VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Windows 8.1 Update Requirement Extended

GooD News for Windows 8.1 users...

While we believe the majority of people have received the update, we recognize that not all have. Having our customers running their devices with the latest updates is super important to us. And we’re committed to helping ensure their safety. As a result, we’ve decided to extend the requirement for our consumer customers to update their devices to the Windows 8.1 Update in order to receive security updates another 30 days to June 10th. As noted previously, consumer customers who do not update their Windows 8.1 devices to the Windows 8.1 Update by this new deadline will no longer receive updates. We’re confident that within the next month, the majority of the remaining customers who haven’t updated their devices to the Windows 8.1 Update will be able to do so.
    If you are still using Windows 8.0, update it to 8.1, and THEN there...
    long series of updates are still waiting.

By the way, just quick Q?
    What is an update & Why it is required?

Do these updates really mean that We just develop shitty-software which requires customers/users to taste -n- test both, plus provide endless feed-back of their valuable good-n-bad experiences to us to improve further. We just need big numbers of customers who can pay licencing fee BiLL and test as well. That's it our job is done <- "Satya Oovach"
    Last edited by enim; 12th May 2014 at 20:39.
    Quote Quote  
  2. somebody (sweeeeet) just asked me...
    Is Windows 8.1 End-Of-Life date is tomorrow?

I replied Funny Honey, "I really do not know!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does this apply to those who stayed with win 8? My wife has a laptop that has never been updated except the day win8 was first installed pre-win 8.1. It's rarely used online.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, I bought a win8 pro 64 bit oem disc a while back and it's still unopened. It was bought for a personal desktop build which is stalled for now. I was afraid to use up the license by installing it on an older PC in case it would get attached to the old hardware but just went online to read the license terms and found out that as a personal user I can install it now and later remove it if I want to re-use it on my newer build.

http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

For now I'll be putting this OS on a 2core E8400.

I just wish I could download the 8.1 pro update and put it on a disc so I don't have to download it again when I switch the OS over to another PC some time in the future. MS isn't making this easy. Sounds like I'll be facing lengthy updating.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Does this apply to those who stayed with win 8?
    I have absolutely NO CLUE.

I just wish I could download the 8.1 pro update and put it on a disc so I don't have to download it again when I switch the OS over to another PC some time in the future. MS isn't making this easy. Sounds like I'll be facing lengthy updating.
    May be someone who used Windows 8 and upgraded to Windows 8.1 can focus more light on this. Probably MS might have easy transitional cumulative ISO for Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 including all latest updates. Your best bet would be dropping a few lines to Microsoft Support.

So far, I am absolutely NOT concerned with what so ever Windows End-Of-Life dates are.
    I would love to spend my summer time somewhere in Antarctica.
    Last edited by enim; 12th May 2014 at 22:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 8 is the worst crap ever. It's very dorky. That Steve Ballmer was the biggest dolt in the world. He ruined Microsoft with failure after failure. Look at Zune.

Microsoft has no clue about what users want today. They only care about keeping Office alive.
    Last edited by budwzr; 12th May 2014 at 22:32.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    Does this apply to those who stayed with win 8? My wife has a laptop that has never been updated except the day win8 was first installed pre-win 8.1. It's rarely used online.
    Last month I posted the following information about the deadline for updating from 8 to 8.1 in this thread:

The latest information I found said that Microsoft will supply security updates to Windows 8 itself until January 2016. After that, systems still using Windows 8 should be upgraded to 8.1 with Update 1 (or maybe Update 2 by that point).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Last month I posted the following information about the deadline for updating from 8 to 8.1 in this thread:
    Very informative.

I was just wondering about Windows 8.0/Windows 8.1 licensing cost and ended-up somehow
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/Windows/categoryID.62684800

Clicking on left side links gives following error message, if microsoftstore is a microsoft authentic sub-website.
    Windows 8.1
    Sorry, no products were found.
    It is quite strange.
    Should I regard as Microsoft's Windows Shop closed down?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had problems with Windows 8 on my laptop from the day I bought it. I foolishly upgraded to W8.1 and I had even more problems.
    It was a struggle to get the PC to work the way I wanted once again. I can't really recommend upgrading to W8.1. Just my opinion.

