VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

Have discovered that the motherboard on my desktop PC -- a BIOSTAR TA790GXE-v6.1 -- does not have an available Windows-7 compatible USB driver. Without such a driver, no more than one or two USB devices can be connected at one time. And any type of USB hub device, powered or otherwise, doesn't work.

Are there alternative 3rd party drivers that I could try? If yes, where can such drivers be found and downloaded with unnecessary hassle (like having to pay or register for things you don't need).

ALSO - Suppose I were to install a PCI card with USB ports on it? Would the card have its own software and work independently of the pre-installed USB ports??

UPDATE -- Have been told by local computer store tech that because of possible damage to at least one USB port (I have six -- 2 front, 4 rear -- and one of the front ones is no good) a shorting out of USB function may be occuring. This can be fixed they say.
    I am ordering the PCI add-on card which should provide relief.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Video
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 3rd May 2014 at 17:41.
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frank-0-Video View Post
    Suppose I were to install a PCI card with USB ports on it? Would the card have its own software and work independently of the pre-installed USB ports??
    Well.... greetings!!
    That would be your best bet. That main board is an ancient one, and at best of times badly-written drivers are already the norm, let alone anyone writing for windoze 7 for that. The card you intend to get should have drivers specifically written for windoze 7. Two most important things come together in a card: the chipset used and the manufacturer. There are combinations all over the place, and you can check most online sites that sell them and what users have to say. For example, I have had so-so to downright pukey experiences with vantec cards, so i avoid that.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The standard usb driver from Windows 7 should be working..
    Did you install the chipset driver from the biostar website? without them usb can't work properly..
    The usb driver listed at the biostar website is only for windows xp or before so you don't need them and you shouldn't install them!
    Here is the website link: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=454#dl
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

Have discovered that the motherboard on my desktop PC -- a BIOSTAR TA790GXE-v6.1 -- does not have an available Windows-7 compatible USB driver. Without such a driver, no more than one or two USB devices can be connected at one time. And any type of USB hub device, powered or otherwise, doesn't work.

Are there alternative 3rd party drivers that I could try? If yes, where can such drivers be found and downloaded with unnecessary hassle (like having to pay or register for things you don't need).

ALSO - Suppose I were to install a PCI card with USB ports on it? Would the card have its own software and work independently of the pre-installed USB ports??

I looked at a few USB 2.0 PCI add-on cards with 4 external ports, and those that stated they had Windows 7 support were all plug and play for Windows 7, which means Windows 7 provides the drivers. These have 4 external ports and one internal connection. The Startech card allows either a type A or pin header to be used for the internal connection, and according to one review worked well for someone who lost the use of their motherboard's internal USB connections after installing Windows 7.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166002
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166014
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158220
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe that motherboard is just a POS. I'm running Win 7 64 bit on a Gigabyte motherboard and I've never had that kind of issue. I know that comment doesn't help fix the immediate problem, but after reading the other thread the OP started on this issue, I for sure would NEVER buy Biostar.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Maybe that motherboard is just a POS. I'm running Win 7 64 bit on a Gigabyte motherboard and I've never had that kind of issue. I know that comment doesn't help fix the immediate problem, but after reading the other thread the OP started on this issue, I for sure would NEVER buy Biostar.
    The motherboard isn't the issue -- the lack of a proper WIN-7 compatible driver for the USB ports is. I've looked at some (but not all) of the other Mobo's that BIOSTAR offers but so far haven't seen one with a WIN-7 compatible USB driver. Really unusual, as they have WIN-7 compatible software for just about everything else.

I'll definitely try out the USB PCI card option, as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to add on.

While I think of it, would some kind of hardware conflict -- or maybe certain combinations of breaker switch settings -- cause this type of problem???

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the first driver you always need to install no matter what is the chipset driver. if there is no usb driver for win7 i'd assume that m.s. has them somewhere. what you can try is to set updates to receive drivers and hardware updates like windows updates. then go to device manager and uninstall all the usb devices and reboot to let windows "find" them again and see if it locates better drivers.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    The motherboard isn't the issue -- the lack of a proper WIN-7 compatible driver for the USB ports is. I've looked at some (but not all) of the other Mobo's that BIOSTAR offers but so far haven't seen one with a WIN-7 compatible USB driver. Really unusual, as they have WIN-7 compatible software for just about everything else.

I'll definitely try out the USB PCI card option, as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to add on.

While I think of it, would some kind of hardware conflict -- or maybe certain combinations of breaker switch settings -- cause this type of problem???

Did you install the Windows 7 drivers for other devices on the motherboard from the link for the TA790GXE-v6.1 motherboard that was provided to you? If you don't have the latest chipset drivers, installing them might prove helpful.

Oh, never mind aedipuss beat me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The generic usb drivers are always installed in any motherboard for usb1&2 in windows 7,sounds like your motherboard has hardware problems with the usb.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's a rather interesting argument. So you're basically saying the motherboard is not a POS, but the company failing to have drivers is the issue. Potato-Pohtahto, man, potato-pohtahto. You're screwed either way unless the chipset driver suggestion fixes the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    this is what my motherboard has for usb drivers listed. might have been generic before i installed the inf chipset drivers, i didn't look.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-03_125802.png
Views:	377
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	24923

[edit] weird i swear i saw the same pic i uploaded in jmans post a little while ago.
    Last edited by aedipuss; 3rd May 2014 at 14:03.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The generic usb drivers are always installed in any motherboard for usb1&2 in windows 7,sounds like your motherboard has hardware problems with the usb.
    That's pretty much what I'm thinking...
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!