VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ....

I am considering subscribing to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) service, and would like some questions answered, as follows ....

»» VPN Pros

»» VPN Cons

»» Best Available VPN Services

»» Best VPN Pricing Options (Trial and/or Long-Term)

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Video
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 11th May 2014 at 01:30.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings

Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    I use OpenVPN, 100 mb of data transfer free
    https://www.privatetunnel.com/index.php?referral=I2R175OO50
    Worked briefly - but then connections with various ports became unstable. Also, extremely limited number of international options.

One of the issues I currently have is viewing blocked content on YouTube. To give one example, a channel on there called "The Science Foundation" has all 13 episodes of Carl Sagan's Cosmos. Some of them are viewable via London or Sweden, but at least two are blocked on grounds of content, even when viewing outside the USA.

Next suggestion please!

Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 13th May 2014 at 01:39.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If it's just a matter of viewing content blocked in the USA due to exclusivity, a free VPN might do. Like justfreevpn or vpnbook.

I used the above to view the Sochi Olympics (Comcast/NBC had the exclusive) on BBC online. Every now and then the connection got dropped, but it was easy enough to connect to another one. Hey, it was free. Passwords are changed occasionally, so you have to bookmark the free vpn home sites.

Sorry, dunno about pay VPNs. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    If it's just a matter of viewing content blocked in the USA due to exclusivity, a free VPN might do. Like justfreevpn or vpnbook.
    Will try those as suggested. Meanwhile, I've just caught a lucky break on those two blocked Cosmos episodes. Hallelujah!

Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I find this "You Tube videos are blocked" thing to be puzzling. Who is your ISP? Is there any chance they may be doing weird things?

I use Golden Frog for my VPN. It comes free with the Giganews Usenet package I subscribe to. Golden Frog has a ton of VPN city choices around the world. They have maybe 20 or so different cities. You do not have to use Giganews to get Golden Frog, but Golden Frog is a paid service.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

JMAN98

"Blocked Content" on YouTube is something that I think is governed by copyright owners more than by a local ISP. A typical message might read "Blocked by SME" or "Blocked by BMG" or "Blocked by Sony" (or by any all of those, and/or by others). On the official ABBA Vevo video channel, "Gimme Gimme Gimme" can't be viewed in the USA (as far as I know), but is viewable almost anywhere else -- I wish I knew why, because (I assume) it should have the same copyright as do the other ABBA songs on the channel.

Appreciate the info on Golden Frog -- I'll check them out.

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I personally use TunnelBear.

Pros: 500MB Free per month, or $5.00 (US) per Month unlimited data. Discounted yearly plan.
    Connect to or from US, UK, Canada, Germany, Japan, Australia, France, Netherlands and Italy.
    Best of all, its the easiest damn thing to use.
    Good tech support, had an account issue once and they gave me an immediate response and problem solved.

Cons: Only 5 Mb/s so sometimes it can be a little slow for streaming but usually OK.

It is certainly fast enough for downloading region blocked videos for sure.

I use it for BBC iPlayer downloads and it works great here in the US.
    Last edited by Dougster; 24th May 2014 at 01:50.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!