VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. We are looking to upgrade an old Optiplex with XP to a newer computer running Windows 7 for our store register system, which runs Microsoft RMS. I'm looking for an i5 system, preferably pre-built per the boss. I was looking at another Optiplex 3020. However, it seems Dell has gone back to the days of proprietary connectors on their PSU among other things. I need a recommendation for something decent that has standard parts. The computer is left running 24/7. We use it as the register and for light office work. Any input is appreciated. I usually build my own but I can't do that and hit the price point he's looking for. The Dell was running about $530 the last time I checked but price is flexible.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My sister recently bought an HP so I looked at the motherboard before she bought it. The power connections appear to be standard for an MATX motherboard. I have no idea if there could be anything else that would make the PSU proprietary other than that there is no power switch and the cables will be the right length for that model with very few spare connections. The standard version of the HP Pavillion 500-205t has an i3-4130 and Windows 7 Home but there is an option to get Windows 7 Pro and an i5 instead if you order from HP and customize

Specification: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c04094754&cc=ph&dlc=en&lc=en#N98
    Motherboard http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03885123&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en#N506
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th May 2014 at 11:29.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the input. The Dell evidently has removed redundant grounds wires from the cabling and uses a non standard connection to the mobo. Then all the peripherals are routed from power ports on the board instead of plugging directly into the PSU, which is very odd. The only thing I really liked about the dell was having an SAS HDD at that price point.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    Thanks for the input. The Dell evidently has removed redundant grounds wires from the cabling and uses a non standard connection to the mobo. Then all the peripherals are routed from power ports on the board instead of plugging directly into the PSU, which is very odd. The only thing I really liked about the dell was having an SAS HDD at that price point.
    I agree that this is a very peculiar way to do things, but it pretty much guarantees people will have to obtain a PSU from Dell or buy a new PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might try: http://www.gcworkshop.com/index.html

I have purchased several custom builds from them (the last one has a now obsolete 2100T i3 processor etc. and got a max of 20 Watts at idle - much better that the 100 Watts of the previous core2 duo and also 3x as fast)

They allow complete customization and do complete assembly and testing. You could do a bit better by shopping for the same parts elsewhere but you would have to assemble them yourself.
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote  
  6. I appreciate all the input. I could build it my self if I could make it as cost effective. Believe me, I tried. We ended up settling on a Lenovo M73. It still has standard connections, three years on site support and all the specs we needed for a couple hundred less than I could build it. I haven't dealt with Lenovo much in the past, but the reputation still seems to be good.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I see a lot of Lenovo systems in doctors offices. They are apparently popular for commercial use. I assume you have a redundant back up system for the files.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yep everything is backed up to image nightly on a separate drive. The boss wouldn't spring for a complete backup system though. This is a 5 person family owned business, of which I'm not family, just the doer of many things, which coincidentally seems to be my job title these days.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well unlucky me, I just found out the Lenovo also now uses a proprietary psu just like Dell. This is despite support claiming they have standard PSUs before ordering. At least there is now a readily available adapter to run a 24 pin connection into the 14 pin the Lenovo uses. I still haven't found one of these for the Dell's yet. I guess from now on I'm just telling the Boss that he'll have to suck up the cost difference and just let me build what we need. Of course I also just found out nobody told the owner we were spending his money on a new computer anyway. Family businesses have too many bosses.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!