VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

In the past, before I knew even what little I know now about A/V encoding, a friend of mine 'helped' me to back up some of my Blu-rays (like my START TREK:TOS Blu-rays) And, when he did this, unfortunately he ripped the black bars out leaving the episode files with a native AR of 1440x1080 which I BELIEVE is an HD 4x3 AR. Now, in the past, with SOME 1440x1080 Blu-ray discs that I've made from files like this I CAN change the AR with my television and get them to show properly and the different settings change the way it is displayed. This is of course the way it is with MOST discs you would play normally. But... In THIS case, when I try to play it on my OPPO Blu-ray player, the AR / picture is basically 'Locked in' and no matter what I change my television AR to, the picture is not affected in any way. It just stays stretched to a full 16x9. This has also happened on occasion before. But only a few times. With basically ALL normal Blu-rays, you can always use your television and stretch the picture or squish it or go from 16x9 to 4x3, each setting affecting the way the picture looks. But, in this case above and a few times before, the picture or AR has stayed completely 'Locked' in a full 16x9 picture, thus looking stretched horizontally.

Now, my question is, is there some SPECIFIC flag or value within the Blu-ray folder / structure that tells the player to 'Lock' the picture or to 'Force' the 16x9 AR like that? There must be SOME setting or value that makes a difference, because I know that I've had other encodes at the exact same AR and they WOULD allow me to change the way the picture is displayed on my television. Obviously, whatever BDRB does when it processes the files seems to force the picture into an unchangeable AR of 16x9 (I used BDRB in this case to combine a number of episodes onto one Blu-ray)

I remember trying to do this before with some STAR TREK: TOS Blu-ray backups that he had done of the series. I took some HD 1440x1080 encodes and put them into a Blu-ray format (probably just using TSMuxer alone; I don't remember) and I THINK I remember that in some cases they DID allow me to play around with the AR. However, I think it was with the next season of that show, I tried to do the same thing, but this time (with EXACTLY the same 1440x1080 AR) the resulting Blu-rays did NOT allow me to change the picture from a forced 16x9 AR.

Any thoughts...?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    Any thoughts...?
    1440x1080 Blu-Rays are, by definition, 16:9:

https://www.videohelp.com/hd

1.33:1 material should be encoded for Blu-Ray with the black bars on the sides. You can probably take them out of being Blu-Rays and make them MKVs or something, but I don't know what an Oppo plays.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    Any thoughts...?
    1440x1080 Blu-Rays are, by definition, 16:9:

https://www.videohelp.com/hd

1.33:1 material should be encoded for Blu-Ray with the black bars on the sides. You can probably take them out of being Blu-Rays and make them MKVs or something, but I don't know what an Oppo plays.
    Thanks kindly for the reply!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!