I didn't know where to post this as I'm not sure if it's a software or hardware issue...
I've been using Freemake Video Converter to shrink and convert DVDs/Blu-rays to mkv so I can store them on an external HDD and watch them either via the TV's USB port or through my WD TV Live player. I realise it's not the best software, but it suits my needs and is simple to use.
This was working fine yesterday, but today, every time I've tried to use Freemake, it crashes after only a few minutes and closes. It doesn't matter what source video I try to convert or whether I try to convert to mkv or mp4 (these are the only output formats I've tried at the moment) it crashes.
Yesterday I installed a USB 3.0 PCI-e expansion card on my PC, but I used Freemake fine after the installation to convert one video, but just to be sure I've uninstalled the card (and physically removed it) and the drivers and done a system restore. I've tried an older version of the software but it still crashes.
I've been told in the past that software doesn't just break - if something stops working and there's been no changes to the program, it's because of something external to the software. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. But because of the USB expansion card I installed, I'm wondering if I've done something? Also, because I've tried different versions of Freemake and both these crashed, that can't be a coincidence, can it?
Any suggestions/advice? Much appreciated,
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Last edited by roma_turok; 2nd May 2014 at 23:04.
I was more concerned that I've done something to the PC by installing the USB card, though. Despite the fact that I uninstalled it and did a system restore - I thought it might "fix" the issue I was having.
Update: I think I've got it working again:
After uninstalling Freemake Video Converter I realised that there are some files/folders that need to be removed manually (profiles, etc.) I deleted these folders and re-installed the latest version and I've also re-installed my USB card.
I've just tried 2 different videos (not whole videos, just small sections of them to test) and both have completed successfully. I'll try a full video and see how that goes, but I think it'll be fine.
I guess there was something in one of the folders that I needed to delete that was messing with the conversion.
Thanks to roma_turok, though for the alternative suggestions
Thanks for the tip, VidCoder is definitely on my list of software to try.
Update: still having trouble with Freemake, but I used VidCoder and it worked. Freemake just doesn't seem to like some of the videos I've tested with. VidCoder took a bit longer to get through, but I'm still working out the best settings that suit my needs. Thanks for the suggestions.
Last edited by snoop85; 3rd May 2014 at 17:05. Reason: Updated info