VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I had super 8 films transferred to uncompressed avi files. The size of a 3m20s file is about 750 MB.

I would like to cut them, put a simple title at the beginning of each file and compress them is something more usable.

Could someone advise me in what format should I convert those files, which settings and what software to use.

Thanks a lot.

Details of the file:

ID : 0
    Format : DV
    Commercial name : DVCPRO
    Codec ID : dvsd
    Codec ID/Hint : Sony
    Duration : 3mn 22s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 24.4 Mbps
    Encoded bit rate : 28.8 Mbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Original display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Bottom Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.357
    Time code of first frame : 03:06:16:17
    Time code source : Subcode time code
    Stream size : 695 MiB (95%)

There is no audio on my original Super 8
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I hate to break it to you, but those files ARE compressed. With DV compression (~5.5:1, compared to uncompressed 4:2:2 YUV, or ~8.25:1 compared to uncompressed 4:4:4 RGB).

Any decent NLE, even WMM, should be able to do what you are asking with those files. For economical but powerful, I would recommend Sony Movie Studio.

Your choice of what format to convert to should be driven by what works best for your existing or near future hardware, though avc/aac in mp4 is a safe common bet these days.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    If you want to use an AviSynth based converter (like StaxRip or MeGUI), they will probably be able to read the DV video content using the FFMS2 or L-SMASH Works plugin; or you can install any DV VfW codec (e.g. ffdshow, enabling DV in its VFW Configuration of the decoder) to be able to convert it with most VfW compatible converters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    If you want to use an AviSynth based converter (like StaxRip or MeGUI), they will probably be able to read the DV video content using the FFMS2 or L-SMASH Works plugin; or you can install any DV VfW codec (e.g. ffdshow, enabling DV in its VFW Configuration of the decoder) to be able to convert it with most VfW compatible converters.
    Using a bulldozer to crack an egg.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Well, many other tools will support VfW. Installing a DV codec will probably enable them to read DV video streams in an AVI container.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, many other tools will support VfW. Installing a DV codec will probably enable them to read DV video streams in an AVI container.
    Where did he ever say he/his computer could not read them? Du konntest in deutscher Sprache reden, und er würde dich mehr verstehen.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    @Cornucopia
    Thanks for the info. I will use the movie studio.
    I have tried a simple converter but the quality of the converted file was bad. I had to change the bitrate 10000 to get a correct quality but the file size was almost the same. Is there another setting that I missed?

My computer read the file correctly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Something that you missed? Probably, but I wouldn't know what that might be at this casual a glance. GIGO.

IOW, I would need much more info, particularly a detailed MediaInfo text readout of the source AND target files. Maybe even direct clips.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    OK, most usual issue is that someone is unable to read a source format...

So, let me try a different approach ... which target format is more compatible? — Probably DVD Video. DV is certainly interlaced, Bottom Field First; was the original Super8 video too? That should be detected with certainty before setting up an MPEG2 encoder (e.g. HC) if you decide to author a simple DVD (with e.g. IfoEdit or GUI for DVDAuthor ...).

An MP4 with AVC video stream is more efficient, though. But I am not sure if playback of interlaced AVC is very compatible on different consumer players.
    Quote Quote  
  10. ...
    Last edited by smrpix; 5th May 2014 at 14:08.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Using a bulldozer to crack an egg.
    ?? If I was going to convert it, I'd use MeGUI.

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Where did he ever say he/his computer could not read them?
    How does his computer read them? DirectShow, VFW, a self contained media player etc? Even if "his computer can read them" how does it guarantee every conversion program can?
    My computer can decode AC3 audio, but VirtualDub refuses to acknowledge AC3 exists until I install the VirtualDub AC3 plugin.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Throwing a kitchen sink full of big words at the newbie........again.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Load that DV vide into Sony Vegas, as you did, set project to DV PAL, cut it, add those titles if you want, and export it again as DV avi. Render As/ Video for Windows/PAL DV. This you can archive also, because export is the same as original (except those parts with title added).

Then you export it again in Vegas into mp4, as you say, so it is more usable, but your Vegas will most likely not let you export interlace mp4, like original, with proper aspect ratio. I don't think you can set PAL DV avi aspect ratio for mp4 (in your Vegas, but I could be wrong).

You probably have to export to mp4 Render As/MainConcept mpeg4 and frame rate 25p - setting field order to none, check if there is such a thing like PAL square pixel in frame size setting. 25p is not that fluent as your source 25i .

Or you try to manually type 50p for frame rate, that video would be much more fluent, but the trouble is, I'm not sure if that Vegas Studio will export 50p, probably not.

Export to mpeg2, MainConcept mpeg2, it will let you set 25i, so video will be fluent, there is special template for you video format - DVD PAL template, export mpg.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for the advices and sorry for the late reply. I was quite busy before I could return to those videos projects.

I started to use Vegas but I got so confused with all the options and couldn't get a file a correct file. (either too big file or with a visual loss of quality compared to the original). So I only used Vegas to insert titles.

I finally used Movie Maker to convert the files and removing the sound. The result seems correct.
    I have converted the file to MP4 using H264.

However, I would like to ask some advice:

The original file is 720 x 576 p. I have kept the same. But is it better to increase the resolution while keeping the aspect ratio?

For the debit, I used 8000Kbits/s. Is it ok?

I used 29.97 frame per second. The original file was 25fps. Is it not better to use the original one?

If you have any comments regarding other settings, please let me know

Below is the converted file details. In my first post, at the top of this page, there are the details of the original file.

Thank you.

Complete name : D:\Convert\Converted12.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    File size : 164 MiB
    Duration : 3mn 2s
    Overall bit rate : 7 563 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2014-05-20 04:16:54
    Tagged date : UTC 2014-05-20 04:16:54

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Baseline@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=60
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 3mn 2s
    Source duration : 3mn 2s
    Bit rate : 7 562 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 5:4
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.608
    Stream size : 164 MiB (100%)
    Source stream size : 164 MiB (100%)
    Encoded date : UTC 2014-05-20 04:16:54
    Tagged date : UTC 2014-05-20 04:16:54
    mdhd_Duration : 182315
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!