouldn't bother you. In my experience so far these are more noteworthy:
    • after its specified lifetime the pump is the first to malfunction
    • constant wide temperature swings due to big differences in CPU utilization may have the tendency to loosen the screws that bolt this pump to the CPU
    • dust bunnies collect on the radiator fins and prevent heat dissipation
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use a couple of Corsair liquid cooling systems. They use common auto antifreeze and water. I set mine up to draw filtered air from inside the PC to keep from getting dust in the radiator core and plugging it. You could also add an external filter if you draw outside air. Just make sure you clean it occasionally. Inside air isn't as efficient for cooling, but I have two big 120mm intake fans with filters at the front of the PC and the filters are much easier to clean than the radiator.

I also plug the cooling pump into a power fan socket on the PC motherboard. That's a fan socket that isn't speed controlled. It's also set to be monitored for 'fan failure' by the motherboard, so hopefully I will get notice if the pump dies. I also have a overtemp alarm (60C+) on the motherboard set to notify me of higher than usual temperatures.

I am completely 'sold' on liquid cooling after going through several good brand aftermarket air cooling heatsinks. The last huge one used two 80mm fans and the overclocked PC still ran way too hot. My PC now idles at 20C and runs about 40C under full load. I also use a passively cooled video card so my PC runs very quietly.

A bonus of liquid cooling is that the inside of the PC is now much cooler. The air type CPU heatsinks dumped a lot of heat inside the PC and the exhaust fans didn't pull it all out. RAM, Northbridge, Southbridge and GPU chips all benefit.

EDIT: I am also using a AMD FX-8350 with liquid cooling. It's great for H.264 encodes.
    A thread about building it: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360866-Motherboard-CPU-RAM-upgrade-to-8-core-AMD-CPU
    Last edited by redwudz; 17th May 2014 at 17:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I went to liq cooling 3 years ago and never looked back. So far no problems. Red..... what brand cooler are you using?
    [EDIT]: Sorry, you posted your unit in your link:
    I'm using a Corsair H-50 water cooler.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Compared to a huge and noisy $50+ air cooler, Liquid cooling is really the way to go. I also use 120mm PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) fans on the radiator. They run at a very low 600 RPM unless the CPU temp rises, then they can go up to 2000 RPM or so if needed. I use the same 120mm PWM fans for my front intake fans. Some newer MBs like mine do a great job of working with PWM fans for the CPU and the case.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!