VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    wondering if there's software that allows you to copy a cd or dvd which might be corrupted onto your hard drive? If you use conventional software, it tries to read the disc according to the data type (wav, mp3, mpeg, etc), and will stall at corrupt points.
    My impression of stand-alone duplicators is they just copy whatever is on a disc including corrupt areas.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    all the tower duplicators i've used in the past - and currently, still balk on bad/corrupted discs. they won't do a simple pass through.

But if it's a corrupted disc, i've had some success with roadkill unstoppable copier, phoenix data recover and iso buster to recover the data.

you can try imgburn or a similar program to make an iso image, that might work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try ImgBurn. Go to Tools -> Settings -> Read, turn on "Ignore Read Errors", and set Software and Hardware Retries to zero. Then read ISO, write ISO.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the advice. What if I wanted the files (vob, or wav or mp3 from cd) separated instead of an ISO? Or is that when copying would be a problem?
    Btw, I've gotten corrupted video dvds from people who used duplicators because their PCs couldnt copy the corrupted disc. That's why I thought duplicators did just that- duplicate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It comes down to the drives themselves ... some are better at dealing with bad sectors ... lg's and liteon's do well
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Copiers weren't built to deal with bad discs, just good masters. They succeed when the master is good, and stall if the master is bad. They DO NOT pass along bad copies (unless the badness is within the file already).
    If you have a bad disc, as mentioned, you rip&repair (on a regular PC, using something like ISOBuster) to ISO/Folders and Image/burn a new, clean master (ImgBurn). Then dupe that.
    Want to work on individual files, rip/extract to folders. Then work on the files like you do any other file on your PC.

Corrupted videos that were duplicated were probably badly encoded/authored to begin with.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!