VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My first post, so please be somewhat kind.

I've noticed in a lot of movie rips that the audio is downmixed to stereo and I don't understand why. I especially don't understand this if the movie is ripped from a BR disk. A movie's audio score is just as important as what's playing on the screen, maybe even more so, in helping the viewer become immersed in the story. In the somewhat distant past, I could maybe understand this in terms of file size, when rips mayhap needed to fit on a CD or DVD, but not now and really not even back then. As I understand it, most every player will auto-downmix surround into stereo if that's what audio the player has access to...so there's no need to hardcode a downmix into the rip.

Anyone out there that could perhaps enlighten me or point me somewheres I could look at an answer already posted?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No one's stopping you from ripping your own BR discs your own way. But if you are talking about someone else's BR discs that are ripped for illegal downloading on the internet, well then...

Check out the forum rules concerning warez.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Well, maybe you should (try to) ask the "releasers" themselves

While storage space (generally) is not a concern anymore,
    download time and limited connection speeds still are factors to be considered.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And yes, you are correct in the understanding that players will, and in fact MUST support, realtime downmixing of AC3 and DTS surround tracks to stereo (or in the case of AC3, to Dolby ProLogic).

If, however, you are getting your "rips" from other than legitimate sources, you really are in no position to complain about what you're getting.
    Nor should we assist, or even care about what quality they "ought" to be.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm only curious as to the reasoning behind why someone would hardcode a downmix into a rip instead of letting the player do it's work. And this seemed to be the best place to ask, or at least the place where I could ask easily and receive a timely response.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    File size for one. Secondly, you would need hardware to properly decode the audio. For a home theater environment, this would/should be a non issue. But the majority of users, don't use them in that environment.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!