VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Time Warner is completing their transition to an all digital lineup in June. They told me I'll either have to rent one of their DVRs or buy a TIVO if I want to record anything. Is this true? Aren't there any other options. I've had TW boxes in the past and they keep going up in price every other month.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No change in price here in the last nine months (at least yet), and I don't know of anyone now who watches strictly/mainly OTA rebroadcast on basic analog cable. So I guess I don't see what the big deal is.
    I mean, we all voted in the representatives that we did, over and over again, regardless of the fact that they have consistently turned around and sided with big media: analog sunset, dcma, no must-carry, no rebroadcast oversight, more monopolies, homeland security policing of movie theatres, no net neutrality... we got what we asked for, right?
    Might be a little too late to be worrying about closing the barn doors once the horse has ridden away, though.

I'm sympathetic, but that is how the game is played now.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What other options do you think might exist? Rent a DVR from your TV provider and TIVO have pretty much been it for years now in the USA.

All the cable TV providers suck to varying degrees. If you are lucky enough to live in a big metro area you may actually have 2 cable providers so you could always go with a competitor in such cases, but you'll probably have the same situation even if the other provider keeps the costs the same each month.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Cablecard + Ceton InfiniTV or SiliconDust HD Homerun Prime + Windows Media Center might be an option.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I realize Cornucopia that this wonderful govt. of ours is just a boot licking toady for special interests. I guess that's why many of my fellow Libertarians are openly rooting for it's overthrow.
    Last edited by jacatone; 7th May 2014 at 22:43.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jacatone View Post
    I realize Cornucopia that this wonderful govt. of ours is just a boot licking toady for special interests. I guess that's why many of my fellow Libertarians are openly rooting to overthrow it.
    You have my pity in that you actually think that's an answer.

Be warned - you have now dangerously moved this thread into realms (political discussions) that violate our terms of service. Be VERY careful what you say next as you may find this thread closed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jacatone View Post
    Time Warner is completing their transition to an all digital lineup in June. They told me I'll either have to rent one of their DVRs or buy a TIVO if I want to record anything. Is this true? Aren't there any other options. I've had TW boxes in the past and they keep going up in price every other month.
    These are the other options:

This is the most convenient option, but sometimes not easy to set up:
    CableCARD (rented from your provider) + Windows 7's Media Center + CableCARD Tuner (as suggested by jagabo )

This is a little less convenient, and moderately difficult to set up:
    Cable Box + Windows 7's Media Center + capture device in the Hauppauge HD PVR product line + IR Receiver IR Blaster
    Cable Box + Windows 7's Media Center + TV card with analog tuning or analog capture + IR Receiver IR Blaster

This is the least convenient, but the easiest to set up:
    Cable box + Magnavox DVD recorder with a hard drive

The problem is that a DVD recorder can't change channels on the digital cable box. Sometimes the digital cable box can be programmed to change channels, but this depends on the cable box and your provider.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th May 2014 at 13:02.
    Quote Quote  
  8. How does this "Cable box + Magnavox DVD recorder with a hard drive" work? Does it need the cable card from TW? I wish there was a YouTube video or something to explain how this thing is setup. TW told me there are 3rd party devices that'll allow me to record their programming without a DVR.
    Last edited by jacatone; 8th May 2014 at 16:51.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!