VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have a DTSMA.7.1 .mkv video that plays the audio 'jerky'. I stripped out the audio, and 'mkvmerged' a DVD audio with a HD video, but it's out-of-sync. Does anyone know how to 're-sync' the audio to the video, so it's in sync?
    I have 'Handbrake', 'MKVMerge', and 'River Past Video Cleaner', but I don't see where any of those has a 're-syncing' option.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. If it's off by the same amount all the way through you set a delay of the right amount when remuxing. Either that or remove the delay entirely using DelayCut. If the delay gets progressively worse, you may be effectively out of luck. That's the chance you take using audio and video from two different sources.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any difference in frame rates between the original and new audio? Maybe a couple of MediaInfo logs might reveal something?
    It sounds like you need a full on editor like Vegas or even Womble or Adobe Audition etc to play with the audio timings.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If it's a offset sync error, where the sync error stays the same though the length of the video, you can play back the video in a player like Media Player Classic and adjust the audio delay or advance there. Then you write down that delay/advance number and use it to add or subtract the start time of the audio in the video. This is fairly easy.

If the sync gradually drifts off, then usually the audio and the video are different lengths. If it's only a small amount, you can sometimes use an audio editor like Audacity to shorten or lengthen the audio until it matches. You will need to demux the audio out, edit it, then mux it back with the video. Still fairly easy.

Unfortunately, sync drift can also be caused because the audio track you have isn't the same as the original video. It may have edits within the video. There is no easy way to fix this except by taking the video apart in small pieces and fixing each of the error parts. Very difficult and time consuming.
    Last edited by redwudz; 17th May 2014 at 02:05.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the responses. I found that VLC(not my fav player), has options('J', and 'K' keys) to sync-up audio. It doesn't 'fix' the file, just plays it back in sync. I also found that Windows Media Player Classic has an 'audio time shifter' option under internal filters, which will play the file back in sync. Again, this is not a perm fix. The article I found said that you could, after finding out how many ms you wanted to - or +, 'save as' your file, and it would save your video
    synced up. I've tried that twice, both times letting it 'save as' for over 15 hours....neither time it worked. It would be nice if Windows Media Player(I have 12), would have this option, but I can't see to find it anywhere...anyone know how to find the 'internal filters'>'audio switcher'>'audio time shift' in WMP12?
    Maybe 'save as' would work there?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think you are looking for Media Player Classic or MPC-HC. Those aren't associated with MS or Windows Media Player.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, Media Player Classic is not a Windows program? Well, that would explain why WMP12 doesn't have the options I'm looking for. 'These aren't the options you're looking for, move along'. Araaaaghhhh!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by tkmops View Post
    Oh, Media Player Classic is not a Windows program?
    It is. It's just not WMP. So, I'll repeat. Find out the delay and remux with the delay added in. Either that or completely remove the delay before remuxing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I know what the delay is. Is there a way to remove the delay via 'MKVMerge', or do I have to use Audacity? If I use Audacity, I would have to rip out the audio part(with MKVMerge?), use Audacity to 'edit out' delay at the beginning, then use MKVMerge to merge the video and new audio files together?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by tkmops View Post
    Is there a way to remove the delay via 'MKVMerge'
    Yes, at least there's a way to set one.
    or do I have to use Audacity?
    Unless your audio is WAV audio, that will require a reencode. So, no, you don't have to, nor should you, use Audacity just for removing a delay. I already told you how to remove the delay completely (hint: DelayCut). Since you extracted the new audio from the DVD, I'll assume you already have it somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, I found out how to do it with MKVMerge. Great! Thanks everyone!!!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!