VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

I have no clue what might be wrong, so here goes:

This is the original vid (720x576), as shown in VLC.

Now let's say I want this in 800 width, and without black bands, so put up filters in VirtualDubMod, which give this:

But this after recode with Xvid encoder, plays like this in VLC:

Why? Why, in god's name, doesn't it play like the image on the right in VirtualDubMod?
    I realize that everything to do with video on computer is a complete mess, and obviously the WYSIWYG-idea is also out the door, but really, why is it so difficult to actually get what you want? Why do you have to become a friggin' expert, only to do the most basic things?

Sorry for ranting, but honestly...

So, anyone an idea? TIA for any feedback!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Specify the pixel aspect ratio or display aspect ratio in the Xvid config. It looks like you have 16:9 DAR or 4:3 PAL PAR. Or use square pixels and resize to a 16:9 frame size.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/322346-same-resolution-but-difference-in-display-w-...=1#post1995959
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st May 2014 at 18:21.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Specify the pixel aspect ratio or display aspect ratio in the Xvid config. It looks like you have 16:9 DAR or 4:3 PAL PAR. Or use square pixels and resize to a 16:9 frame size.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/322346-same-resolution-but-difference-in-display-w-...=1#post1995959
    Thanks for the reply, and the link. I looked a bit more into this and found this guide, which starts with the sentence "There is a fair number of mind-blowing, scary oddities and secrets in the world of digital video".
    After reading this article I stand fully by my rant ...
    Quote Quote  
  4. The easiest way to deal with it is this: First resize to a frame aspect ratio that matches the display aspect ratio of your source. For PAL DVD and broadcast the display aspect ratio is usually 4:3 or 16:9. So resize the 720x576 frame to 768x576 (4:3) or 1024x576 (16:9). Then crop away the black bars and encode as square pixel, PAR = 1:1.

Although VLC is displaying that video 5:4 I suspect it supposed to be 4:3, with a letterboxed 16:9 source.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd May 2014 at 07:00.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!