VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    Currently, I am trying to write a code that takes Mp4 video files and can create gifs from it. I am doing it just for fun.
    I was wondering how on a MP4 file format I can extract the following information:

1. Width/Height of the video file
    2. RBC Color Space
    3. Image JIF

I am not sure if this is the right place for the thread but it is worth a shot to see what people think.
    Quote Quote  
  2. MP4 file format specification preview:

http://webstore.iec.ch/preview/info_isoiec14496-14%7Bed1.0%7Den.pdf

The full document costs about US$100.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by bat999; 18th May 2014 at 08:32.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I believe MediaInfo will even return only specific values if you use special command line options. I just don't know right now where to find the table...

Another chance will be tools in the GPAC package, like MP4Box.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Define code?

The mediainfo dll is free, and simple enough that even I can access it... Assuming you're using an actual Programming Language and not a script.

-edit- How will you be decoding the images? I doubt you'll be writing your own codecs... DirectShow, or whatever it's called now-a-days?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    To be able to read a video frame, you may possibly use libav libraries in your application. They contain functions to open the MP4 container, read attributes, and decode the contained video stream. I wonder if ffmpeg can already do most of the desired functionality. At least it will be able to extract frames to images, I just doubt it will write (animated?) GIFs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I hope you aren't doing this to just re-invent the wheel, because Virtualdub - with an MP4 input plugin - can already output to GIFs.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!