+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

SSDs and HDDs will coexist until another technology comes along that can replace both of them. .
    And that 'other technology' - whatever it turns out to be - will not involve spinning discs......it will be solid state......

Until then, the HDDs will slowly fade away and the SSDs will continue to get cheaper, and become more dominant in the market place.

It's called evolution.......
    SSD will get cheaper, but SSDs are special purpose/enthusiast devices. SSDs have a lot of drawbacks for the average user. Many of those who try them soon become disenchanted by said drawbacks, so your prediction that SDDs will become dominant in the market could well be another foolish prediction.

I think it is too soon to say that the replacement technologies for SSDs and HDDs would not contain any moving parts.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th May 2014 at 11:32. Reason: Corrected typo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

so your prediction that HDDs become dominant in the market could well be another foolish prediction.
    I think you probably meant to say SSD and not HDD, but as your logic is so often flawed, it's difficult to be sure?.......

I think it is too soon to say that the replacement technologies for SSDs and HDDs would not contain any moving parts.
    I think I'm on fairly safe ground with that one.....
    Last edited by pippas; 7th Oct 2014 at 19:20.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I do think that introducing moving parts into any SSD replacement would probably be a retrograde step though......
    Last edited by pippas; 7th Oct 2014 at 19:21.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=pippas;2320928]

so your prediction that HDDs become dominant in the market could well be another foolish prediction.
    I think you probably meant to say SDD and not HDD, but as your logic is so often flawed, it's difficult to be sure?.......

I think I'm on fairly safe ground with that one.....
    Yes I meant SSDs, and will correct that. ...but with all the double-talking, evasion, subject changing, and utterly inaccurate statements you have made in the course of this thread, I think I am safe in saying that nobody who reads your remarks is going mistake you for a logician or someone with any expertise in the technologies being discussed.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th May 2014 at 11:35.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Yes I meant SSDs, will correct that. ...but will all the double-talking, evasion, subject changing, and utterly inaccurate statements you have made in the course of this thread, I think I am safe in saying that nobody who reads your remarks is going mistake you for a logician or someone with any level of expertise in the technologies being discussed.
    Ah good.. just wanted to be sure. As you continue to prefer to concentrate most of the content of your posts on personal abuse, I do have some difficulty in identifying which bits you are intending to put forward as serious technical comments, and which are just intended to be abusive?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I meant SSDs, will correct that. ...but will all the double-talking, evasion, subject changing, and utterly inaccurate statements you have made in the course of this thread, I think I am safe in saying that nobody who reads your remarks is going mistake you for a logician or someone with any level of expertise in the technologies being discussed.
    Ah good.. just wanted to be sure. As you continue to prefer to concentrate most of the content of your posts on personal abuse, I do have some difficulty in identifying which bits you are intending to put forward as serious technical comments, and which are just intended to be abusive?
    You have directed personal abuse and criticism at me, at Cornucopia, and Lordsmurf in the course of this thread, but now complain about getting some in return. I guess I can add being a hypocrite to the list of your personal failings.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You have directed personal abuse and criticism at me, at Cornucopia, and Lordsmurf in the course of this thread, but now complain about getting some in return. I guess I can add being a hypocrite to the list of your personal failings.
    Nope, couldn't find any useful technical comments at all in that one?....I'll keep looking.....
    Last edited by pippas; 11th May 2014 at 12:07.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm done. You are much better at insulting people than I am.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, couldn't find any useful technical comments at all in that one?....I'll keep looking.....
    That's not a question. It seems your UK schooling is just as pathetic as American schooling is.

For those keeping score at home, that is me for the grammar win and you for the grammar loss.

At this point it's hard to think of you as anything more than a troll.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    That's not a question. It seems your UK schooling is just as pathetic as American schooling is.

For those keeping score at home, that is me for the grammar win and you for the grammar loss.

At this point it's hard to think of you as anything more than a troll.
    Yes, it is a question.... I couldn't find any technical comment in that post, but maybe it was something that I'd missed? I was asking the question.

Sorry you feel that this is a 'point scoring' exercise...... and I'm not at all sure what the 'troll' comment is for? (Yes, that's a question too!).

But thanks again for not swearing....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course spinning discs will survive for a while yet. Examples of those going right back 100 years or more are still found in whole variety of 'niche' markets, so modern optical discs probably have a while to go yet.
    Clarify. What is 100 years old still in niche use in relation to this topic? (Paper?)

But, as a mainstream format I would guess the time is probably shorter than many folk expect. Certainly shorter than Sony expected, or they wouldn't have invested so much cash in Blu-ray.....
    Doubtful. It has at least another 5 years left in the format, possibly 10. We're at least 5 in already, which means it has staying power. Nothing better exists yet, not even in R&D form. Solid state was the future, but it's not working as desired. None of the devices or even the media itself is cooperating for the longevity or pricing required for physical media. The idea that it will be downloads is also a fail, because of the piss-poor infrastructure in USA. Europe and Asia may go more online, as their speeds are not garbage. But that doesn't affect the physical media.

Trivia: I encode Blu-ray spec MPEG-2 to HDD, for my personal projects. It's viewable "raw" video data, easily authored to BD, and easily transcoded to DVD. I wish this had existed a decade ago. We just didn't have what was needed back then.

As for the change from HDD to SDD?.... Again, inevitable .. no one will want to manufacture mechanical devices to read spinning discs for any longer than they have to. Time scale?... that of course is the $64,000 question... but it will happen.
    They don't *want* to use spinning disks now. None of us *want* noisy/hot drives. I know I don't. But none of us have a choice. And no, SSD is NOT a wise choice. That's just reality.

Thus far, SSD is a failure. Yes, it's faster, yes it uses less power (not like anybody honestly cares about that part). But with speed comes sacrifice of the data. HDD crashes are really rare these days, but I cannot say the same for SSD -- even for ones that are new! And when SSD is lost, it's 100% loss. With HDD, at least there's a chance of recovering it. (I had to use Kroll in 2009, to the price tag of $1300, but it was 99%+ recovery.) The main users of SSD do so in tandem with "spinning disks" in a daily backup (Idera, mostly).

Note: Stop writing SDD. SSD, two S one D = solid-state drive/device/disk. It's hard to take people seriously when they can't even get the terminology/jargon correct.

Right now, one of the best drives are the enterprise drives with SSD caching. That may be where SSD has to be relegated long-term, until another tech with better stability is figured out. I wanted SSD too, but it's too unreliable.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Clarify. What is 100 years old still in niche use in relation to this topic? (Paper?)
    It depends on your definition of 'niche' of course, but if you include restoration as a niche market (as I can imagine you might ) then this could well quaify:
    http://newsdesk.si.edu/factsheets/early-sound-recording-collection-and-sound-recovery-project
    An extreme example perhaps, but it does illustrate just how long spinning discs have been in use..... and how they're unlikely to disappear completely, anytime soon.
    But as a mainstream - or primary - format I'm merely suggesting their time may be less than originally envisaged.

Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Note: Stop writing SDD. SSD, two S one D = solid-state drive/device/disk. It's hard to take people seriously when they can't even get the terminology/jargon correct.
    My apologies -- silly typo(s) on my part! .
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!