VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks,

I have searched this Forum and many other sites, but I have Not seen an answer to my Q ...

I like to Mux my Subs with my Video for playback on my Standalone ... so, I use MKVToolnix to mux the MP4 video and SRT subtitle together ... BUT when I Compare my Output MKV file with the Original MP4 file, the MP4 file looks Better than the MKV file ... even though I have not Converted or Encoded anything ...

Q1: Why do I get a tad different MKV file output?

Q2: How to fix this Issue/Problem?

Q3: Would a different tool other than MKVToolnix give me a Better output file?

Thanks,

G!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How are you comparing the mp4 to mkv?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    If you are running two media players at the same time, be aware that only one of them is able to use the "Hardware Overlay" renderer; this can have a different setup compared to all other renderers (e.g. TV/PC range of luminance and chrominance, brightness/contrast/saturation tweaks etc.).

It is guaranteed that mkvmerge will not change the contained video stream inside the container. Both original MP4 and copied MKV will contain the same video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi johns0 and LigH.de,

I do the Comparison by opening the Original MP4 and my new MKV files with VLC ... side by side and look at screenshot that has big Facial Shot ... and I look for the Details ... and it seems to My Eyes that MKV one will have slightly distorted it ... I mean Very Minimal ... but I guess I am being super Picky ... also, it seems that AR might have so extremely small changed ... even though the Numbers are the same ...

Now, with LigH.de explanation and me not being an Expert in Application ... just an End-User and still a Newbie ... that might be it ... So, I have to open each one Separately ... but then I won't be able to Compare them.

Thanks both of you for Your Help!

G!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No need to compare them since they are the same video files in different containers,the only thing you need to do is test the file itself to see if it plays on your computer or other device,what i do to test a mkv is open it with tsmuxer and if opens it with no complaints other then it not reading pgs files.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!