VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Im new here, and I got problem I cant play files wich I record on USB key with this cisco box 4682DVB I try with a lot diferent player's form BS to kmz, gom, VLC ... I try even rename that file extension to .mp2 .ts .avi and nothing happen.

I try diferent converters to recode that video, and again nothin.

Is any chance to watch that video on my PC ?

thx for any informations.

media info details of renamed file

original file
    Click image for larger version

Name:	codec.jpg
Views:	2795
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	25145
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At first glance it looks like a bad muxing, or even a GOP situation, which can arise from a video put together on the fly from a capture.

The first thing I'd try is to let VideoReDo recalculate the GOPs (Tools->QuickStream Fix). If you like, upload a sample so some of us can try it. (Also, it looks like a cool unit, and would love to see the quality. )

What was the original extension? If it was M2TS or TS, you can play around with it in tsMuxerGUI (by remuxing).
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Cisco 4682DVB appears to be made for use with cable TV service. My guess is that the Cisco 4682DVB encrypts the recordings it makes so they can only be played by the individual unit that made them. Cable TV DVRs tend to do that to prevent recordings from being shared with others who are not subscribers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Yes usually_quiet I hear something similar about that encyption, but must be some hack to avoid that issue.

This is the thing, this evening must somehow record one candid camera from our local TV (my friend punked there) and he say, you MUST record that show

So im allmost victim here, if not do that propper, may listen next 5 years about that from him.

I make test capture with fraps, it look OK. but I think direct on USB will be more quality video, normal I will do both, maybe later find solution to unlock that recording.

If someone know better software like fraps please share information.

A allmost forgot, will try with PuZLeR tip too, and report back what is status.

Thank you for now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by georg1 View Post
    Yes usually_quiet I hear something similar about that encyption, but must be some hack to avoid that issue.
    I've never heard of even one DVR that encrypts what it records but consumers can break the encryption with a program. If unusually_quiet is right, your only solution is to play the recording and record it to a PC via a video capture device. You won't be able to just copy the program to a PC and "fix" it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Now Im a 99.9% is crypted or similar, because I read user manual from our TV provider (not cisco user manual) and say the files will be locked and you can play that file ONLY on device which made record, even same device will not play that video.

Now I just record on the USB key, and got backup

Tomorow will try rec. with fraps on my PC, because I got other option too, each subscriber on this Cable TV provider got option to watch program with software D3go on up to 3 devices like PC, iOS or android, and if I use timeshift I can see that stream next 72 hours.

I try catch that stream with fraps and work but only 60 seconds on free version and is not good picture, will try with some other tomorow virtual dub screen capture is one of option, and action second, but maybe got luck and find out how unlock that file from USB ?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	programs.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	25166  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You know, every time there's a recorder with a USB-out, there's always an issue, whether it's an encryption, proprietary codec, fragmented stream structure, buggy mux, or having that USB as input only, or having to transfer the slow route via ethernet, or having to (re-)capture in real time, etc, etc. I should have known this unit would be no exception.

I even hear tales of people calling their cable companies', and asking about that USB port in the back of their PVR, and they get hung up on.

I was actually thinking of purchasing this unit assuming the solution would be simple, not so much now. I'm disappointed once more.

However, if you like, upload a sample. Hopefully there's some hope that we can figure it out.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Yes true ha ha, allways is something new about this kind of problems.

I make new sample record, for test.

bad file removed from author
    Last edited by georg1; 12th May 2014 at 09:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a reason why it's an executable file? Is that how they're produced from the unit?

Then again, you should upload directly to the site. It's an easier download for viewers, and it better serves as an archive for the long run if anybody lands here in a search in the future.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    O shit, sorry I even not notice that, I think that site make .exe file from my upload file, must be some spam or other shit, I even not download that.

I try upload on videohelp but refuse upload, I will .ziped and than try again.

thank you for that alert !!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to play my own video files (movies) using USB key and Cisco 4682DVB. Is it possible to override USB format request and make your own movies recognized by Cisco so it would act as normal player?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Did you try to use analog ports on your Cisco 4862DVB?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But i want to play digital Avi files on it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    As I know, cable providers are trying to block spreading of signal over one user. It means that they are trying to prevent use of one input for many TVs as it was with analog signal before. If you set digital channel on your receiver box and take out that signal via composite, component, scart or svideo you will get the quality of video close to digital. Only difference is in resolution. It stays as it is in analog.

I am doing the same, but later I make video conversion on my PC using Video ReDO for cutting extra content (as commercials), saving to mpg (still has the best picture quality - crystal picture but size is big). Later, convert this mpg (nothing changed related to FPS, resolution, ) using WINX HD Video Converter Deluxe (find it on torrent) into MKV (the simpliest type, if there is no darkness, and fast and furious action, you wont see the difference to original). I chose MATROSKA VIDEO with libx264 + AC3 codec, audio 48KHZ 256 Bitrate. Video parameters keep same as original. Your video is now 3 times smaller, conversion time is fast. You can do a lot for an evening. I do this with cartoons for my kids.

My problem in future will be if I change my receiver box, to new model Cisco 4862DVB which today has recording protection on all video outs, analog or digital. How to solve this is my task today...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for suggestion. Any conversion from original avi to something else wouldn't make sense for me though. I just want to use device for playing Avi movies i have on computer. Since i cannot i'd need to buy some HDMI video player additionally.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pancolart View Post
    Thank you for suggestion. Any conversion from original avi to something else wouldn't make sense for me though. I just want to use device for playing Avi movies i have on computer. Since i cannot i'd need to buy some HDMI video player additionally.
    A cable box/cable DVR is normally designed to play only the recordings it makes and no other files. You cannot modify them to play your own files.

Yes, you need to buy a media player to play your personal video files.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!