VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox 29 Doesn't have a Bookmark This Page in the Bookmark menu. It seems you click the star next to the bookmark menu to place in the recently bookmarked menu and transfer to the bookmark menu. Or am I missing something.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just bouncing around looking at a few forums seeking info on this new release and almost all posts don't like the new look. Looks like another software catering to the touch crowd.
    Sorry I haven't downloaded it so can't answer your specific question about the bookmarks but if they took that "Bookmark this Page" away that would be a bummer. Looking at the Mozilla home page it says this version is highly customizable so maybe there is a way to add it back.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, you have to click on the star icon (there may be something in the about:config settings that brings the option back to the Bookmarks menu). Then your bookmark goes into the Unsorted list. I don't understand how they think these sorts of things are improvements.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use the add-on "Classic Theme restorer" to get my tabs back on the bottom and a few other fixes. The bookmark menu item is where it always was in the dropdown menu but I don't remember if it was ever lost or if the add-on fixed it.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I still have the "Bookmark This Page" in Firefox 29.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Firefox ESR 24.5.0,better than using addons to retain features which Mozilla discard without regard to us in the regular Firefox.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hudsonf View Post
    I still have the "Bookmark This Page" in Firefox 29.
    Yep, in the right click menu, but that is not what the OP is talking about.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm considering reverting to the previous version... I've got to locate the executable first though.

You can right click on the empty blue space at the top and select menu bar.
    From there, all the old functionality can be found.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now my navigation buttons have dis-appeared. New is not better in this case. Too many people with nothing to do dreaming up "improvements"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a lot of complaints on the official Mozilla forums also. A bunch of users complaining about the
    fact that FF looks like like Chrome now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still wondering why they think it's a good idea to remove the bottom (status) bar. I may never update past v26, at this rate.

davexnet: Try here for past Firefox releases: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I switched to Pale Moon when I saw what was coming with Australis. Classic Theme Restorer was the only other option I considered, but I've been pleased with Pale Moon, and the developers say they will not switch to the newer look even when the next ESR version is released.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found a full install 16.0.2 on my data HD. Installed it and disabled auto update feature.
    Quote Quote  
  14. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    New is not better in this case. Too many people with nothing to do dreaming up "improvements"
    And that's an old trend already:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/333196-Firefox-4-thoughts-and-impressions-so-far?p=...=1#post2066858 ,

three years ago
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Maybe we are talking about something different. All I know is if I left click (not right click) on Bookmarks, a drop down box comes up where I can select Bookmark This Page. I have no star to click on anywhere on my browser.
    Last edited by hudsonf; 3rd May 2014 at 23:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Maybe we are talking about something different. All I know is if I left click (not right click) on Bookmarks, a drop down box comes up where I can select Bookmark This Page. I have no star to click on anywhere on my browser.
    Point 1: Like me you have the "Menu Bar" checked on.

Point 2: Not sure if you know this but if you want to add a star (bookmark this page) or other icons from a selection group you just right click on the menu bar and choose customize... You can then left click and hold any tool icon and drag it over and drop it to an open area on the left or right of the menus on the bar (or most other bars if you so choose).
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Found this page, incidentally, for an attempt to restore the previous interface: How to change the new Firefox Australis looks
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I'm considering reverting to the previous version...
    I sympathize but a web browser is one thing I'd want top keep up to date. Security and all.

FF29 STINKS. I hate the interface. WTF were they thinking?

My biggest issue is that the zoom buttons take a ridiculous amount of space, and you can't change it. One of many issues I have.

This is a program that takes a large amount of memory and keeps getting slower. Not good.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Too many people with nothing to do dreaming up "improvements"
    actually it's the exact opposite. the firefox developers get salaries and if they want to keep their jobs they have to be able to show that they are producing work, if they stopped developing firefox after they reached a point where everyone liked it then they would be out of work.

it reminds me of a civics professor i once had that used to say "when you pay people to make up rules and regulations, then they will make up rules and regulations, even if they make no sense at all and no one wants them".

this basic mantra applies to all jobs that really have very little long term viability, in the case of developers once you code something and iron out the bugs there's really no reason for a company to keep you on the payroll, unless of course you can show that there are some improvements that can be done down the road.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    Too many people with nothing to do dreaming up "improvements"
    actually it's the exact opposite. the firefox developers get salaries and if they want to keep their jobs they have to be able to show that they are producing work
    How is that the exact opposite? It's the exact same thing.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My old Firefox is in tact using FF 30 beta1. Use Noia-Fox and Classic theme Restorer to configure to your liking. Some addons will help. My only non functioning extension is Noise 1.4. The author claims it works on his system but, it does not work on mine. No big Deal!! Don't cry, just try! See screens with extensions
    See screens and extensions in the following post
    Last edited by pepegot1; 4th May 2014 at 17:19. Reason: add screens
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox 30 beta1
    screens and extensions. Note: no hamberger icon. Get rid of it with:

#PanelUI-button{
    display: none
    }

added to userchrome.css
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ext1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	24942  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ext2.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	24943  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ext3.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	24944  

Last edited by pepegot1; 4th May 2014 at 17:29.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    I switched to Pale Moon....
    Just switched to Pale Moon on Ubuntu Studio 14.04...

A few clicks...and all my settings were transfered from my Firefox profile to the new Pale Moon install.

Ahhhhhh...happiness!
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'll be trying Pale Moon later. I hadn't heard of it until I'd read this thread. If my extensions work I'll probably give Firefox the flick. If I wanted to use Chrome, I'd be using Chrome.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I like FireFox 29.o the interface is cleaner and I've wanted rounded tabs that integrate well for a long time. For those complaining that it's like another touch device, that is because it is derived from FireFox for Windows8 which was abandoned by Mozilla. My UI looks cleaner and I can get things done quicker without navigating around icons as I see some of your FireFox UI.
    Quote Quote  
  26. In what way do the rounded tabs integrate better than the old ones?
    Quote Quote  
  27. I speak in defence of 29 too. I use both Linux and Win XP (I won't be 'upgrading') and find it pleasant and easy to use. If anything, it puts the onus on the user to be better organised. Click the star to 'grab' the bookmark and it immediately highlights the bookmarks menu. If you create sub-folders for the different categories of web pages then drag the new bookmark from 'unsorted' to the folder it makes it really easy to locate pages quickly. I have approximately 500 bookmarks in 20 different folders. For example, this and other forum web sites are all in my 'Forums' folder, programming stuff is in another folder and so on.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    In what way do the rounded tabs integrate better than the old ones?
    Aerodynamic.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I recently switched to Pale Moon, and I won't be looking back. Used their migration tool, and all my settings and extensions came over from Firefox 28.0 without a hitch. Mozilla can keep their "improved" UI; I'll stick with a browser that lets me decide how I want it to look and act.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Let me repeat what I said in another post:

OK, I just tried Pale Moon on Win7 -64. The good: Much faster loading of web pages than Firefox. Videos seem to be loaded faster. The bad: Unable to migrate my Firefox stuff (hundreds of bookmarks, addons, etc...to Pale Moon. (That alone is a bummer and will turn most Firefox lovers off.) Pale Moon offers a special script download to do the transfer but it just hangs with the following error message: "Script is running too long, do you want to terminate?" Also my password handler doesn't work with Pale Moon. Maybe that can be solved but I have to dig up a way to enable it before using Pale Moon for certain secure sites.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!