VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With the free Vidcoder 1.5.22 or later can you burn in / hardcode subtitles from external srt files and convert to mp4 or mkv. It might be useful for playing video on devices that doesn't support external/switchable subtitles.

Software
    VidCoder 1.5.26 beta or later
    VidCoder 1.5.26 portable version beta or later

Guide
    Install VidCoder
    Open your video files under Choose a video source: Video file.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vidcoder1.png
Views:	234832
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	24985

Under Subtitles choose Edit:

Name:	vidcoder2.png
Views:	233672
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	24986

Import .srt file.
    Click on Burn In.

Name:	vidcoder3.png
Views:	231104
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	24988

Select the Output folder.
    Select Preset, like iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8 etc.
    Encode!

Name:	vidcoder4.png
Views:	229226
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	24989

Wait

Name:	vidcoder5.png
Views:	228549
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	24987

Done!

Name:	vlc.png
Views:	229199
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	24992

More settings
    Click on the Encoding: Settings button to adjust video resolution/frame size, output file size, etc
    Example how to set the output file size to 20MB. (Smaller file size = lower quality...)

Name:	vidcoder6.png
Views:	229535
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	24990

Problems
    You can't adjust the font settings. But you can use Subtitle Edit to change the color in your srt subtitle, In Subtitle Edit open the srt, Mark all (Ctrl+A). Right click and select Color. Save as a new srt. Import in Vidcoder.

You could also make .ass subtitles with custom font styles. But you must mux them with your video first:
    In subtitle edit, open srt, under Format choose: Advanced Sub Station Alpha, select all(CTRL-A) lines, right click and choose Advanced Sub Station Alpha styles. Edit the font, color, background(Select the Opaque box under Border). Save as new .ass.
    Last get Mkvtoolnixgui, add your video file, add the .ass, start muxing a new mkv. Open the mkv in VidCoder. Click on Subtitles Edit and it should list the subtitle directly. Click burn In.

Last edited by Baldrick; 8th Feb 2016 at 13:21. Reason: updated with font color settings
    Quote Quote  
  2. A long missed feature of HandBrake/Vidcoder to be able to harcode SRT subtitles.

So I tried 1.5.22 beta using two source files MP4/h.264/AAC, MKV/h.264/AC3 using UTF8 encoded SRT files on Windows Vista but alas had 3 chrases on each.

Guess I'll have to wait untill it gets out off beta.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    utf8 encoding problem?

You can post bug reports/issues over at http://vidcoder.codeplex.com/workitem/list/basic
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just made 3 test with ANSI encoding. Still chrasing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does it work without hardcoding subs? Maybe some other problem with the beta version.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It turns out that the problem was settings for audio. Changed from "Passthrough" to AC3 and hardcoded both UTF8 as well as ANSI.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting program and exactly what i was looking for, thanks Baldrick

its basically a Handbreak clone, very similar options and layout and all i needed was a program as good as that which could also hardcode srt subs so this here does the trick. Before finding VidCoder had been at the noob mercy of Any Video Converter which doesnt encode video well at all, but has a couple good subtitle hardcoding features like reposition, resize and customize fonts which'd be a great upgrade for this. Default subs dont look too bad tho
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have latest versions of VidCoder and Handbrake. I prefer to use VidCoder for its more appealing simple look. But both programs don't allow hardcoding. If old VidCoder had it what happened? I'm assuming since VidCoder is based on Handbrake, I'm assuming HB took the feature out first. Does anyone know the back story to this?

AVS Video Converter and Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate also do hardcoding. The catch is with AVS, you need to have a video with softsubs. I don't think it allows browsing for an .srt file. Xilisoft doesn't have the much needed copy input format setting for the video size. You have to choose predetermined aspect ratio settings which can skew the ouput file if it doesn't conform. When subtitles are involved, I do notice the quality of the output suffering a bit. Also both of these paid programs are much slower than VidCoder.
    Can anybody recommend any alternatives?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using vidcoder 1.5.22 beta? Version 1.4 does not support it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Are you using vidcoder 1.5.22 beta? Version 1.4 does not support it.
    My bad, I missunderstood. I assumed that 1.5.22 beta was an older version, I did not realize that I have 1.4. In that case my problems are over assuming the beta is stable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick works nicely - I downloaded the portable version so it doesn't mess with the earlier stable version. See attached image
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2014-06-24-15h00m28s1.jpg
Views:	1910
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	25907  

SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hello mates..I need help ASAP..In what form do i preset the subs in order to play in my tv?it's a Sony Bravia..i use VidCoder 1.4.23 portable 64-bit..Thanx
    Quote Quote  
  13. Worked great. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    Used this feature as well, works great!
    Quote Quote  
  15. It doesnt hardcode. When I uplouded the file in a Bulgarian site for video share the subs didn't showed up. Which means this software does NOT hardcode. Any tips? Sorry for bad english.....
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it does. Are you using version 1.5.23 or later? And clicked burn in?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yes it does. And just tried audio passthrough with vers 1.5.26 (x64) with succes (see previous posts).
    Quote Quote  
  18. If VidCoder is a front-end of Handbrake, how could it burn-in srt subs while handbrake can not?

I can not understand this.

And yet, it works. Good Job guys. I am using 1.5.27 beta (64), and the result is very close to what I expected. It just miss the font setting. If I can choose the font type, size, color and outline color, that would be perfect.

Now the subtitle is white (OK), with black outline (OK, too). But, it is too small, using Arial (?) and has black shadow.

I'll see if I can submit a request for this setting for future release.

Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by dapidc; 20th Nov 2014 at 22:47.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    this is a wonderful piece of software!! thanks!
    it's exactly what i was looking for ... an extended handbrake i mean, handbrake is so good that it would have felt lame to use other decoders ...
    plus, to add another round of decoding!! whereas handbrake can be used with the lossless avi !!

i really wanted to hardcode some subtitles - at the best possible quality ... so, i was very happy to find this post!
    thank you

PS:
    it works perfectly, hardcodes the srt subtitles ... and all this at handbrake encoding sophistication and quality ...
    Quote Quote  
  20. I have a problem with this software, i dont know why
    I did everything like you did, and most of the legends are okay, but some senteces, there misses words or letters inside the words for intance let's say the sentence is "Hi there, How have you been?" and in the movie it appears "Hi thr, Hw haveyou b"
    Alredy tried 2 times and it happened again...
    And went to the str file, and everythings alright, there the sentences are fine

Another thing is I can only try to make a movie one time, than if I dont restart the pc, it gets me errors
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dfxdark View Post
    I have a problem with this software, i dont know why
    I did everything like you did, and most of the legends are okay, but some senteces, there misses words or letters inside the words for intance let's say the sentence is "Hi there, How have you been?" and in the movie it appears "Hi thr, Hw haveyou b"
    Alredy tried 2 times and it happened again...
    And went to the str file, and everythings alright, there the sentences are fine

Another thing is I can only try to make a movie one time, than if I dont restart the pc, it gets me errors
    Latest vidcoder?
    Have you tried change your srt files to unicode encoding? or to ascii? Try edit the srt with a subtitle edit or an text editor and change encoding type.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What if I want all sub from a MKv file? I have a Phil-wife, and I speak Danish, so we have more than 1 lang. here...
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Weyhe View Post
    What if I want all sub from a MKv file? I have a Phil-wife, and I speak Danish, so we have more than 1 lang. here...
    You can only burn in / hardcode one subtitle.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IT eta says 12 goddarned hours!
    i cant wait that long :'O
    Please help me hardcode subtitles in an easy way!
    I REALLY wanna watch my movies :'/
    please help me
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try change to Constant quality under Video->Quality and under Preset choose Ultra fast.

Or try hardcode with other converters like freemake video converter(Adware!!).
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry bro , i dint notice this before.
    i apologize for my neglect.
    You ROCK bro!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Is there any way to force the subtitle position? it's almost on the middle of the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the latest version of vidcoder and I can get it to embed the subtitles but it doesn't have any audio. It does before I embed the srt but it doesn't after. Any help is greatly appreciated

Got it to work, not sure what I was doing wrong the first time
    Last edited by slaughtersr; 7th Feb 2015 at 21:17. Reason: it's working
    Quote Quote  
  29. Guys, I'm in need of some help here - I have an MP4 file and a separate SRT file. I need to hardcode the subs in for streaming.

I've verified that the subs work when playing on a local media player with sub file selected.

But no matter what I do, running VidCoder 1.5.26.0 or even 2.5.0.0, no subs are being written into the new output MP4.

Any suggestions on what could be the issue? And how to fix?
    Quote Quote  
  30. @Zeggo
    Perhaps attach the srt together with MediaInfo (View -> Text) for the MP4 file to a post.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!