VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Previous thread for this video: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360757-Urgent-editing-circles-within-circles

--

http://youtu.be/7MPVHgqwveQ

I'm trying to edit this video so that it can be run on an endless loop, so that the forest returns instead of the blackness at the end. At first, I duplicated the full track and put it over the end of the original track.

But then I thought, wouldn't it be easier if I just took the ending and overlaid that onto the beginning? To get a repeatable clip, then all I'd have to do is cut the end off at the moment *just* before the blackness comes into view. (Hope this makes sense!)

So I've tried that, and matched up the keyframes:

Although the sizing matches up for the second keyframe, beforehand it doesn't (I'm not sure about afterwards because the footage in Pre-comp 1 doesn't last long enough to be able to tell, I'm going to have to repeat it to the point where Track 1 [the overlaid one] decreases out of view)

I've tried rendering this part to show you, but it takes too long. And I'm doing a RAM preview, but that's taking a while as well.

In the meantime, this is an early test version, unrelated to the timeline above, that shows what I want to do:

http://youtu.be/U2islTLijBs

TL,DR: I want this video to loop, but when I match up the beginning and end, the circle sizes don't match.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Add a second instance of the event and reverse it. Then create your loop somewhere else where it lines up better. Or some variation of that.

Not everything can be looped.

When I make particle loops it's the same problem unless I can reverse back somewhere. But that doesn't always work out either. Has to be choreographed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Why reverse it? And the loop needs to be at the start/end to get rid of the "Ever Decreasing Circles"/black I think.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    Why reverse it?
    The point where it reverses would be "seamless". Then you have more choices on the two loose ends to find another place to join.

This may not be what you want, but there is no magic bullet for this. That's all I can do myself, other than a blend.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Oh dear, two posts in and I'm already confused! :P

If I reverse it, the circles get bigger, no?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The keyframe intervals are equal, so in theory it should work, but IIRC, that wasn't the case when I was making it in first place, and it was slowing down and all that!

I guess I will just have to try and keyframe the whole thing so it matches up.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Hmm, yes the timing seems to be completely off. The ending with the black lasts longer than it takes for the forest to come in at the start! So I could speed up the ending to fit, but that would mean it will suddenly speed up around the 2:13 mark.

I might as well try it, it might not be very noticeable...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I forgot what your project was. Bad advice. Strike that from the record.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Gah. So I managed to do it. I duplicated the ending of the sequence (the pre-comp/aka static version) and put that into the pre-comp (pre-compception ) over the beginning, then scaled it down to about 0.034% or something so that it fits in the middle of the black hole at the start. If you don't remember, I have it scaling down (from 500000% or something ridiculous) with continuous rasterization on.

So that's good, but problem is... the point where the looping segment ends is the frame before the "blackness" comes into view.

In the original video, the speed that the "blackness" comes in is faster than the speed the forest comes in at the start.

So you get this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVHXHJ4aZFo

A perfect match up, but a slight slowdown. Trying to work out the easiest way I can fix that without slowing down the footage.

I have the scaling keyframes w/auto bezier interpolation... all that to play with... I can manipulate that easy without having to re-render anything...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A-Ha. So that's a good thing, no?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Well apart from I have no idea how to sort it and I'm fed up with editing it already!

I could speed up the part after the join slightly (join is just before 0:03 btw) but that would mean the guy walking across speeds up.

Ah ok so... I could... change the first keyframe from 5000000 to 4800000 or something, so that it speeds up but the actual images dont. Trial and error. Oh, how I love it!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Hmm, second thoughts, I would have to change the second keyframe, not the first. Cos then they won't match up

So, make the second keyframe scale a tad smaller, so that it speeds up. It wouldn't have to be much. Grr, but how can I test it without rendering each time? RAM preview gonna take ages.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I tried rendering a 20 second sample as a PNG sequence... 5 hrs 27 mins to go, what?!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    I got it to work great, just plonked it into Premiere with all the sound effects/music… I have a long task ahead of me getting the beginning and end to sync up properly. For one, there isn't a neat point for me to cut the music at the end, there's a beat just before it needs to cut!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm flabbergasted, and mortified, that Premiere does not allow realtime playback.

