VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

I have a weird problem when i am doing VHS capture to DVD recorder. I can see color video when i connect the yellow and white line to TV (the VHS only has yellow and white outputs) however when i connect to my DVD recorder, it just shows black and white video. Did anyone encounter this problem? Thanks a lot!

Ollie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got that issue with old VHS tapes (recorded in SECAM and tape >20 years old).

But it can be the recorder which does not accept some tape signal combination (only PAL input). Or if you can select the input signal type (PAL, NTSC, SECAM or Black and White), maybe there's something to check within the recorder menu. You didn't give enough details about your ref. materials
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's a PAL vs. NTSC issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, a PAL/NTSC issue is my first guess too.

Another reason, just maybe, you may have put composite/RCA cables into component slots that your DVR may also have. Check also that you're connecting composite/RCA into composite/RCA inputs.

Also make sure the cable you're using for video (typically the yellow) is connected to video on both ends and audio (usually red/white) are into equivalent audio slots. If you're using mono, make sure the same wire (such as white in your case) is in equivalent slot on both ends. Either red or white can work here, but make sure it's the same one on both ends.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The VHS is a Panasonic NV-SJ200 providing it's a multisystem with all format playback. The DVD recorder is said to be PAL/NTSC playback. So i am just wondering if the DVD recorder can automatically adapt to different systems. BTW I also try to capture with PC via an "easycap" device. No matter i change the input source to PAL or NTSC, the video is still B&W. that's really a bit trouble.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hong Kong is officially listed as a PAL country, so you are trying to capture an NTSC tape?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olliewong View Post
    The VHS is a Panasonic NV-SJ200 providing it's a multisystem with all format playback. The DVD recorder is said to be PAL/NTSC playback. So i am just wondering if the DVD recorder can automatically adapt to different systems. BTW I also try to capture with PC via an "easycap" device. No matter i change the input source to PAL or NTSC, the video is still B&W. that's really a bit trouble.
    Most multisystem VCRs output a PAL 60 signal when playing NTSC tapes. PAL 60 uses the original NTSC line standard (525) and frame rate (59.94 fields per second) with PAL 4.43 MHz color added to the signal. No DVD recorder can capture that signal correctly, and relatively few analog capture devices have a PAL 60 setting available.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Flashandpan007, I have found out the remote to change the source to be ntsc source and now it works perfect
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!