VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking to purchase either one of these. I've tried them both out and they both do what I need them to do and that's edit AV into a nice package for uploads in high quality.

As far as I know though, avs is $60 for a lifetime subscription and with Sony vegas movie studio 13 is $50, but if 14 comes out I will have to rebuy that as well and any other upgrades. So cost wise, AVS editor is definitely the way to go.

Other than price considerations, is there anything else that justifies the long term more expensive sony vegas movie studio over the avs editor?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Who says you HAVE to purchase Movie studio 14 when it comes out? Some here are still using older versions of movie studio and doing a bang up job. I have never uses AVS but have used Movie Studio and some adobe products to edit and produce good videos. My preference is Vegas Movie Studio for now.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still running Vegas 10, don't need newer version yet.

If you want bang for the buck, you can't beat (FREE) AviUtl. I think it is much more powerful than your AVSvideo editor. I never tried AVSvideo editor, but judjing by the screen shots it looks pretty weak.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. Movie studio upgrades are always discounted, and if you later find the need for real pro features (multicam, aaf, etc) there's also savings on the upgrade to Vegas Pro (plus you're past the hard part of the learning curve.)

But it's up to you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MovieStudio 13 just barely came out! You're good for at least a year or two.

Also, lifetime subscription = no upgrade revenue for company = ?
    Last edited by budwzr; 14th May 2014 at 20:44.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I never thought about not upgrading the sony vegas movie studio and being fine with it even if it is a few versions behind. Hmmm...something to think about.

@racer-x

I downloaded this aviutl which looks impressive but is not user friendly.

If you could tell me if it does the following or not:

1. subtitles on videos
    2. simple transition fade out and fade ins
    3. 2 different videos on the same screen (one smaller one in the corner and the bigger one as the background)
    4. being able to render/export to lossless video/audio.

If it can, I will figure out how to do these and switch over!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by uglijimus View Post
    I downloaded this aviutl which looks impressive but is not user friendly.

If you could tell me if it does the following or not:

1. subtitles on videos
    2. simple transition fade out and fade ins
    3. 2 different videos on the same screen (one smaller one in the corner and the bigger one as the background)
    4. being able to render/export to lossless video/audio.

If it can, I will figure out how to do these and switch over!
    No, it's not the most user friendly , but you can get the hang of it pretty easily, and it's free

2,3,4 => yes

What do you mean by "subtitles" exactly ? Do you mean a text overlay, or actual subtitles support with timing eg. SSA, ASS, SRT, VobSub etc...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVS Editor is a good editor. Simple, fast and pratice.

The only real downside is no have 50/59.94/60 output modes in AVI/MKV/MP4/TS. Ok, its work but u have write perfil in text mode.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

No, it's not the most user friendly , but you can get the hang of it pretty easily, and it's free

2,3,4 => yes

What do you mean by "subtitles" exactly ? Do you mean a text overlay, or actual subtitles support with timing eg. SSA, ASS, SRT, VobSub etc...
    sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant simple text overlay. I'm assuming this is no problem if the other 3 options can be done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by uglijimus View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

2,3,4 => yes

sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant simple text overlay. I'm assuming this is no problem if the other 3 options can be done.
    No problem at all, along with full animation of text, graphics and masks....

I make a couple of tutorials that may help. You can find them in the guide section of this site.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    holy moly Batman!

I am impressed by this editor. Thank you Racer-x. I wasn't able to get through everything in the small amount of time I had at lunch today, but I was able to put two videos together and encode them in lossless formats video and audio! Can't wait to try the other stuff, you may have saved me some money!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Along with lossless avi, you can also export to avc (x264) or hevc (x265) via the x265 export plugin in mp4 or mkv containers. I covered it on my tuts.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I forgot to mention your first tut is how I was able to do what I did. Great and very well explained.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm use Sony Studio 12 and have no plans to upgrade until they get "Smart render" to work on AVCHD files..
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!