And this is computer news, not latest video news. Moving it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I had problems with Windows 8 on my laptop from the day I bought it. I foolishly upgraded to W8.1 and I had even more problems.
    Not surprised.
    In my nearly closed circle, two bought brand new laptops with Windows 8 pre-installed. One rolled-back to Windows 7 SP1 and other one is scared either to update or rolling-back and sticking to Windows 8 as is without messing around any updates. Both are under warranty fortunately.

as said earlier...
    Originally posted by budwzr

Windows 8 is the worst crap ever. It's very dorky. That Steve Ballmer was the biggest dolt in the world. He ruined Microsoft with failure after failure. Look at Zune.
    Windows 8 seems like a total fiasco.
    Last edited by enim; 13th May 2014 at 01:20.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had bad problems with windows 8.1 with programs not working properly until i gave it administrators rights and other programs such as subtitle edit not working half the time,too much effort to get things working.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I had problems with Windows 8 on my laptop from the day I bought it. I foolishly upgraded to W8.1 and I had even more problems.
    What sort of problems should I expect? As soon as I can buy a "Haswell refresh" CPU I'll be upgrading this PC..... finally....
    I'm trying to decide whether to go with Win7 or Win8.1. It needs to be one of those as the MB/chipset doesn't support XP (or Vista). I figured I'd bite the bullet and go with Win8.1 as it's newer, but if it's going to drive me nutty.......
    I mainly use the PC as a media player, to re-encode video (MeGUI) and general surfing/email. The existing MB/CPU will go into another case and continue running XP, so while I do have a couple of old programs which mightn't run on a newer version of Windows, support for them isn't too much of an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Out of curiosity, I was searching Windows 8/8.1 multi-media related issues on internet, and found a CLOSED thread on stack overflow -> Win 8.1 All video players crash on trying to play a video

Originally posted by johns0

I had bad problems with windows 8.1 with programs not working properly until i gave it administrators rights and other programs such as subtitle edit not working half the time,too much effort to get things working.
    If Windows 8/8.1 users post like the way johns0 did would serve as a guide-line to the rest of the Windows users.

WARNING
    --------------
    For better system security, users must avoid using such programs demanding for administrators rights in order to keep the system in-tact. No codecs, No encoders & No decoders usually need administrator's rights
    Last edited by enim; 13th May 2014 at 02:37. Reason: re-read johns0 cooments
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by enim View Post
    WARNING
    --------------
    For better system security, users must avoid using such programs demanding for administrators rights in order to keep the system in-tact. No codecs, No encoders & No decoders usually need administrator's rights
    Why? How would giving a trusted program administrator rights reduce system security?

Is it possible to disable that annoyance for win7 or win8 and/or just run an admin account with admin rights as you can when using XP? (yes, I know it'd be less secure but I don't care).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Why? How would giving a trusted program administrator rights reduce system security?

Is it possible to disable that annoyance for win7 or win8 and/or just run an admin account with admin rights as you can when using XP? (yes, I know it'd be less secure but I don't care).
    Most of the time system resources and libraries remains available to all programs. Under normal cases all muti-media programs do not require administrator's rights.

I do not know much about Windows 7 and Windows 8, I had couples of experiences where program installation modified couples of key system files on Windows XP machine. I really did not care much about system file alteration or possibilities of mal-wares/viruses as I used XP machine only for surfing.

It is up to users either he/she should allow any program to gain administrator's right or not.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    WARNING
    --------------
    Why? How would giving a trusted program administrator rights reduce system security?

Yes, you can just use an admin account with either Windows 7 or Windows 8.x. I left it turned on, but you will probably want to turn off UAC too so that you do not get a warning every time a program that you are running does something that requires administrator rights, even if you are logged in as an administrator. UAC also issues a warning if you run a program that is unsigned.

I haven't had many problems with 8.x, but I use only a limited number of programs on the systems running it compared to my Windows 7 system.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th May 2014 at 11:31. Reason: left out a word
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The worst thing about Windows 8 is that it's a transitional release trying to move users toward a future Cloud-based Mobile OS, but nobody knows what that future will look like.

Microsoft's tablets are only 1080 resolution and cost $1000+. Expect to pay $2000+ for all the accessories like dock, mouse, etc. MS isn't selling the hardware cheaper, like Google, to gain market share. They're milking their captive customers for top dollar.

