VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If you Google "whats my ip", you can find out what is your ip address. I've been doing this and noticed that my ip number changes every few days. I don't turn off the computer or router.
    My question is: why does my ip keep changing? What could be bad/ good things about this happening? One thing comes to mind. If I was banned from a looking at a website (based on ip), a different ip would allow me to access the website.
    Another thing that comes to mind. Maybe another person (who was banned) had this ip address before I got it, and now I have an ip address that is banned. I don't see the purpose of " recycling" ip addresses. It's a little bit like changing your telephone number every few days.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could call your ISP and ask them,
    they're responsible for the IP address allocation.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on your isp

Some charge more for static address's

Static ip is helpful if you need to connect to a remote system, share files.

There are utilities and some modems/routers which support emailing out the change in ip should it occur.

The banned ip address is not common issue, simply turn off the dhcp device and wait 5 minutes and you should acquire a different ip address ... I do this to avoid 220 and 155 networks on the 3g/4g wireless bigpond network cause there absolute rubbish.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Does your router lose connection with your ISP much? Every time I turn my router off and switch it on again I'm using a different IP address, but it only happens if the router is disconnected from my ISP for some reason. As long as the connection is continuous, I'm pretty sure the IP address isn't changed.

One ISP where I am assigns static IP address and I'm pretty sure charges for an IP address change, or charges extra for dynamic IP address. The ISP I use assigns dynamic IP addresses and I think they charge extra for a static address. I don't really know why different ISPs do it differently.

A static IP address is probably only useful for the average person if you're running a server, when you'd want to the "phone number" to be static, but most ISPs seems to ban running servers in their terms and conditions anyway. A static IP address might be useful for internet gaming in some circumstances.... I'm not really sure. For general internet use (surfing etc) it doesn't matter if your "phone number" changes all the time because you're the one making the "phone calls".
    It'd possibly be harder for people to track your internet usage if your IP address keeps changing, because only your ISP would know who's using a particular IP address at any given time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    ... I do this to avoid 220 and 155 networks on the 3g/4g wireless bigpond network cause there absolute rubbish.
    So there are people who still use Telstra.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yea - more crap from my buddy, jimdagys. Dynamic IP address allocation has been going on for decades now. You're just NOW waking up to this? ISPs give out dynamic IP addresses because they actually use fewer addresses that way. Some customers may be on vacation, for example, and have their computers turned off. Such people don't get an IP address. It also allows the company to charge extra for people who want a static IP address. Most home users have no need for a static IP.

What kind of websites exactly do you visit where people get "banned" anyway? What kind of weird stuff are you into? People who ban others from their websites may not necessarily do it by IP address. It may be more efficient to ban by IP address ranges, for exactly the reason you specified - if they care enough to ban they want to be sure that the banned person didn't just get a new IP address because it's Tuesday and - bam! - Mr. Banned is now Mr. I'm Back. Maybe in the circles of depravity you travel in this is a great concern, but this whole thread is just more typical nonsense from you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Yea - more crap from my buddy, jimdagys. Dynamic IP address allocation has been going on for decades now. You're just NOW waking up to this? ISPs give out dynamic IP addresses because they actually use fewer addresses that way. Some customers may be on vacation, for example, and have their computers turned off. Such people don't get an IP address. It also allows the company to charge extra for people who want a static IP address. Most home users have no need for a static IP.

What kind of websites exactly do you visit where people get "banned" anyway? What kind of weird stuff are you into? People who ban others from their websites may not necessarily do it by IP address. It may be more efficient to ban by IP address ranges, for exactly the reason you specified - if they care enough to ban they want to be sure that the banned person didn't just get a new IP address because it's Tuesday and - bam! - Mr. Banned is now Mr. I'm Back. Maybe in the circles of depravity you travel in this is a great concern, but this whole thread is just more typical nonsense from you.
    Actually, judging from this stupid thread ...

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364314-Question-how-to-snoop-URLs-of-company-trying...59#post2319459

... I'm inclined to agree with you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Getting banned by a website doesn't mean you are into anything weird. I was on a college football forum a few years ago where lots of members were cheering a particular act of violence that killed someone. I spoke up about how nobody has the right of violence or harm etc.. and then next day I have a temporary ban. Well I didn't go back to that site after that, so it didn't matter. But someone else may have wished to continue posting there.

So just because you are banned from a website doesn't mean that you are a weird or bad person.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Maybe in the circles of depravity you travel in this is a great concern,
    lol Lol LOL
    Quote Quote  
  10. No, Jimdagys is in China and the Chinese government bans certain ip's. Don't you remember the hype about China banning Google and other sites?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  11. Getting back to the original post... I often depends on your ISP and your type of Internet service.

I have use a cable ISP. My IP address changes about once a year or so. The address won't change if I take my modem offline or reboot it. Many of the DSL based services assign a new IP address every few days or whenever your modem is restarted.
    Quote Quote  
  12. It may be more efficient to ban by IP address ranges, for exactly the reason you specified - if they care enough to ban they want to be sure that the banned person didn't just get a new IP address because it's Tuesday and - bam! - Mr. Banned is now Mr. I'm Back.
    Well, that's interesting. In fact I was swiftly banned permanently from a certain famous website that is related to getting files. I don't think it was my fault- but ... there was something very odd going on by the website.

I notice my ip number change is sometimes to a new number similar to the old one, but sometimes to a completely different number. But always, the old/new number relates back to the city I live (as checked in ip look up). So the whole city could be banned.
    Does your router lose connection with your ISP much?
    The router/computer is not losing power. If it momentarily disconnects from the internet, I don't know.
    Last edited by jimdagys; 5th May 2014 at 20:04.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    It's a little bit like changing your telephone number every few days.
    How do you figure ?
    It's not a little bit like, it's NOTHING like!!

Is someone trying to call your PC every day ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    No, Jimdagys is in China and the Chinese government bans certain ip's. Don't you remember the hype about China banning Google and other sites?
    I believe he said some time ago that he is no longer in China.

It raises the question of whether a government interested in banning would allow someone to talk freely about such banning.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!