VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video Files in DivX format play fine from USB Flash Drive in Media Player and can be stopped and paused but not fast forwarded as this freezes the display and a further press of FF control on player resets or stops the video .

This does not occur when playing the file on the PC from the USB Flash Drive.

The Drive is formatted as a FAT32.

Is there any way to overcome this problem ?

Thank you for your help
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please give more information.

What Media player?
    Post the full details from one of the divx using mediainfo, view text.

But it's usually not that easy to fix without reconverting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply - I don't think its the Media Player as I probably should have stated that I played the DivX file in Panasonic BluRay Player, Topfield PVR and Panasonic Plasma TV.

The Video and Audio play fine and it is only FF which causes problems as stated above.

Maybe from USB there is insufficient resources to carry out this function. As stated playing from USB via PC everything works fine including FF.

Maybe in a Media player (whatever type ) it is not possible to FF from the USB Flash Drive (The Flash Drivre is "SanDisk Cruzer Switch" )
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spblack View Post
    Thanks for your reply - I don't think its the Media Player as I probably should have stated that I played the DivX file in Panasonic BluRay Player, Topfield PVR and Panasonic Plasma TV.
    Yes you should have.

But anyway, NONE of those devices are what we mean when we use the term "media player". We mean something like this:
    http://www.wd.com/en/products/homeentertainment/mediaplayers/

You're not completely wrong in using the term although perhaps you should specify that you mean the media player capability of those devices. Anyway, what you need to know is that media player capabilities in all of those devices is far far below that of a dedicated media player like in my link. On a Western Digital your problem simply does not exist. On all of the things you tried, you have to just accept them for what they are. I know that consumers want to believe that those devices are all "plays anything and plays it perfectly" type devices, but they are all deeply flawed. For example, simply using DTS audio is enough to probably make your TV and PVR both refuse to the play the file, although the BluRay player can probably play such a file (no guarantees though). You want FF? Then buy a real media player. Or live with the reality of using the free capability that came with those devices and understand that it comes with limitations and you've hit one of them.

If you want to install MediaInfo and open one of your problematic Divx files with it and post all the info here, we can look for encoding options that might be problematic. Don't get your hopes up at all here, but there is a small chance that your problem could be caused by an encoding option that those devices don't like. Then again, it's more likely that those players simply can't do FF with Divx, but if you want to take a shot, post the info here so we can look.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I recall a few times playing files with my TVs media player which for reasons I couldn't determine, refused to fast forward, but it's only happened a few times. In my case they've been MKVs containing AVC video. Fortunately the TV's media player has a "go to" function. Instead of fast forwarding, you could try doing it that way, assuming your TV has the same function. In my case I select the Tools button on the remote while the video is playing, it displays the current location and total duration, I highlight it and enter the desired location (time) using the numeric keypad on the remote, then select enter and the player jumps straight there. It cuts down on the need to fast forward even when fast forwarding does work. I generally use my PC as a media player so I jump from one location to the next with the mouse. Having to fast forward when using a media player is frustrating by comparison.

If the problem's only happening with certain files containing Divx video, there's probably something "non standard" about them. What container are they in (AVI, DiVX, MKV etc)?

There's three TVs with built in media players and two Bluray players in this house which play all the common formats. 99% of the files I play, play without an issue. As far as media players go they're not perfect but they're far from being deeply flawed. They'll fast forward when playing video from a USB flash drive so I doubt the drive is the problem. Is it just Divx video, or other types as well?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!