In VegasPro, you simply create a selection and let it loop a few times and it will eventually playback in realtime. Vegas will "build out" (in ram) whatever fX or speed changes, just for that selection.

Have you tried cutting out the first few seconds and pasting to the end? Then looping that to get the right timing? Then delete it. All you need to see is just that section together.

Or subclipping 10 secs from the start and end, take them to another track, line up the transition, then paste them back?

In VegasPro, the music becomes "Elastique", in that it can be stretched without pitch change. Premiere doesn't have that either?

I've seen animations on Broadcast that don't loop properly. There's a judder or you can see the blend. I doubt any casual viewers would notice stuff like that.
    Last edited by budwzr; 4th May 2014 at 20:11.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    What are you on about? :P Premiere does have realtime playback!

I rendered it in After Effects, I've got a looping clip that I've put into Premiere, it's just the audio I've got to sort now.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    This is how it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRlgC7lXUb8

The music doesn't match up neatly, so I might have to move it around a bit, which is a shame cos it'll make it out of sync, there's specific parts that work well with the visuals.

The sound effects are easy to sort, I'll just take the loud cars/seagulls from "END" and put them over "START".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can help out with the audio. What do you want to do?

Oh, you're using AE. Not familiar with that. I use HitFilm (AE Clone).

EDIT: I just listened to the audio. I can't do anything if you overdubbed and flattened it. It'll have to be remastered from the separate "session tapes". Do you have all the parts?
    Last edited by budwzr; 4th May 2014 at 21:35.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Oh dear oh dear Bud, it's not as complicated as you're making out :P

It's just simple: the music doesn't naturally end where I want it to. So I'm gonna have to chop it up aren't I…

Cut out the beginning maybe where it's just the simple melody (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MPVHgqwveQ - first 29 seconds) , and repeat that, instead of including where it builds up half way through (1:25).

Of course I have all the parts! I'm using Premiere, there's separate tracks with the sound effects on and then one for the music.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    So, what I need is… from 0:02 to 2:15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MPVHgqwveQ

Basically, a 2:13 section of that music that can be repeated.

The part I'd need you to help with is taking Signal the Captain and getting a 2:13 section that is as close to how it is in the video as possible. By this time tomorrow, ha!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    I guess what would be ideal is if you take the Signal the Captain track (0:01/2 in the video is the beginning of the track)… take the first 2:13/14 of that and fix the ending so that by the ending, it returns to the simple few notes just as it begins? So when it repeats, it's seamless, rather than AUDIO OVERLOAD to SIMPLE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whew! How can I get a handle on this so quickly? Give it to me step by step in one post.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Find Signal the Captain (you have it already?), cut it to the first 2:14, and see if you can manipulate it so that the beginning and end can join up without it sounding abrupt.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Ok, I've pretty much cracked it. It turns out, at 2:19, the music reverts to the same as how it starts. It means I just need to fill those extra 5 seconds with some footage and it will seamlessly match up.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAQgzjJWqxg

And if you notice, up to 0:20 it's a bit faster than usual, I had to do that to get the first frame to match the last frame. I can slow it down now, and hopefully it'll last 5 seconds - so it'll look better *and* fill the missing gap!

Only problem with that, if I slow it down, the graininess of the forest will be more obvious - that shot of the leaves is REALLY grainy.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Et voila! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXw2cPTJA8

I don't know if you can tell, but from 0:11 to 0:47 is where I've slowed the video down in Premiere - does it look judder to you? It's gone from 24fps to 30fps cos of YouTube so you might not be able to tell.

I think I'm gonna do that slowdown in After Effects, that way it'll just be the footage that's slowed and the rotation won't be as juddery.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I have vertigo from watching that.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Nice to know!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Are there any media players that are good for looping?

I've tried to do it with QuickTime and VLC. With QT, the audio dips out and it stutters before it restarts. With VLC, it stutters and shows the filename.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought you did it already? Most any audio editor can create loops. To loop a sound, create a selection around it and turn on repeat.

Sound Forge works well. Get the free trial.

I got a bunch of hunny-do's all of a sudden. Be back monianna.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    *facepalm*

Yeah I've done it, but for *video playback*, I need a media player that will loop it without the join being noticeable.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!