VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've recently started ripping blu-ray's that I own. In MakeMKV there are normally two audio tracks. one is DD at 48000 sample and the other is plmc at 48000. How do I know which one is commentary and which one is just audio? If I rip both, sometimes commentary is the default audio and I don't know how to change the settings in the MKV bin.

Same question, but with subtitles.

Thanks for advice, this forum has been excellent in helping me thus far.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forgot to mention that sometimes there are identical sized titles, the full movie size. One is commentary, the other isn't. Is there a ready way to determine this?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    bump for some love.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can set up MakeMKV to get VLC to play a Blu Ray, or you can just watch the output MKV, the ONLY way to know what each audio track contains is to listen to it. If you need to know what's in a subtitle track, the best way is to rip the MKV, extract the Subtitle with MKVExtract and load it into Subextractor or similar. If the wrong audio is being chosen by default you need to change the MKV tracks' 'default' property using MKVPropEdit or MMG's Header Editor, so that the correct track owns the flag. If you want to set the changes within MakeMKV, you'll have to enter the preferences popup and set it to 'expert mode', that will enable a properties box for each track, if you select 'MKV Flags' from the dropdown box, you can add the letter 'd' to the audio track you want to be the default. If you need to remove a track or would like to reorganise them into a specific order you need to remux the file using MMG, or from MakeMKV, select the 'Order Weight', the default is 90, smaller (lighter) numbers float and will be put higher in the order in the output MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, when I use MakeMKV and pull the correct title, audio and subs. One of two things happens or both depending on the file.

When I open the file on my computer in VLC, it doesn't start playing. I have to hit the play button. How do I set the mkv file to auto play in the application it is opened in? Second thing that happens is half way through playback the mkv stuttered then completely froze. I have an i7, 8gb system with plenty of resources. For the most part I just open the movie in MakeMKV select the title, audio, and sub and go. So I don't understand why I have to select the play button in vlc, after double clicking on the mkv, which opens vlc. More irritating is that the movie studders or freezes during playback.

Any advice as to what I'm doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, MKVextract, and MKVmerge are excellent. And completely helped with the first question. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmmm, the only reason I know of that the files wouldn't start automatically is if 'Autostart' was unchecked in 'Advanced Preferences'/'PlayList'.

It's also possible the file is corrupt, which header settings did you alter?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never touched the headers. Took a look and there are none. Is that bad? also, I cannot find Advanced Preferences. I'm in MKVMerge. Where should I look for it? Also, I poked around in MKVExtract, which will help with things down the line, but MKVMerge was excellent for taking out subtitles, and audio tracks.. or just re-ordering them and their default flags.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, 'Tools'/'Preferences'/'Show Settings [ALL]'/'PlayList'/'AutoStart' in VLC.

I'm not sure what you mean by MKVMerge or MKVExtract, they're command line tools. I'm assuming MKVMerge is MMG but unless you've downloaded MKVCleaver or MKVExtractGUI, poking around can only mean looking through the help files...?

Are your files playing up before or after you reprocess them with MKVToolNix?
    Last edited by ndjamena; 3rd May 2014 at 10:17.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the GUI for the extractor as I'm not solid on cmd line programs yet. Mkvmerge is also a GUI.

The files play successfully after using makemkv, and have the issues afterwards. The only thing I am altering the the audio and sub defaults that were set my make mkv.

Sorry for the confusion here. Autostart is selected in VLC and works fine with every other file.

Literally I'm making two changes and mixing the file.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you setting the default flag for the original audio to 'no'?

Are you sure it's just the 'Default track' flag that you're modifying and not 'Default Duration'?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The original audio I have as no and re-ordered to position 2 because it didn't sound good. That one was PLMC. The one I moved to first position, the dolby digital one, I set the default flag to yes. Think that could be whats messing up playback?

I appreciate all your help ndjamena.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Um, I THINK you mean PCM, which being lossless and assuming it contains the same sound track really ought to sound BETTER than the dolby digital track, unless you have a fetish for audio compression artefacts (or unless one is surround and the other is stereo).

HOW did you re-order them? You didn't touch the track number did you?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I tried three things, each making it worse. 1 I changed the default from pcm to DD. That didn't work. 2 I move pcm to position 2 and DD to position 1. 3 I simply removed pcm and put DD at position 1.

I take it from your question that I made it far worse. Can I ASSUME that whenever I see pcm, that's always the audio track I want for great quality, and just cut out the rest (in makemkv or afterwards in MKVMerge GUI). This may just solve my problems. And I'll have to re-rip the movies.

What I want is to rip the full file size of the movie, with the most playable audio track (on blu-ray players and my computer) that also has the options to have subs. I know how to change subs always on to only on when I select them (by setting default flag from yes to default in mkvmerge GUI). Maybe I'm confused about how to set the audio track to default.

At first I was transferring all english audio tracks then using mkvmerge GUI to cut out the ones I didn't need. So what I will try to do when I get off work is rip a movie with the specific audio channel. By playing each track through vlc. Unless you have a pretty good guide, like when you see pcm or DD 48k always use that....

Does any of this make sense?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, nothing you're describing should cause any playback problems AT ALL.

If you edited Track Number with the header editor, that WOULD cause problems as it doesn't change the track references in the rest of the file, but it sounds like you're just using MKVMerge to rearrange the tracks which should be fool proof.

I think you need to try to play the files with other players first, 'cause something is not right here.

(Guides for choosing audio tracks would be kind of useless, as DVDs and Blu Rays are all unique and could contain anything, however, PCM, TrueHD and DTS-MA are all lossless and should be the first ones to keep, then DTS-HRA, then DTS, and finally Dolby Digital (AC3) would have the least quality. There are a few more that you'll rarely see and won't find any free decoders for, but ultimately you need to consider the playback device when you choose audio codecs and speaker setups as well.)
    Quote Quote  
  16. You do it backwards, kind of, you put it together and then trying to re-arrange it in some way. You better mux it correctly in the first place.
    Tools like Clown_BD would demux streams, then you check the streams out, and then you load MKVmerge and load streams in order you want.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Experimenting for a different thread I encountered the 'Not Starting In VLC' thing trying to play an in progress encode that had yet to be finalised. I'm wondering now if maybe you accidently aborted the remux, tried to play it before the mux was finished or if MKVMERGE exited with an error you didn't notice.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!