VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Well, finally the time has come. I have now 16gb ram, and need to evolve to win7 64bits.
    There is only one great problem... virtualdubmod.
    I don't know if it is gonna work in there. I search with Saint Google and found little info.
    This great piece of software is like my old shoe. I love it.
    Many (many) years ago I suffer great deal learning how to use it ... and now, donīt want to leave it or replace it.

Just FYI, here is what I usually use & do with VDmod:

USE:
    - avysinth scripts to insert in vdmod Mp4, mkv, flv, and others (first using directshow, but now ffmepgsource)
    - video & audio codecs: all the usually ones, specially xvid, x264, mp3, aac and ac3.
    - vsfilter, textsub, haali and many VDF plugins found on VDmod & vdub friendly software websites.

DO
    - Convert from mkv softsubs to mp4 or avi hardsubs, to watch on tv (softsubs, karaokes or any subs with effects don't work at all). I watch Mp4 connecting to tv directly by usb. Avi, I burn dvd disks and watch them using dvd player's (DivX capable).
    - Correct and clean old videos (Most of cases: Color). Some other stuff too.

And... before I install win7 64 bits, I need to know If it is possible to continue working as usual.

NOTE: I know there is virtualdub 64bits, but also read it isn't stable. Besides, I also need to know if I may continue using all the usual filters (avysinth, ffmpeg2, vsfilter, etc).

----

So?
    Anyone kind enough to give me good news in this matter before I go to 64 bits?
    Thks in advance for every help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. It works fine in 64bits. Just be sure to use 32bit version of all filters you want to use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, finally the time has come. I have now 16gb ram, and need to evolve to win7 64bits.
    There is only one great problem... virtualdubmod.
    I don't know if it is gonna work in there.
    All 32bit x86 compiled software should work flawlessly on Windows 7 64bit.

Originally posted by Baldrick

Just be sure to use 32bit version of all filters you want to use.
    USE:
    - avysinth scripts to insert in vdmod Mp4, mkv, flv, and others (first using directshow, but now ffmepgsource)
    - video & audio codecs: all the usually ones, specially xvid, x264, mp3, aac and ac3.
    - vsfilter, textsub, haali and many VDF plugins found on VDmod & vdub friendly software websites.
    I am not much familiar with Windows 7 directory and registry stuctures. I am getting pretty much outdated for Windows, at-least.

Some AVISynth GuRu can assist you more by shading light on How to use 32bit avisynth and it's filters on Windows 7 (64bit). But, Baldrick suggestion should hold good, if you install all 32 bit version of softwares & filters. Not sure, may be you need to tweak some registry settings so that 64bit system can access 32 bit filters.

I know there is virtualdub 64bits, but also read it isn't stable.
    Probably you need 64 bit versions of all filters, if you use virtualdub 64bit.
    Not sure, Avery Lee made a provision for loading 32 bit filters in virtualdub 64bit, it is possible if it crafted properly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok, thks.
    But it sound kinda strange to use 32bits codec in 64bits windows.
    For starters... when installing, ain't gonna be a warning about trying to use 32bits software?

Virtualdubmod may work 'cause its kind a 'copy and paste' software, but the codecs, plugins and avysinth in 32bits... sounds really odd.
    Are you sure?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No. You can use ALL 32bits software in 64bits windows. No warnings.
    Quote Quote  
  6. just out of curiosity...
    Does VirtualDub x64 install -or- refer to 32 bit plugins in a same directory as 64 bit plugins or a different ones?

update...
    Just download & unarchived VD x64 out of curiosity & I could see only plugins64 directory.

Did anyone here tried loading 32bit plugin from plugins64 directory or by other means?
    B'coz I was able to load 32bit compiled .a and .so successfully in 64 bit compiled program. But for Windows (Visual Studio) programs might be checking it for same bitness. Work around is possible at source level.

So, in short...

On Windows you can install and run...
    1) only 32bit programs and codecs on 32 bit OS.
    2) 32bit and 64 bit programs and codecs on 64 bit OS. But, 64 bit programs can only access 64 bit codecs. 32 bit programs can only access 32 bit codecs.

You can install 32bit,64bit or both virtualdub on 64bit OS.
    32bit virtualdub can access only 32bit plugins/codecs.
    64bit virtualdub can access only 64bit plugins/codecs.
    Last edited by enim; 30th Apr 2014 at 15:17. Reason: update...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Enim... you're the man! ^_^
    That's what I needed.
    Thks a lot.

Baldrick... thks to you too.

---

Well, wish me luck.
    Saturday and sunday I will dedicate all day to install win7 64b, and try to make work all kind of software I need. Including my 'old shoe'... virtualdubmod.
    Hope everything goes fine, but now I'm more confident it will.

Thks again.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!