VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello folks,

I'm fairly new to video manipulation. Someone sent me a VHS rip in MOV format. Vertical lines tend to be really wobbly. See my attached screen shot.

Can this be cleaned up? If so, what program would you recommend I use?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Robert
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2014-05-13-10h03m50s119.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	25198  

Quote Quote  
  2. a TBC is what you're looking for i believe.
    Read here:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/

Last edited by themaster1; 14th May 2014 at 13:16.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. You might be able to clean it up with a line TBC before capturing. Once captured it cannot be fixed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since I don't have access to the original source VHS tape, I assume then, that cleaning up these wobbly distortions is a hopeless task? I was hoping to find some kind of software based TBC that would clean this up before burning to disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. Too wobbly to fix in the digital stage with any "intelligent" solution.

If you had the tape, a TBC would be very effective for this problem in the analog stage. And if there was only a tiny bit of jitter, with a much lower threshold, it could be improved somewhat (or well disguised) with noise removal software that also applies temporal filters with motion analysis.

Only a studio, with a full time professional video staff, that is dedicated to restoring video, frame by frame, field by field, or scanline by scanline, manually, with expensive software, can fix this.

As for domestic, or home solutions, it's quite hopeless and unrealistic. I'm sorry.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, as a last-ditch effort, it might be worth a try to throw that "software TBC" AVISynth script (as mentioned in previous threads here) at it and see what happens. Couldn't hurt, might help. You never know...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!