We're dealing with a Microsoft that's bitter and vengeful that they're losing market share. They thought they were king, now they can't eat cake anymore. I remember their hoity-toity attitude when you needed tech support.
    Last edited by budwzr; 13th May 2014 at 11:13.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    WARNING
    --------------

Yes, you can just use an admin account with either Windows 7 or Windows 8.x. I left it turned on, but you will probably want to turn off UAC too so that you do not get a warning every time a program that you are running does something that requires administrator rights, even if you are logged in as an administrator. UAC also issues a warning if you run a program that is unsigned.
    Ahhhh.... yes..... UAC..... I think that's what I was thinking of, but the name eluded me at the time. Not being able to disable UAC would definitely be a deal breaker for me, so it's nice to know it can be disabled for Win8.
    I'm familiar enough with Win7 to know what to expect, but I've not used a computer running Win8. I might investigate the possibility of taking it for a test drive before I choose between Win7 and 8.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  18. What is UAC : User Account Control?

I was reading more information on UAC model on windows, and came across following.

Excerpts from Microsoft Website...
    User Account Control (UAC) is a security component that enables users to perform common tasks as non-administrators (called standard users in Windows Vista), and as administrators without having to switch users, log off, or use Run As. User accounts that are members of the local Administrators group run most applications as a standard user. By separating user and administrator functions, UAC helps users move toward using standard user rights by default.

When an administrator logs on to a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, the user is assigned two separate access tokens. Access tokens, which contain a user's group membership and authorization and access control data, are used by the Windows operating system to control what resources and tasks the user can access. The access control model in earlier Windows operating systems did not include any failsafe checks to ensure that users truly wanted to perform a task that required their administrative access token. As a result, malicious software could install on users' computers without notifying the users. (This is sometimes referred to as a "silent" installation.)

Even more damaging, because the user is an administrator, the malicious software could use the administrator's access control data to infect core operating system files, and in some instances, become nearly impossible to remove.
    How come an average Windows user gonna know which system files are silently modified by granting administrator's right to preferred program?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by enim View Post
    How come an average Windows user gonna know which system files are silently modified by granting administrator's right to preferred program?
    I guess you wouldn't, but at the same time, I'm not sure it's an issue. Do "trusted" programs tend to modify system files these days? I'm still running XP. No UAC to be found. Installing "preferred programs" doesn't seem to break anything. Well..... unless it's a preferred Microsoft program...... I could tell you a few stories.

UAC seems to be a case of fixing the wrong problem to me. I was looking at the last round of Antivirus tests at AV-Comparatives recently. The "baseline" was an up to date Windows 7 installation with Microsoft Security Essentials installed. Dual layer protection which let around 12% of the test malware infect the computer. Yet the other day, after connected a USB hard drive to a friend's Win7 laptop, I needed to ensure UAC the sky wasn't falling every time I tried to copy a file to it. Possibly because I was using a third party file manager rather than Windows Explorer, but I think if I owned a PC with UAC enabled it'd drive me nutty pretty quickly.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UAC seems to be a case of fixing the wrong problem to me. I was looking at the last round of Antivirus tests at AV-Comparatives recently. The "baseline" was an up to date Windows 7 installation with Microsoft Security Essentials installed. Dual layer protection which let around 12% of the test malware infect the computer.
    I have a theory about why Windows includes built-in security software and a fire wall, but both suck. LOL Windows is the primary target for malware, and some people might be tempted to sue Microsoft for not including built-in security of some kind that is active by default, but at the same time, if too many people don't replace it with third-party security software, Microsoft is back in court facing another billion dollar anti-competition lawsuit because it is bundled with the OS and active by default.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th May 2014 at 16:18. Reason: removed repeated word
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to disable UAC for my account on my wife's laptop last night because Every time I tried to make changes I kept getting the idiotic password prompt. Normally since UAC defaults the admin to standard it should prompt me for the password one last time but it didn't it just kept saying I needed to be an admin to apply the change. I signed back on with my wife's account and got the same results! Finally I typed UAC in the control panel search and the right form popped up. I deleted some garbage, installed a few software and got no more prompts.

btw) After applying 51 updates to win8, I "updated" (migrated might be a better word) win8 to 8.1 and could see a small change for the better. It's not a start button yet but at least there are a few things showing up under the right click where the start button would be. It was late to check further and I didn't do Update1 yet. Maybe I should do another 16GB backup and also a restore disc at this point before anything else. Hopefully Update1 adds more familiar desktop type functionality.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!