VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

I have a really annoying problem with a video file that I'm trying to play on a Mac. Whenever the video starts playing, it gets to around 11 seconds in and then just completely stops. No audio, no video. The strange thing is, I've tested it out on two separate PCs running Windows and they both play the video from start to finish without any issues. I've used both Quicktime and VLC player on the Mac and the same thing happens with both of them.

Any idea why this might be happening? Any help would be much, much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you contact VLC and see what they say.

Obviously, Apple isn't going to want to help you out with "3rd Party" video codecs. We all know Apple doesn't play well with others. This is just another example.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Once you give us MediaInfo readouts, more of us might be able to get on board...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some details about the Mac you're using might also help.

You might try one of the mplayer-based players, like MPlayerX, see if anything changes.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our mac section.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 9th May 2014 at 03:24.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smallerz View Post
    Any idea why this might be happening? Any help would be much, much appreciated!
    Based on the very tiny amount of information you have provided, all we could do is make wild guesses. It's possible that you downloaded a corrupt file and there is a bad spot in the video where it causes the Mac programs to crash. VLC under OSX has traditionally not been as well maintained as the Windows and Linux versions. I don't like Quicktime or use it much so I can't really say much about how robust it is or isn't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I really hate VLC on Mac. I prefer MPlayerX instead. That one works clser to the way VLC works in Windows and Linux. I never understood why the Mac version of VLC was squirrely like it is.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I really hate VLC on Mac. I prefer MPlayerX instead. That one works clser to the way VLC works in Windows and Linux. I never understood why the Mac version of VLC was squirrely like it is.
    In the past this was specifically because the Mac version of VLC used a different and much older code base than the Windows/Linux version, which I am not sure but I believe used more or less the same code base on both Windows and Linux. Since version 2.0 of VLC came out, the code base for everything is supposed to be identical, but the Mac version still seems to be less well tested. Compiling for Mac comes with its own set of problems/challenges and it may be that VLC simply does the best they can, but they lack Mac gurus interested in helping them to get better.

Want to make VLC crash consistently on a Mac? This trick may work on other operating systems, but I know it works on Mac. Put a VCD in the Mac's drive, start VLC and go to the MPEGAV folder on the VCD and open one of the .DAT files. After it starts playing, go to the time indicator on the bottom of VLC and drag it to any place forward on the video file. VLC will crash every time.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!