VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,

I've been browsing the internet for some hours now and I didn't find any solutions.

I'm want to use Adobe Premiere to edit some Video Clips but they are in .mkv so I tried out different converters and video formats. The result was always the same: the quality loss was clearly visible, so I tried out muxing.

I used MKVCleaver to make the files into AVI, but even though the Video was still working with VLC Player, Adobe Premiere said it is a damaged file. With MKVmerge I tried different formats which I knew were working with Premiere, but it had the same result. After that, I tried "MP4 Box" to mux the h264 file I got from the demuxing with MKVCleaver, into an AVI file and now the file was being accepted by Premiere, but it had some major graphical bugs, when I used it in Premiere (again perfectly fine when played on VLC Player).

I don't know much about converting or muxing so I don't know what could possibly be causing those problems. Before I assume that it's about Premiere or the original mkv files, I would like to know, if there are any other solutions like other programs I could try or other possible methods I don't know of yet. For example, is there a programm that converts h264 into AVI, MOV, MP4, WMV? I also don't need the sound file of the original video files, if that is helping.

Thanks in advance
    milkyway
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by milkyway50 View Post
    ...so I don't know what could possibly be causing those problems
    Apparently Premiere doesn't accept whatever is inside the containers you're trying out. Just changing from MP4 to MKV to AVI won't make it any more likely to want to work with it. You could start by providing the text info from MediaInfo. That way we'd at least know what you have and might be able to suggest an editor for you.

Before I assume that it's about Premiere or the original mkv files...
    It's about MKV and whatever kind of video is inside (AVC/H264?).

For example, is there a program that converts h264 into AVI, MOV, MP4, WMV?
    Lots but, again, those are only containers for video and audio. You could help yourself by reading in your manual about what kinds of audio and video Premiere supports.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the fast answer,

I checked which formats Premiere accepts and avi, mp4, mov, wmv are included (Link to their website http://helpx.adobe.com/de/premiere-pro/using/transferring-importing-files.html). I tried other Files with those formats and they always work. Only the mkv files that I muxed to avi, mp4, wmv weren't accepted. The exact quote was "the file is either damaged or has the wrong format" and the format can't be the problem.

I checked the mkv files with MediaInfo and it seems like the Video format is actually AVC, even though I thought it was h264 (maybe that's what causes all these problems?). I uploaded the MediaInfo text, if you want to take a look at it.

Just to make things a little bit more clear: All the Video files I want to use are mkv with the same properties as described in the text file. I just tried out different formats that I knew Premiere would accept but it didn't work.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the second thread where someone has mentioned corrupt files after being processed with MKVToolNix, what exact version are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just installed it today and I used the Link on this site. Version 6.9.1
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try TSMuxer on the original MKV, although it's possible the problem is in the original stream, I don't know of anything that will test that.

recap:
    Abode won't take MKV
    you've tried re-encoding it to other formats but... re-encoding has consequences
    so you're trying to remux them into another container Abode WILL take.
    Abode complains about anything extracted with MKVExtract, even though VLC will play it fine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It's H.264. Maybe try MkvToMp4 and see if you can open the result.
    Quote Quote  
  8. 10bit AVC , Adobe won't be able to unless it uses AVC intra profile (which that video doesn't)

You have to re-encode . If you use a lossless codec, you won't lose quality (but huge filesizes)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    10bit AVC , Adobe won't be able to unless it uses AVC intra profile (which that video doesn't)

You have to re-encode . If you use a lossless codec, you won't lose quality (but huge filesizes)
    So it actually depends on the video being AVC or h264 and not just on the format/container?
    Huge filesizes are not really a problem but when I used converters, there were always big graphic bugs in the video even though the file was already 5 times bigger than the original. So I don't know if that is working.

Try TSMuxer on the original MKV, although it's possible the problem is in the original stream, I don't know of anything that will test that.
    I actually tried that one as well, just forgot to mention it. Same problems.

It's H.264. Maybe try MkvToMp4 and see if you can open the result.
    I'm sorry if I don't understand but isn't it AVC? I think it's just somewhere in the file description where it says it's h264 which I assumed is wrong, after I read the MediaInfo Text.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVC, H.264 and MPEG4 Part 10 are all the same codec, the name just depends on which standard your looking at.

Your file is encoded as 10-bit AVC/H.264/MPEG4 Part 10, whereas the norm is 8-bit so adobe won't read it.

Re-read PDR's post.

-edit- It's also called ISO sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    AVC, H.264 and MPEG4 Part 10 are all the same codec, the name just depends on which standard your looking at.

Your file is encoded as 10-bit AVC/H.264/MPEG4 Part 10, whereas the norm is 8-bit so adobe won't read it.

Re-read PDR's post.

-edit- It's also called ISO sometimes.
    What is the difference between converting and re-encoding? It doesn't sound like it's easy to re-encode videos or are there programs for that?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No difference really, converting means changing from one format to another, which, if you're just converting the container may or may not entail a re-encode. Re-encoding is more specific, it means decoding, then encoding it again from one codec to... well, another generally, but it's possible to re-encode from one codec to the same codec at the same settings.

VirtualDub will save as lossless, as will anything that uses X264 if you use CRF0. I'm not sure what adobe will take though.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    No difference really, converting means changing from one format to another, which, if you're just converting the container may or may not entail a re-encode. Re-encoding is more specific, it means decoding, then encoding it again from one codec to... well, another generally, but it's possible to re-encode from one codec to the same codec at the same settings.

VirtualDub will save as lossless, as will anything that uses X264 if you use CRF0. I'm not sure what adobe will take though.
    I see, that explains a lot. I got to go for now, I'm gonna try out if I get it to work later and post here again afterwards. Thanks for the help so far.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!